Skip navigation

What performance mods are out there for my 1.1?

Back to the top

What performance mods are out there for my 1.1?

Hi,

I'm thinking of keeping my 1100cc under the bonnet and just uprating the components on it. Does anyone know what things i can get for it and where can i get them from?

I'm thinking along the lines of cams, manifolds, etc and then the obviouse one, a carb or throttle boddies if i can get any that will fit.

If anyone has tried doing something like this with their 1100cc and ended up finding out it's not a good idea cos the engine can't take much more than it's standard about 50 horses then let me know please.

Thanks

Karl

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
the cost to mod the engine will not be worth it for very little power gain.
y not fit a gigger used engine a 1.4 from a 94> polo will fit, but will need the loom addapted or get hold of a 1.3 carb and get it re jetted for a 1.4.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Well my dads a mechanic and has also done his welding and his auto electricians courses etc when he was younger but i used to always think of doing engine conversions but even now i can do pretty much all of the conversion myself but i don't think it's worth it because most insurance companies turn round and say they need an engineers report which has been all around ?250 and only through their people so i decided there was no point. I know i wouldn't get much power from it but it's just i wanna keep the main bits of it standard, so i want the engine to look standard at first glance etc

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
There is very little scope to modify the 1.1 or 1.3 engine. All the tuning houses, aftermarket parts suppliers, etc have concentrated on the GTI, for obvious reasons. Best to trade in and find a good GTI while you can.....

Back to the top
ok then, well i think i'll stick with my standard 1.1 for now then and maybe just get a new GT as my daily car which'll keep me happy with speed :D

Thanks anyway though  :y:

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top

KayBee said

ok then, well i think i'll stick with my standard 1.1 for now then and maybe just get a new GT as my daily car which'll keep me happy with speed :D

Thanks anyway though  :y:

You might want to read the review of the Golf GT in the Sunday Times recently…..it came in for a bit of a hammering…..

Back to the top
Oh right, well i found it ok, but yeah i best read up just incase theres something i not heard yet lol

Thanks

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
if u want to keep it standard to look at you could always get a early 1.3, they look the same and it will give you a little bit more bhp and u might be able fo get away with out tellin the insurance company.  when i crashed mine they did not even look at anythin like that.  but if they see somthin obvious they will.

Phil

Golf c mk1 1100, Needs more power

Back to the top
I'd never recommend changing an engine and not telling the insurance. If they're a half decent insurer anyway, they'd simply increase your insurance to the equivalent of the car the engine came out of.

But there's no point removing a fully-working 1.1 just for the sake of 200cc, may as well seek a 1.3 or bigger engined car.

Back to the top
I think i'll stick to the 1.1 instead, i just wanted it to be able to stand out abit from any other mk1 1.1 when it came to performance etc, my plans are to improve the performance all round with poly bushes, upper and lower strut braces and i'm looking into checking if the braking system will be ok with silicone break fluid and i might uprate breaks if i decide i wanna go that far whilst i wont be doing engine mods now.

Thanks guys,

Karl

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
Hello KayBee,

I too have a 1.1C - it's a great little run-around - and if I were you I'd leave it alone and spend your money on other things.

What I would do is to make sure it is well serviced (by your dad ! LOL) and that the ignition timing is spot-on. The only change I would recommend to the engine is to get a Weber 34 ICH carburettor and again tune it spot-on (they're very simple). After this I would overhaul the standard brakes - Pads/Shoes/Cylinders/Seals/Fluid - then that should be fine for the standard car. Make sure it has decent modern tyres not old hard rubber. After this I would just drive it and drive it and drive it - they are such great fun.  :P

For me a tidy standard car is almost always much more attractive than a modded one - if I opened the bonnet of a standard 1.1 and saw a strut brace I would just think  :dontknow: .

Anyway at the end of the day it's up to you !

Andy

Back to the top
Cheers Andy,

I think i'm gonna go with what you said and then i might just go for a GTi in a few years because the actual reason why i bought this car wasn't for a cheap run around it was for a project and to help me gain some extra knowledge about the car i've been wanting for nearly 11 years now lol and i'm only 19. I used always buy the little models of mk1 Golfs as a kid lol. So i'll just restore it to her original condition and then maybe turn the GTi into a track car whenever i decide to get one and i can use that as my fun and to stand out. I'll have to save up for the Weber once i get the Golf on the road. How much will i be looking at? I seen a few on eBay over the last couple of years but they go for quite abit, if i was spending over ?100 i may aswell go buy a brand new one if they still being made, i got told Weber are still up and running but don't bother with UK much anymore thats all…. Is that true by the way?

Cheers

Karl

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
get a webber carb and cam, also 4 branch manifold,
but i would put a 1300 out of a mk2 in hk engine code, and do webber carb cam and exhaust manifold to this,

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
KayBee,

My apologies - I assumed you wanted a cheap car to run around in, didn't realise your project ambitions  :oops:

As far as modifications go on a 1.1, Simon_Parker has plenty of experience (and Polo friends) so knows a thing or two.  8)

Have Fun

Andy

Back to the top
Ok cheers sim0n_parker.

I got my spray job on it's way which is costing me ?600 for full inside and out so might have to start looking for the 1.3 in a couple of months. Should be on better money soon too cos am off in the Army shortly so that should help with the project as money is usually the only problem with them lol

It's ok MKone, my fault, i didn't really make myself clear at first thats all. Cheers anyway though :)

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
You could always put in the Supercharged small block lump in it - from the Polo…

Andy

Back to the top
Do u mean the G40? I'd love to have that engine in my Golf lol but how much work do u think it'd take to do the swap? If I change the engine though i'll do it soon, may aswell seen as the engine will already be out of the car for the spray job.

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
KayBee,

Yes I think it's the G40, but engine swops are not really my thing.

There are some threads on here about it under Modifications :-

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ms&file=viewtopic&t=18074

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ums&file=viewtopic&t=9859

Have Fun
 8)  8)  8)

Andy

Back to the top
Thanks Andy.

Don't know exactly what i should do now so might just leave it and have a think, maybe have it as a summer project on the Golf.

Thanks for your help and advice though.

Bye

'82 Golf C 1.1

Back to the top
Theres no reason at all why the 1100 won't respond well to the usual improvements that work on pretty much every other internal combustion engine.

Inlet manifold matched to the block, same with exhaust, valve job, bigger jet in the carb etc..

if you do five little things and each released 1/2 bhp then you might get another 8-10bhp, and you'll really notice it.

So go ahead and get stuck in, and don't listen to anyone that tells you it " isn't worth it " :)

Real golfers don't play with clubs
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.