Skip navigation

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142

Back to the top

1980 GTI

Thanks for the kind comments. It's really appreciated.

I've had to register again as the forum dropped me off when I tried to post some pics!!

I spent most of the afternoon polishing and waxing inside the boot!
I used a course cutting compound to bring the shine up, but think I'll go over it with T-cut when the car's back home. T-cut gives a finer sheen and is a little easier to work with.

Finally got to put my paint code sticker on the boot floor.

Tomorrow's job is to clean up years of grime and dust from the boot matting. I will be using a nailbrush and a stiff paintbrush with some Autoglym plastic refinisher. Should work a treat.
If time permits, then I'll try and lower the springs about 2 inches.

I found a shop that sells pinstripes for cars as well. They've had 10m of the stuff on the shelf for years. Mine for a fiver. That's enough for about 6 cars! I'll need to pull the car out from against the wall to be able to correctly line the tailgate stripe up from a distance. As it is too difficult to see if it's straight when up close.

You will see correct paint code sticker in exact location as old one. Sorry, I haven?t cleaned the rear screenwash bottle yet!

Back to the top
On Friday I decided to drop the suspension and trial fit the wheels. I need to machine bolt lengths and calculate spacers and whether arches need trimming at the rear etc.
I wound the car to the bottom of the coilovers and the metal arch was touching the tyre after about 2 hours of suspension settling. Finally lifted them back up. I think the front is ok, but maybe need to raise the back about 10 to 15 mm. The rear arches will need a little trimming on the inner, top edge.
Will be Tuesday before I do anymore. I've got to finish the boot and rear screen off.

And as for intended use…Clear Blue sky days when I'm not working. My mk2 GTI will take up the hardship of everyday life and every weather condition you can think of.

Back to the top
what spoiler have you used on the front mate

Back to the top

butler said

what spoiler have you used on the front mate

looks like a CL one or similar. Just a standard non GTI one anyway.

Are you putting the arch covers back on, or just leaving it for the stones!  :twisted:  8O

Looks awesome BTW!  8)

Back to the top
what a bueaty!! nice work!

Back to the top
Oh wow, looks stunning - and I want those wheels!!!

Where did you get your paint code sticker from?

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

resto

i to love that spoiler
were did you get it from?

keep up the good work mate

1983 black gti ELD380Y 

Back to the top
mate that is won sweet mk1 and luv them wheels hope myn comes out half as good as that

:D  sweet

Back to the top
Nice wheels, are they vintage alleycats?

Back to the top
Thanks again, for the kind encouragement.

The rear arches will be going on, but I have to trim them slightly.

The car will look totally stock apart from wheels and stance. Of course the standard front lower spoiler has to stay on due to clearance issues!

I made the paint code sticker by advising a man with a 'plotter'. Which essentially is the machine that prints decals in the modern world. It cost ?1 a sticker!!

More pics as I go through.

Back to the top
That looks amazing!
pretty much my dream mk1 you've built there! well done#

Can't wait to see it finished and with the interior in.

Back to the top
Just the job 8) I love the wheels and the look from the front…

Is that your workshop or are you borrowing it from a mate?

Rich

Back to the top
The garage is a unit opposite the garage where all the body work was done. They keep the workshops separate from each other, so that waxoyl and silicone based products won't contaminate the paint booths. I have run out of money with them and need to complete the restoration myself! It's more fun anyway, but difficult to fit enough time in, as it's a 40 mile round trip from home.

I have used a fantastic product today that is unfortunately for now, a secret. It is from a generic container on the shelf and is used in the automotive trade for cleaning plastics. It just had 'vinyl gel' written on the side (with a marker pen). I was advised to use it for all the old faded plastic parts of the car. One of the worst areas was the boot floor mat that I had. Overall in good, unripped condition, but very dirty and full of stains. I used a stiff paint brush and stippled the gel on.

What a result!
You will see the difference in the sections where I have, and haven't done.

Up close, the finish is lovely and looks brand new. I asked for some and they told me that they would ask their source, but expect it to cost the earth!! It looks similar to an Autoglym product that was available, but I think this one is better. I am going to run a test between the 2 products next week, when I have to do the dash and centre console..

Finished results with the mat in place.

I then re-glued the spare wheel well fabric patches into their correct location. Thanks to Crazyquiff for the over-the-phone-guidance, whilst he consulted his unrestored '80 GTI.

I also managed to get the rear screen cleaned up and in place. The waxoyl worked a treat and will protect from the elements as a bonus.
It took some time to clean the glass as all the copper had started to oxidise with a thick Black line of dirt across it. Needed a careful hour with a razor blade to scrape without cutting!

I did cut the holes for the rear wiper and wash, but ran out of time when it came to a photo and finishing putting the motor in. Again, a dab of waxoyl around the holes will ensure it stays clean, dry and rot free.

No more updates for a week now. I've got to work!

1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
I'm really enjoying see your MK1 develop. That cleaner sounds interesting.

Ref the spare wheel well strips, never knew these existed!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The strips vary through the years. I seem to remember an early one I had, used to have 6 of them, and they were in 2 different sizes. They usually fall out or get wet and messy, then pulled out. These are actual ones from a 1980 car that was broken recently. I mentioned using the car for its seat hinges, earlier in this thread.
Glad you share my enthusiasm for the car. It's getting very close now.
I can't wait to polish it and drive it for the first time in 4 years!!

1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
dude what rims are they?

Back to the top
bbs e30, beautiful

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Seeing as a few people have asked me…

The wheels are indeed BBS E30, with the E32 centre design.
They are genuine Magnesium alloy centres with spun Aluminium rims. The rims are 14'', with 7 at the front and 8 at the back. Tyres are 195/40 R14 continental. All the bolts are stainless with Alloy washers and stainless nylock nuts.
As they are 'race only' wheels, I had to have some bolt hole adapters made to accept chamfered bolts. Even the bolts were specially ordered in 60mm length, so that I could play with spacers to get them right.
When the wheels came to me, they had seen better days and needed stripping and repainting.
Then I had to find a set of 58mm centre caps in stainless. Not easy or cheap!! I've left the original fading Gold centre badges as they add some authenticity to their age.
The wheels are my absolute favourite choice and took me an age to track and buy. I even managed to find 2 spare centres recently in Germany. They have been stripped and etch primed to protect them.
I will have to split the wheels again in about 18 months and have them X-ray'd for fractures or cracks, then get them chromated and painted again.
They are not an easy wheel to own!!

You can see them chemically stripped using Calcium in this photo (centres only).

And a glimpse of their construction. They use a rubber bead and a metal gasket to seal the 2 rim halves. Tyre is not inflated when centre is missing are no bolts holding them together!

A close up of the very rough cast surface, which is very difficult to paint. You can see some oxidising around the bolt holes. They had to be cleaned again, or it would wreck the paint. Bare Magnesium doesn't like the atmosphere…too much moisture.

1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
what offset are they? i'm thinking of fitting some 14x8 splits with 195/40 and i think your car has just convinced me to stay with that plan!

just wondered about the offset as i've been recommended to get about et10 out back, but i like the way yours sit, so some info would be great :y:

want as much dish as possible, naturally ;)

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
8O must have set you back a small fortune!

got any pics pre-paint?

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better
There are too many online users to list.