Skip navigation

Most Painful DIY mistake??

Back to the top

Most Painful DIY mistake??

I'm sure that the more seasoned campaigners of you are well aware that getting petrol in your eye stings like an absolute 3itch!!!

I had an incredible petrol leak this morning washing the drive in petrol and looking for the split in the hose a drop of petrol dripped into my eye. Ouch

All fixed now tho but I think that it's quite possible the most painful DIY accident that I've had. Close second is the time that I shocked myself on the hot water tank.

Accident prone or just stupid??

Back to the top
Definitely accident prone…..

I've worked on cars for a number of years, doing seemingly dangerous things as crawling underneath engines while they're on a crane, removing/installing/draining petrol tanks, sorting brake issues, dealing with sharp metal and stuck bolts, etc and the worst injury is a tiny cut on my little finger, on a grinder. Luckily, I had a sturdy set of gloves on + latex mechanics gloves. I was alerted by the strange sound (of the grinder wheel on the glove) and this probably saved me from worse.

Back to the top
Petrol in the eyes is not pleasant. I changed my brother's petrol tank for him and he didn't bother to tell me he'd just put 60 litres in. The stupid thing is after getting petrol in one eye I then went straight back under and got petrol in both eyes. :roll:

I also held on to two plug leads while my brother cranked his engine. Shocked one arm then the other and felt funny for a while after. :roll:

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
The worst on I've had happened when i worked for this company and we had an angel grinder which some idiot had ground through the cable and it had been fixed using them little connector blocks

so when i came to use it it would work intermittently so i decided to redo the wires into the connector blocks I put the grinder on the bench UNPLUGED and went off to find some pliers to strip the wires, unknown to me my boss had come into the workshop and thought "OH I wonder if Andy's Mended the grinder" PLUGGED IT BACK IN tried it  didn't notice it was in pieces and left.
I come back 2 mins later and couldn't find the pliers so how do we strip wires boys and girls when there are no tools? :dontknow:

that's right you use your teeth which i did and got 240volt through them lucky to be here now i suppose I didn't half give my boss a right shafting.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
I pushed a screw driver through my hand when in a rush to get the calipers back in on my bike that hurt a bit till I passed out lol.

Moral is, never rush and never try too hard that is when accidents happen.

Since then I've tried to just be calm and take my time with stuff and even if it takes a little longer it pays off in the end :)

Back to the top
ive got a healthy scar on the palm of my left hand where i put a chissel thru it !

Back to the top
Hitting ya thumb with a hammer, now thats a killer

Back to the top
not really an accident due to DIY but worthy nontheless..

a couple of years ago when on my old paper round (6am starts 7 days a week.. ?16 :|) there's a corner (a junction actually) which normally i can take at full speed after coming 1/2 mile down a hill.. about 20 mph, as long as there's no traffic and i get the line right

anyway, the night before it had been raining, but my tyres were built for it, but the problem was i was going a little slower than usual, but turned the same, and clipped my front wheel over a smooth manhole cover.

you can guess what happened, but instead of rolling, because of the angle i was at (i think) i flipped over and ground to a halt on my elbow and knee.

spent the rest of the day in hospital, but the thing that really did it was seeing the whiteness of me shin bone 8O ouch!!

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
If anyone is familiar with Indian Stone flags, they come in big wooden crates. Once snapping a side off the crate you have to hand ball the flags out.

Can be quite fiddly!

I took a small square piece out, and in doing so dislodged the whole set, about 15 sq metres of indian stone fell onto my finger and squashed it against another flag.

Nail and finger went blue straight away, and bled profusely until the nail dropped off and I decided I needed a bandage  :lol:

Not a glamorous accident but a painful one to say the least.

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
My mate lives at a house next to a school. They have them big massive bins on wheels. He was wheeling it down to his house to put some rubbish in, its on a slight hill. He was messing about and he fell over in front of it and the bin ran his over his hand :lol:  :lol: Was so funny it was unreal but he was in pain and the thumb nail went black an fell off lol

Can ya imagine, death by wheelie bin :lol:

Back to the top

ouch

Hi I work for British Gas and we have to brief the engineers with a presentation of how someone cut off part of his hand using a power saw, all fingers and part of the palm, and another of a cut on the wrist. Pics available if requested but not pretty.
Alex

Back to the top

Re: ouch

alexi said

Hi I work for British Gas and we have to brief the engineers with a presentation of how someone cut off part of his hand using a power saw, all fingers and part of the palm, and another of a cut on the wrist. Pics available if requested but not pretty.
Alex

you'll get some people that like that kind of thing.. i for one am not one of them 8O

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
can relate to that, was re routing fuel lines on a bangor and dropped loads of fuel in my earhole lol, funny now but wow thats some pain,

Back to the top
show us the pics alexi  :D

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

show us the pics alexi  :D

told ya so :mrgreen:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Cutting a coil spring to lower a car a few years ago, :roll:  

I used an angle grinder and after i cut, I decided I wanted to reposition the coil spring on the car as it wasn't sitting in the seat properly.  So i had gloves on and tried to move it,  my hand slipped and the extremely hot sharp end pierced the glove and my thumb instantly burning a 15mm hole in the end and cortorising it.  Blood, wimper, blood….

Back to the top
when i use to work on the building sites i was knockin some steel rebar into the ground with a 15 pound sledge hammer as i swung it i totally missed the peg and it the top of it with my knuckle instead squashing it and popping it!  8O

needed physio for my finger to get the movement back lol!

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

when i use to work on the building sites i was knockin some steel rebar into the ground with a 15 pound sledge hammer as i swung it i totally missed the peg and it the top of it with my knuckle instead squashing it and popping it!  8O

needed physio for my finger to get the movement back lol!

you crazy man! how did you manage to hit your knuckle with a 15pound sledge hammer?
Dont you use those in the standing position both hands on the shaft?
Do you mean a lump hammer?
Sounds terribly painful none the less!

My dad has a cool story for a scar on his hand, a scar that goes from his thumb to his wrist. And my dad has big hands  :lol:

He was fixing a factory roof, you know the ones, corrugated steel with plastic sections to let the light through.

Although I think this was in the 1600's so it was probably asbestos.

He was climbing across and SNAP, bye bye dad. he fell through the roof, it was a high factory, not one of those low ones  :lol:
If it wasnt for that pallet of castle cement he would of been dead.

Hallelujah Castle Cement :)

Back to the top
i was tryin to gently tap it in got it to stay upright in the ground and went to give it a slighty bigger 'tap' using it like a hammer with two hands sort of speak and woops!

Back to the top
ouch

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.