Skip navigation

Are your mk1's Daily Drivers

Back to the top

Are your mk1's Daily Drivers

el_sicko said

can an old engine cope? how far do you all travel every day in your mk1s?
As old fart states i totally agree with him, when you do has he said, you should have no worries out of your little beaut.
Mine does between 8-11k yearly, i go everywhere with it.
I managed to suss out the problem with water or moisture getting on electrics,  i have fitted a blank piece or strong card behind the grill on one side of the grill to prevent moisture getting to electrics and works a treat, on way from london about 2am the temp dropped and it was very cold, usually the car would lose power, common on these blocks, not a blip car drove beautifully as it should.
Pete  :wink:

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

el_sicko said

can an old engine cope? how far do you all travel every day in your mk1s?
As old fart states i totally agree with him, when you do has he said, you should have no worries out of your little beaut.
Mine does between 8-11k yearly, i go everywhere with it.
I managed to suss out the problem with water or moisture getting on electrics,  i have fitted a blank piece or strong card behind the grill on one side of the grill to prevent moisture getting to electrics and works a treat, on way from london about 2am the temp dropped and it was very cold, usually the car would lose power, common on these blocks, not a blip car drove beautifully as it should.

Let's be reasonable, yes old fart is right but you do drive a 1997 Citi! It's hardly a Series 1.

Tian :|

Back to the top
Maybe I should fit the cardboard screen thingies to either side of the radiator behind the grille? I always assumed these were to encourage air to be pushed air through the radiator, but I guess they also stop damp air blowing into the engine bay…
I'm gonna get me some and fit them right away - thanks for making me think :roll:

Back to the top
Tian,
       The car is a series 17, but the engine is a series 2, 1.5 conversion from the x reg i had, original was a 1.3 but too slow for family.
But the car is a mk1 regardless of year, same design in block, except less or no rust, plus i have cup holders in my centre console :lol:

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

Tian,
       The car is a series 17, but the engine is a series 2, 1.5 conversion from the x reg i had, original was a 1.3 but too slow for family.
But the car is a mk1 regardless of year, same design in block, except less or no rust, plus i have cup holders in my centre console :lol:

Oh!

Tian :mrgreen:

Back to the top
I take the cabby to work on fridays and the weekend if I aint working at my other job. Daily driver is a 98 Fiat Seicento 899cc, windless bag with no more refinements than the X reg cabby.

I'd like to make the cabby my daily driver cos Im house buying but if I sold the fiat id get nothing for it and its been ultra reliable, plus its CHEAP to run so I can (just about) justify 2 motors!

Back to the top
just worked out ive done 32k in 2 years 8O buts shes fine with it. 8)

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
I got my e reg caby last december and have covered 27k miles in it so far in under 12 months, its had everything replaced as well now

WWW.Wide-Wheels.co.uk   Coming to you real soon!!

Back to the top
Hate to admit it but I doubt if I covered 500 miles this year only went out in it about 5-6times ,longest trip was to Castle Combe only to be told I was too loud 8O

Its a 1966 MG Midget,one owner from new,fully restored,belongs to my lad(whose 2!! get em started young! :lol: )

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
my cabby's a daily driver too,  she does about 5k a year, and despite not liking starting just now, will continue to be my daily driver, she's faaar faaaar too much fun to leave on the driveway.

besides the driveway can only hold 2 cars and my other half's already taken that space up with his ibeza fr 1.9 tdi (so no tintop as a stand in for me).

having her as my daily driver does make refurbing her interesting tho, currently don't have any passenger seats or carpet :D

…..or stereo or vents or doorcards…missing a few window winders…lol..

BEWARE KY05 UCO, blind and deaf white haired driver of red transit, avoid at all costs, he thinks running cars on to the verge is ok. i'm fine, car's fine, mood and make up not so good.

Back to the top
As usual…spoke too soon…battery went flat today - luckily I'd seen it coming and had a spare one charged up!
Seem to have a strange electrical fault - changing alternator didn't solve low volts reading on voltmeter…seems to be some funny (ha bloody ha!)earth fault in the ignition switch…
investigation continues…car is running OK, but I don't like battery problems -they let you down and leave you stuck!

Back to the top

Oldfart said

As usual…spoke too soon…battery went flat today - luckily I'd seen it coming and had a spare one charged up!
Seem to have a strange electrical fault - changing alternator didn't solve low volts reading on voltmeter…seems to be some funny (ha bloody ha!)earth fault in the ignition switch…
investigation continues…car is running OK, but I don't like battery problems -they let you down and leave you stuck!

Always park on a hill and don't leave home without jump leads!

Tian :wink:

Back to the top
I dont use my golf as a daily drive……my girlfriend does :(  i use my mk2 jetta 1.8carb, its only done 35,000 so quite like a new car apart from dints where the old granny i bought it off kept hitting things(wheelarch kits done the job).As for milage in the mk1 my gf does about 65-80 each week day then its mine for the weekend :D and she pays for me to be on her insurance as the car is my baby. cant complain too much better than it sitting outside in the rain rusting up

Golf mk1 formel E

Jetta mk2 GL(daily drive)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.