Skip navigation

Oldest and Newest golfs on here.

Back to the top

no such thing as a 74 car as far as i know :scratch:  although vw did start production in late 74' first cars built were 75's, i have seen one early wreck which was a N reg although it was hard to tell it was even a golf :lol:

Dubboy where are you, right back to the footy :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Production of the Mk1 started in March '74, but there was no Model Year (MY) '74 only '75. So all 1974 cars had a "5" in the VIN until July 1975. In summary:

March '74 > July '74 = MY 1975 = M reg
August '74 > July '75 = MY 1975 = N reg
August '75 > June '76 = MY 1976 = P reg
and so on

Theoretically an M reg is possible as a LHD import but I am not sure how many RHD were produced before July '74. All the VW launch press pics and first road tests I have show N reg cars so maybe none at all.

Banner

Back to the top
It would be weird seeing Walt's cabby alongside Stu's swallowtail. Interesting, but weird!

Back to the top

paul_c said

dubboy said

I probably have the oldest GTi in the club if not the world - built 18th June 1976, 2-3 weeks into production.

But you will be able to read more about that soon…

Do you also have the oldest UK car, ie before the GTI there were swallowtails, etc? Stu's is obviously the oldest so far, I'd be interested to see if there's an older one out there.

The oldest existing UK car that I know of was built in April '75. It was a special order RHD ordered in Germany and subsequently imported into the UK wearing an R reg. Build date is more meaningful than registration date to enthusiasts.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

All the VW launch press pics and first road tests I have show N reg cars so maybe none at all.

Interesting thing, has anyone else noticed with the origenal showroom brochures that the cars in them are actually left hand drive that have been mirror imaged, then had the obvious bits like the dials etc. badly cut in. I've got a 1982 showroom brochure and it is definitely the case with this, not sure about other years. It's obvious bits like the fan switch being at the wrong end of the controls, and the switchs being the wrong way round for off that give it away, as well as some very bad cut and pasting particulalry with the golf badges on the back.

Completely off topic I know, but just an interesting point.

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
yep most of the brochures I have from mk1 GTI (76) to mk2 gti (86) are all mirror images swopped about, I even think some of the later mk2 ones I have are the same but I'm not sure, some of the mk3 brochures use LHD models with a declaration to different spec under the pictures

Also on the later GTI mK1 brochure it uses the early model car (metal bumper) with a cut and paste big plastic bumper stuck on, once spotted it draws my eye every time to my annoyance :posh:

Back to the top
June 1992 for my Sportline, 103k and still looks like new :D

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

dubboy said

Build date is more meaningful than registration date to enthusiasts.

How do you work out the build date? Can you do it from the VIN number?

From what you posted above it looks like my car might have narrowly missed out on being an N-reg rather than a P-reg as it is.

Anyone got an older one than mine?  :)

'75 Mk1 Golf LS 1.5 Auto

'91 Mk2 Golf GTI 2.0 16v

'00 Lupo Sport 1.4 16v

Back to the top

paul_c said

It would be weird seeing Walt's cabby alongside Stu's swallowtail. Interesting, but weird!

It would be odd - nearly 20 years between them!

My car is safely tucked up in the garage out of the snow, but someone with decent photoshop skills could probably make it look like the two cars were alongside each other from pics we have already? :D

'75 Mk1 Golf LS 1.5 Auto

'91 Mk2 Golf GTI 2.0 16v

'00 Lupo Sport 1.4 16v

Back to the top

StuB said

dubboy said

From what you posted above it looks like my car might have narrowly missed out on being an N-reg rather than a P-reg as it is.

Hi Stu

Build date is from production plate not VIN. See here for a "how to":
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19487&highlight=production+plate

I am pretty sure the car I mentioned earlier (R reg but built in April 1975) is older than yours as I knew your car from the previous owner. IIRC yours was built in July 1975.

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks Dubboy - I will pop out to the garage when the snow clears and make a note of the numbers on the plates and report back  :D

'75 Mk1 Golf LS 1.5 Auto

'91 Mk2 Golf GTI 2.0 16v

'00 Lupo Sport 1.4 16v

Back to the top
Well I'm certainly not going to win any awards, but

Date of Manufacture (DoM, haha) - 23 May 1983.

Date of Registration - 1 August 1983.

Long time sitting around, eh?  I guess the GXs weren't in huge demand, especially when the Mk2 was about to be released!

Dom

Back to the top
Just saw this old thread

Does this mean I'm the oldest … or should I say was!

Back to the top
Well, my Cabby isnt the oldest by a long way, but the registration date strikes me as unusual - 1st January 1984 (or is it fairly common to register on the 1st day of the year?  :dontknow: ).

Back to the top

dubboy said

StuB said

dubboy said

Hi Stu

Build date is from production plate not VIN. See here for a "how to":
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19487&highlight=production+plate

I am pretty sure the car I mentioned earlier (R reg but built in April 1975) is older than yours as I knew your car from the previous owner. IIRC yours was built in July 1975.

mods has this link changed? Or is there a way i can view it?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
My old '74

P1010210.jpg

Banner

Back to the top
I've got an October 74. 

That one up there wins tho. :lol:

Back to the top

dubboy you posted a link about the production plate, but when i click it it just goes to the home page, do you still have that info?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Because I saw the post from @Raul it reminded me of the good old days of GAP.

Maybe a few of you remember this car I used in the competition I think from 2014 but this I found in a different post but you get the idea.

IMG_0229.PNG

I should clarify that the 35k was in fact Kilometers.

What a car that is and I could/should have owned it, but divorces are very messy at best!  :o  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

volkswarren said

dubboy you posted a link about the production plate, but when i click it it just goes to the home page, do you still have that info

This maybe useful
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.passiongolfgti.com/article.php%3Fid_article%3D96
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.