Skip navigation

1983 Black GTi Restoration UPDATED!

Back to the top

*1983 Schwartz Black GTi Restoration* UPDATED!

Redbaron said

Also saving so Timski can do mine if/when he's back from the Fatherland.

me too  :D

awesome work mate.

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
Not been updated for a while, but i went down to see my car on Friday as it is now all finished, i have had all new genuine window seals fitted along with all my genuine VW stamped green tinted glass.
Also had new genuine sunroof seals fitted.
Car was transported back to me in Leicester on Sunday morning and has now gone into storage and i will now begin the re-bulid!
Heres some pics for you to admire :)

1983 VW Golf GTi Black (Resto)
2009 AUDI Q5 3.0 TDi (Daily)
2007 AUDI A4 Avant TDi S-Line SE (Daily)

Back to the top
that is stunning, awesome finish on it, need to get mine  done   :banghead:

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
Looks amazing great effort...

Back to the top
Looks awesome mate. Great effort.

My plan is to spray mine black……what paint code did you use?  How much paint did it need for the first and then top coat??

Back to the top
Fantastic work - I took a Beetle back to bare metal many years ago and it's not an easy task! Good luck with the re-build mate, keep the thread updated  :)

'84 Oak Green Tin Top GTI.
'84 T25.
'68 Bay.
'67 Beetle.

Swansea VAGabonz third Monday of the month.

Back to the top
Well bit of progrss today the weather has been so horrible that my car is still tucked away in a warm garage until it gets a bit warmer!
So as i had some free time i thought i would build up my grille, i had already re-furbed the red trim in the summer so now it was just a case of putting it all together!
I managed to get hold of a genuine Brand New Hella/VAG twin light grille, these are now obsolete so i did well to get it!
Felt like xmas again when i un-wrapped it lol!

Then i added my red trims top and bottom

Also managed to locate 2 brand new genuine VAG grille ends so added my red grille trim to these also!

Then added my brand new genuine badges and new Hella Inner lamps and its all finished hope you like it!!

Back to the top
See you had new wings, which make did you use and did they require
a lot of messing with to make them fit properly.By the way thats going
to be a lovely golf when all back together.

Back to the top
Yeah its had 2 brand new Genuine VAG wings brought direct from VW, so the fit is perfect, when i ordered them there was only a couple left in the factory but i have read on here that they have all gone now!

Back to the top
Hey,

Just had a read through, fantastic stuff! How is the rebuild going, much progress?

Cheers
Joe

1992 Pearl Green Clipper Cab - 16v (9a block, KR head, GSXR600 Carbs) :)

Back to the top
Right not updated this for ages due to being really busy and also becoming a dad! But starting to get back on with it and hopefully some progress will be made in the next few months......will keep you updated!

Back to the top
looks forward to seeing updates mate, car and bits looking awsome !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Started to sort through SOME of the bits i have to go back on the car, been buying loads of bits for it since i bought it back in 2006 and here we have 6 large boxes of all genuine VAG parts and thats just a little bit of what i have for it!!

Back to the top
Well as i had today off work i decided it was time to go and start the old girl i couldn't believe it that i last heard her starting 3 years ago! Had to change one wheel over as it had a completely flat tyre and put some air in another as it was a bit low, also took a battery that i had been charging overnight.

She looks so tiny in the garage but at least she has been well protected these last 3 years! checked her over and looks like the water pump has been leaking a little but that will be replaced anyway.

Put the battery on but couldn't get her to start so went and got some petrol and a new set of spark plugs tried again and she started up 2nd time which was nice to hear after so long!
Couldn't resist backing her out even though it seems one of the wheels is slightly stuck on but freed off as i backed it out more.
Had another look around the car in the light and then pulled her back in the garage, now need to decide on what area i'm gonna concentrate on 1st!

Back to the top
Well I have had the last week off so decided it was time i took my car out of my lock up to finally get started on putting it back together i've had it over 10 years now so needed to do this!
So here are some pictures of what i have been doing so far for you to look at feel like i have made a bit of progress and it feels good.
I got the car back to my house and gave it a quick pressure wash off it wouldn't start at first with a new battery and fuel so gave the starter a bang and she fired up was great to hear her come back to life it had been 4 years since i last stated her up.

Dried her off and gave her a hoover out:

Fitted some new little bits of trims the 3 blanking plugs in each door and the seals that run around the door frame.

New upper window seals fitted ordered the hockey stick seals from CQ so they should be here this week.

Decided i wanted to get some sound deadening to go under the carpet underlay, i wasn't going to go mad with it and only wanted to fit it where it wouldn't been seen when it was finished.
After looking a few different options i went for the Dynamat Superlite which is not cheap at all but looks like the best stuff out there.
Started with the front:

then moved onto the rears also fitted the original 'horse saddle' over the gear stick.

Rear Door cards done:

New underlay fitted:

Rear carpet down:

Front carpet down:

Really happy with the result i bought this genuine carpet years ago and its in excellent condition:

Thats it for now will get some more updates soon!

Back to the top
The carpet looks really good. Coming on nicely ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks Lovely, makes me want to crack on with my one!!:lol:

Back to the top

stev said

Looks Lovely, makes me want to crack on with my one!!:lol:

Do it mate! I kept putting it off and putting it off but once you get started you get the buzz to carry on.

Back to the top
I cannot believe how long it has been since I last updated this post but with the current lockdown I actually have some spare time to work on the car! So got a few jobs done in the last couple of weeks.

1. Fitted a MK2 Golf front wiper motor and fitted the rear wiper motor along with all the wiper arms and brand new blades.
2. Fitted all the window seals
3. Rebuilt the horn and fitted this and got it working
4. Fitted a new aerial to the front wing

Fitted my genuine NOS front and rear bumpers, number plate holder, badges, side mouldings, front grille, wing mirrors and all brand new lights front and rear got these all working correctly which was good except for my reverse lights these are permanently stuck on and then when I put it in reverse they go out think it's the switch but might try and clean it out first.

6DAB7B52-5682-4639-BDEC-F07AEF81AC9F.jpeg

D8BD356B-9E9F-4B47-A593-0F8E6488D810.jpeg 5E055FAA-E2EA-41D7-AA10-1E66C4D586E0.jpeg

Fitted new front duckbill spoiler and gave it a quick polish it came up well!

Hopefully get on with a few more bits in the next few days.

E0C09456-ED01-4A27-9565-74CA549D57AA.jpeg 531F45FD-C313-4A34-8EF2-793F5A3E14F1.jpeg

Last edit: by Fozzie

Back to the top
Looks lovely!!
You are a lucky man having NOS bumpers.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.