Skip navigation

supersprint 16v conversion manifold in but it fouls the stee

Back to the top

supersprint 16v conversion manifold in but it fouls the stee

Didn't that guy Terry someone - gtimadman i think he is called on the forums….

His black gti was in Golf mag a fews years back and i remember something about the manifold having to be cut and lengthened at the top - his was an abf i think… :dontknow:

Back to the top
I really don't want to get into a situation where theres any bad feeling based on advice given, so i'm going to go put a sodding great 'at your own risk' warning in the FAQ…. :oops:.  I was trying to make it steer clear of being advice and be more of a 'design options' list.

The number of people that have contacted me with any mistakes, extra info etc for the FAQ is…..zero.  Thats not because its right, just becuse people don't bother, they take advice and then bugger off.

anyway…

Does this mean that the ABF manifold can't be used then?  So the 'common' advice i've been told over the past few years isn't true? Or is it just really close?  Could it be a manufacturing issue on the supersprint?

Hope it all works out!

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
It might be worth posting this on Edition38 - I know several people on there are running ABF Mk1s with the supersprint manifold, just like you heard I knew this manifold to be the perfect fit for the tall block.  Yours unfortunatly is the first I have heard of it not fitting right  :(

The only thing I can think of, did your car start its life as a small block 1.1/1.3?  Could it be that when you welded on the new engine mount it is positioned slighly too far back/forward/low or something meaning that the engine is just slightly in the wrong position?

Hope you get it sorted  :)

Back to the top
Just to be clear, is this manifold for a 16v kr or an abf conversion?

Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design

Back to the top

dunc said

Just to be clear, is this manifold for a 16v kr or an abf conversion?

Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design

That's the Ashley manifold, its for "normal" block not tall block, so that means its for KR (or 9A), NOT ABF. (Having said that some people have used it for an ABF and it fitted, maybe with adjustment, but I'd not recommend that).

Back to the top
so what was the conclusion here gents?!

As am needing to purchase a manifold soon as!! Was going to go for an ashely to fit to the abf..?! :dontknow:

Cheers Al.

Back to the top
Surely someone is making manifolds specifically for range of 16v engines into mk1 by now ( that fit)

Back to the top
2 manufacturers are - the details are in the FAQ.

Back to the top
I wish not to add to an argument but I think this should be said.
Cars are bloody hard work. For example f1 teams spends millions on a single car and sometimes they don't even move of the grid. So let's agree to establish cars will always give you issues.
I think its a bit unfair to get upset for wrong advice as advice is only usually given when asked.
I for one and really grateful for some of the really good top advice I've received from people. I'm not going to say names but some people on here really know their stuff and must collectively save the users of this forum thousands.
So thank you for all the advice I've ever received from all you guys on here.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.