Skip navigation

the dream..........

Back to the top

the dream..........

RMs  :y:
Nowt wrong with black leather, piped with body colour  :y:
Nice re-trim of what's already in.

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
here's the baby… it'll pull your heart strings!

VAG 20VT - not to shinny but well clean and fills the engine bay up just right dont you think?

to see what it looks like from a distance, not that weird tbh

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top

StevieH said

someone tell what/where/how the hell I get my engine bay lookin like this? and I will kiss ya

Al tell you if you promise not to kiss me

Take this out

Remove all the gubbings

Remove drain tray brackets etc

Remove battery tray

Trim the seams off the chassis legs

Make cardboard templates of the plates then cut out in metal

Weld up plates in sit u to box off chassis legs…along with any holes in the bulkhead you dont want

Fill with catty

Smooth off the drain tray

Prime

Paint, bake over night   

Realise you should have welded up another hole, fill it , flatten it and re paint :banghead:  :banghead:

Buy yourself a 16v engine and give it a clean up

Then you need to spend 1000's on chroming, oh and send that gear box to USA to get done.

10 grand later im sure ull have a better engine bay than that red wun.

GO FOR IT….. U CAN DO IIIIT

Back to the top
10k   8O

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top

kavlfc said

10k   8O

what he said  8O

kin ell though itd be a dear do but not 10k!!
where does all the rest of the front end gubbings go? all the fluid bottles etc?

Back to the top

phatts said

here's the baby… it'll pull your heart strings!

VAG 20VT - not to shinny but well clean and fills the engine bay up just right dont you think?

to see what it looks like from a distance, not that weird tbh

from the one pic that i can see the dash looks great, as do the smoothed doors, and sils on that beauty

Back to the top
*deleted*

Back to the top

StevieH said

kavlfc said

10k   8O

what he said  8O

where does all the rest of the front end gubbings go? all the fluid bottles etc?

Spend what you've got wisely  :wink:

Don't forget, crawl, walk, run  :lol:

When I think I'm walking I fall over & start crawling again  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

StevieH said

what he said  8O

Ull get no change out of 2k for the gear box alone, id presume the head has been done so ur another 500 in that.

Engine 500
Gearbox 2000
Carbs 1000
Painting materials 500
Head work 500

Thats before you buy a part or get anything chromed, crazy money in it matey

Back to the top
managed to see the caddy by typing the web address in manually, that is beautiful. I think it could defo work with what I have in mind  :P

Back to the top
see what i mean about with all you want to do going well with a dark colour?

it took me a while to see that there were no handles etc and that the GTi window pillars are actually there, just body colour… adds an extra bit of "beef" but without if being in your face

the flush engine bay looks sweet and with the minimal 16V in there on carbs it finishes the mk1 off… but depending on what reute you want to go down with your engine/transplant then having it all flushed really depends on whether you going to see all the effort thats been put in… i.e. you cant see anything down the sides of that 20VT, but he's made it look like its meant to be in there  :wink:

from what i've been told its a TT 20VT (220bp) and standard ECU with plenty of tuning to spare

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top

x5pea said

StevieH said

what he said  8O

Ull get no change out of 2k for the gear box alone, id presume the head has been done so ur another 500 in that.

Engine 500
Gearbox 2000
Carbs 1000
Painting materials 500
Head work 500

Thats before you buy a part or get anything chromed, crazy money in it matey

praise the lord for ebay!

Back to the top
engine can defo wait for the moment, although i think when u=i get it resprayed it may be prudent to pu it the new engine then, but the power isnt an issue really, i want a top shiny engine but it can seriously wait for me, it will be (posibly the biggest but last) of the mods i make

Back to the top
Removing the scuttle tray might look nice but the more you think about it, the sillier the idea becomes:

1. Instead of rainwater flowing in the edges of the tray and down/out the engine compartment, it will go into your fan and interior.

2. It removes rigidity

3. An engine bay fire, will soon become a passenger compartment fire, if it occurred.

Sure you can seal up all the holes (I'd prefer to have a heater and blower though - even in a race car) and keep it in a garage, and trailor it to-from shows, but there you go, just my 2p.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Removing the scuttle tray might look nice but the more you think about it, the sillier the idea becomes:

1. Instead of rainwater flowing in the edges of the tray and down/out the engine compartment, it will go into your fan and interior.

2. It removes rigidity

3. An engine bay fire, will soon become a passenger compartment fire, if it occurred.

Sure you can seal up all the holes (I'd prefer to have a heater and blower though - even in a race car) and keep it in a garage, and trailor it to-from shows, but there you go, just my 2p.

horses for courses

Back to the top
true true x5pea

1. rubber gromets, new and a great weather proofing - also put a casing around blower to keep the water out, just leave the sides/top corners open

2. strut brace, solves the rigidity

3. if your gonna go through that much trouble in doing the engine bay and engine your gonna make sure you use new parts and make sure everythings nice n tight - as much risk of fire as any other/standard car

its only there to stop the heat and fumes getting to the blowing and circulating into the compartment… get a head ache - open windows  :wink:

Back to the top
The scuttle panel is part of the firewall, there is no other layer in between (unless you also remove the heater/fan).

Back to the top

x5pea said

Engine 500
Gearbox 2000
Carbs 1000
Painting materials 500
Head work 500

That looks like a Mastercard advert :lol:

Can't wait to see yours finished - any idea when??!!

What's the catty stuff you mentioned if not a daft question - looks like filler - is it something different?

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Im sorry but all he said is he wants smoothed door handles (I do)

And flared arches (I do, plus bigger)

Why dont you just be positive about what the kid wants to do with his car.

Least its another one gettign saved.

Doesnt sound like it would be taistless tbf….

Audi wheels is maybe a bit inaccurate, maybe say 13" 14"

Max 15"

Fair play really enit.

Back to the top
Plus make your engine shiny.

Why not, looks nice.

Also want to do that, fully smoothed.

Basically, dont go crazy with paint, simple looks better.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.