Skip navigation

Project "little monster"

Back to the top

Project "little monster"

The point of no return - the right engine mount has been cut off, to make space for the VR6 which will take up different engine mounts

The engine crane takes the strain of the VR6 + gearbox

Can you make an insurance claim if you drive into your own car's engine?

Up and over, not too much hassles with a big engine crane

Took a fair amount of wiggling round the sides, but its in.

As can be seen, its not quite sitting at its final position - its tilted forwards. I have a trolley jack under the gearbox to play around with positions, but the first critical positioning will be gained from fitting will be the driveshafts. Since the differential on the VR6 is wider than the original, I can't use the old driveshafts as it is, also I need to upgrade to 100mm flanges. So, a bit of shopping for some cabby driveshafts will be done.

Then I'll need to shorten one or both of them, I think I'll shorten the left one, so that I get as much clearance between engine and chassis as possible.

Once that's done, I can bolt it in again with the driveshafts attached, then make a template for the left rear engine mount. I'll probably design something with loads of adjustment range in it. Then knowing the relative dimensions, I can also fabricate the right rear mount. Once positioned like this, the front mount should be relatively easy.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cant believe the speed of progress, well done Paul!!

Banner

Back to the top
Okay, its been around a month since the last post. I've been tied up with sorting out my daily driver (which was eventually replaced) and also doing loads of tuning on the other GTI of mine.

Anyway, I'm now at the stage of sorting out the driveshafts. The VR6's gearbox is 10mm wider at the flanges, so this means I'd need to shorten one of the driveshafts; and also fit 100mm flanges. I am wondering, are 02A gearboxes also 10mm wider at the flanges and if so, what do people typically do about shortening the driveshafts? Is there an off-the-shelf one which fits?

Back to the top
speak to Al on the caddy forum he knows what to do :wink:

Back to the top
Just had a check…..he reused the same driveshafts, I think. Its possible that the caddy started out with 100mm CVJs and he absorbed the 10mm difference in length, in the CVJs themselves. I read somewhere that someone did this initially and the car drove fine, but then had issues later on so had to re-address this area. In any case, I've found a couple of companies who can do 'custom' driveshafts or adapt my original ones - after all, I have a power upgrade to worry about as well. I'm going to make sure they're 300bhp-capable, for the nitrous.

Back to the top
wow :P

Back to the top
loving this  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
i would sooooo pay somone to do this ...

Back to the top

chris_VW_1987 said

i would sooooo pay somone to do this …

How much money do you have? And could you honestly afford it…and the extra insurance, etc.???

Back to the top
well ,  im a student … so no lol :D but like once im done … i should have loads tbh :D

will get it done then !

it should be crazy fast !

Back to the top
Aaaah ok no worries, I thought you were serious for one moment then. Its just, I've just ordered the first 'bespoke' component, a one-off driveshaft. I could phone the supplier and ask him to do 2…

Back to the top
wow ... like overall ? ... how much does this cost ?

Back to the top

chris_VW_1987 said

wow … like overall ? … how much does this cost ?

Don't know, but I'm keeping track of all the costs. I have the costs so far, and an idea of the larger cost items coming up.

Back to the top
thats what i wanted to do have to think of something else now!

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top
i've been in a mk3 VR6

i reeaaaaaaaallly cant imagine what that BEAST of a engine will be like in a mk1 go kart ….

would be well worth the money

Back to the top

bbsmk1 said

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…eName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

?

Back to the top

paul_c said

bbsmk1 said

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…eName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

?

8O  8O  8O  8O

Back to the top
5 door series one r32 power

:drool:  8O  8O  :lol:

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top
Update: can't really do much until I have the driveshafts back, so I'm just addressing odds and ends. Here's the little bracket on the clutch pedal transferred, so I can use a hydraulic clutch.

Mk1 clutch pedal on left, VR6 on right. Note its bracket

5 mins later, with a grinder…

All ready to weld

Welded

Cleaned up welds with a wire brush

Sprayed in primer. I'll paint it black tomorrow.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.