Skip navigation

Mk2 G60 Limited

Back to the top

Mk2 G60 Limited

So I bought one of my all time favourite Golfs a couple of months ago - a Mk2 Golf G60 Limited. Eh? For those not in the know the Limited is a rare beast, just 71 being hand built by VW Motorsport in Hannover between 1989 and 1990. Built to compete against the BMW's E30 M3 and Lancia's Integrale, the Limited was based on a Synchro 5 door bodyshell, powered by an individually blue printed 16V G60 engine that was unique to the Limited and Synchro 4WD. Stock power was 210 bhp, but this was raised to 240 bhp for the later models by tinkering with the ECU maps. This was VW's most powerful engine until the introduction of the R32. Gearchange is on the notchy side with cable shifting and the hydraulically controlled clutch is harsh. The Synchro system is identical to the Rallye, power is transferred to the rear wheels upon detecting front wheel slip. This enables the Limited to corner hard, very hard. In fact planting the right foot mid-corner in the dry brings a tighter turn, wet conditions do not slow progress down too much. The brakes are superb, 280 mm discs up front and little pedal effort brings the car down from high speeds. Bosch 3 channel ABS may prove useful but not required as yet. Currently my car is on coilovers and set too low for my liking. Probably OK on motorways and decent A roads, but ride is too harsh for the majority of UK roads. I will experiment with raising them, but I may fit the stock suspension that was supplied with the car. Quick steering rack, again as on the Rallye, controls the front BBS split RMs. Equipment levels are high making the car heavy for a Mk2 but leather heated seats/door panels are nice in appearance although less practical for high speed cornering, electric headlamp height adjustment not much use to me, electric/heated mirrors, electric windows front and rear and sunroof are welcome additions. Generally excessive compared to a Mk1! Oddities include US spec small bumpers with large indicators, VWMS grille and badges and passenger sunvisor with illuminated vanity mirror. Boot space is reduced due to high floor for the Synchro. Finally each Limited is equipped with a unique VWMS chassis plate on the slam panel featuring the sequential number 00-71. Incidentally the VIN is not of the same structure as normal production Mk2 but specially provided by VWMS and also used for prototypes.

My Limited is No 41, the only official VW UK import and used by VW UK's press office to demonstrate a car that was already sold out and only available to order in Germany! Still NNV was road tested by many magazine journalists and I have all the features from VW Audi Car to Autocar. VW Press Office number plates, tax disc holder and even the V5 are nice reminders of the car's heritage. NNV has only done 52k miles (some driven by Tiff Needell!) and has been well cared for by previous owners, the metallic anthracite paintwork is in great condition.

Unfortunately 2 days after purchase the Jabbasport stage 4 G-Lader blew. A low loader courtesy of Footman James saw me home. I now found myself looking for the most expensive part of a Limited save the body shell. A new one was sourced from Germany along with new air cleaner housing, inlet pipe, oil feed pipe, air ducts and various other seals and fixings. Even my friendly VW dealer felt sorry for me! Still here was a chance to return the car to the way it was built - off with the broken charger, induction kit and HID headlamp kit and on with fresh new parts. Opening the charger's broken casing showed belt failure forcing a jammed scroll and broken auxiliary shaft. Hmm, some expensive worthless metal for the mantlepiece then! All air pipes, intercooler (and gauze filter) and radiator were flushed through to ensure no shards of metal could do any damage. Finally I cleaned up the complete front end while it was off and a oil and filter change completed the job. So 2 months after purchase I am back on the road. A wash and wax ready for the VW Players show today to commence the run in stage of the new charger and I remembered the reason I bought one of VW's least known miracles - the Limited, (definition: wolf in sheep's clothing)  8)

Broken charger - ouch!

Large intercooler!

Back on the road at last!

Banner

Back to the top
very nice Rajan. Lucky lucky guy.

A special car indeed.  8)

Nice write-up to. :Y:

Back to the top
Rick Walker of R&A design used to own that iirc………at some point it was converted to RHD too 8O but then converted back :wink:  I couldnt understand why someone would do that to such a rare and LHD only car……………
Very nice example of a very very rare car now though,

PS…. can you leave some cars for the rest of us to buy now :wink:

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Lovely, bet you're glad to be up and running again  8)

2 1983 Campains (concours & track)
1985 Blue GTi Ragtop
2001 Bora Estate TDi SE (very very rare)
2000 Golf TDI commuter
2005 T5 Transporter with 394000 miles on it!

Back to the top
looks stunning old chap, do you need to sell the 76 gti now? :pray:

Back to the top

dojodubber said

If I can find someone to look after it!  :wink:

Banner

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

Rick Walker of R&A design used to own that iirc………at some point it was converted to RHD too 8O but then converted back :wink:  I couldnt understand why someone would do that to such a rare and LHD only car……………
Very nice example of a very very rare car now though,

PS…. can you leave some cars for the rest of us to buy now :wink:

Yes Rick was the third owner. Back to LHD now with genuine VW parts  :wink:

Banner

Back to the top
Did that come up from Kent?

only asking coz I saw one at the last Bluewater meet identical to your one that was for sale??

very nice car, was very tempted myself but am a bum and have no cash!!!

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top
nice looking car,

i always wondered what these cars were ever since i saw one on wikipedia!

i love the subtle detailing as well, and especially the fact that it has the practicality of four doors,

nice one 8)

Back to the top

dubboy said

dojodubber said

i will look after it ill love lots and lots :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
That is gorgeous.  8O I want your car so bad :D . Take of her u lucky fella. Can i just ask how much did that cost to buy and how much is it to insure? Just to put things into perspective for me  :lol:

Rust isn't c##p, it's lighter than carbon fibre

Back to the top
if i were to insure it id be looking at ?700 with an excess of ?500!! hope dubboy can do it cheaper than that!  :wink:

Back to the top

trev56 said

That is gorgeous.  8O I want your car so bad :D . Take of her u lucky fella. Can i just ask how much did that cost to buy and how much is it to insure? Just to put things into perspective for me  :lol:

should of followed it on ebay mate.  :wink:

Back to the top

el_sicko said

if i were to insure it id be looking at ?700 with an excess of ?500!! hope dubboy can do it cheaper than that!  :wink:

Cost me ?120 to add to my policy on an agreed value.

Banner

Back to the top
so whens the car transporter arriving!? :lol:

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top

dubboy said

dojodubber said

OO Oo pick me :D

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Giving the Limited a run out for the summer. Stuck on a new bushed wishbone and adjusted the headlights for the MOT and hit the road. First outing was at the first annual meet of the newly formed Mk2 Golf Owners Club http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/ up at Billing where she drew the crowds. Nice bunch of guys so if you have a Mk2 why not join up?

Took some pics before going in as the sun was out  8)

Banner

Back to the top
Rick Walker took me out in it

I bought my first Mk1 off him about 15 years ago

Back to the top

Back to the top
Rajan the G60 looks very nice.

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.