Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Orange mk1, update 5/4 quarry pics

projectgolf said

essex car? do u mean they styling or the numberplate means its from essex?

OO on the plate means it was first registered at one of the Essex dvla offices.  With the old style no. plates the last two letters refers to the area it was first registered in.  Used to have a list, but only really remember the local ones now.

Banner

Back to the top
ah thankyou very much mate, nice info to know!

Back to the top

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
You have done well with the rebuild, your peach mobile looks great!

I love the colour, very brave choice and you have been rewarded with a great looking car.

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top
thanks very much, alot of people think it looks rank, but it puts a smile on my face every time, knowing i wudnt change it, that makes me happy,

as you say it was a brave choice but then to the people that DO enjoy it, its all the more special.

Ill update soon, going to finally get round to putting anti roll bars on, and get the camber adjusted, may be lowering it a tad more too if it wont settle down,

what mm drop on those wheels would be optimum for handling, i assume the lower the better isnt true, due to awkward angles etc, plus i dont think id go lower than 60mm anyway due to where i live.

Ta
Josh

Back to the top
hi! nice work and i love the colour!

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
Hi,

Nice looking MK1. Like someone said before, since the Awsome peach MK1 back in the day, I've loved the colour. This isn't quite peach but I think it is brave and looks good. I have a feeling the photos aren't doing it justice though…

Hope to see it in the flesh one day.

Current MK1 rebuild elapsed time - 15 years and counting…
Is it normal to clean and paint bits of your car that will never be seen?
Not-so-new addition - 1996 MK1 Citi Golf (off the road for 4 years… and counting)

Back to the top
i know the quality is still rubbish, but it is still my phone, but its nice to see it in all its sunniness.(blatently not even a word)

i know she isnt quite perfect yet, but very close in my eyes, need to line wings up, finish off a few things,
big shout out to timski for all his damn hard work, made this car what it is

Enjoy.

Back to the top
love it mate.  :D

Back to the top
Spot on fella, another Mk1 back on the road!  :y:

Mk1 golf driver, 1.4 polo ABD GT lump 110bhp

Back to the top
Looks excellent fella, nice place you got there as well  :lol:

1981 1.6 GTI - Work in Progress
www.thephirm.co.uk

Back to the top
What a brilliant resto! Well done, I love the colour aswell - almost edible! You could have got away with a nice cow-print with that reg number! Enjoy your masterpiece!  8)

Back to the top
Hiya there guys - just a quick note to say - this motor is AMAZING - as a motor "entheusiast" i can really appreciate what a fantastic job Josh has done and bloody ell does it go aswell! fantastic finish, and obviously a good job done - pictures dont do it justice..

and my favourite bit? - the horn!  :lol:

Back to the top
yep cheers andy, the horn is how you say 'unique' thats my squeaky little single tone horn, still legal though!

im loving summer driving, ive recently done top mounts, gti wishbones and polybushes, new gti steering rack and polybushes,

and then tomorrow is 2 new front tyres tracking and camber! also just had headgasket replaced too, too much thrashing!

after that ive got the front arb and polybushes to go on too, slowly getting there! once arbs are done front and rear i want to keep it like that and just replace/upgrade as things break, i really am still super happy with it so have no need to change much, ill try to remember to get some sunny shots up with a decent camera at some point.
Josh

Back to the top
Crackin job you have done mate pleased to see that there are peps keeping the small engined cars looking good and keeping them on the road. Nice suttle mods aswell. Front and rear anti roll bars well worth doing.                   Cheers Baller :D

Back to the top
What a great choice of colour, it looks a bit like the ford st orange?? Its given me some good ideas about what colour to do mine

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
Very nice! More pics of interior when finished! :P

~Tom Parker

Currently Restoring a Cabrolet GL

5% complete?

Back to the top
looking good!
how much did the bumpers set you back?

Back to the top
interior is finished, im doing a small few touches like the badges, grill trim etc again, then gna polish it up, dont wna take photos till i can drive it sumwhere nice and sunny by some grass, take som proper decent photos to do it some justice

as for the bumpers, i bought them over german ebay, took about 3 months to come, had to asseble bits n bobs seperately, ended up costing me a fortune, like 550 or sumthing ridiculous but i knew the car would not be the same without them.

I did put on plastic bumpers but they looked rubbish on that colour, made it look like a bumblebee all that orange and black, so chrome ones were to be! My best advice is buy a full set, its so much cheaper and easier, whether it be volkswarenhaus, or the ppl on english ebay, ull save so much money, or get them specially from shows i.e. worthersee etc.

hth
pics soon(as always promised)
Josh

Back to the top
Driving the mk1 home last night, pootling along when the engine caught on fire, melted everything in the engine bay, blistered up most of the front end, fire brigade smashed in both window, dents to the bodywork, whole inside of car got sprayed with hose, basically it is dead.

I delcared every last modification and pay an extorsionate rate of fully comprehensive insurance at 18, without even looking at it because my car is over 10 years old and has been in a fire accident it is automatically a write-off.

my excess is 400 quid, the book value is 200 quid. i am so utterly gutted, not even angry, just very very upset, hardest decision ive ever made, walking away from a burning car, i wanted to try and put it out but by the time i got out of the car, flames were coming out under the doors and was far too violent. then standing back and watching my car windows and grill getting smashed up

In retrospect it could have exploded as it had half a tank of fuel and there were flames licking the fuel lines, ive spent well over 4thousand on this car, and is worth nothing now…

here are some pics of the damage….

I cant afford to do anything much to it tbh anyway, hopefully i can strip it out, keep it somewhere till ive finished uni, and then put a big engine in it…..who knows, i need to recoup some money somwhere…so probably getting rid of expensive trim and bumpers, sell the numberplate cos it has value of over 500 quid, and someone can turn it into a racer, maybe me, i simply dont know right now.

please dont badger me for parts right now, im sure ill advertise something soon, but at the moment i am simply gutted and dont really want to be thinking about ripping apart my absolute pride and joy.

this is the end of my build diary, hope you enjoyed it, hope it inspired somebody, and i hope most of all, you all carry fire extuinguishers in your cars, could have saved my bodywork/not written off the car.

lastly, thanks to everyone that helped this, especially timski, a real legend of a bloke, sorted this car right out for, shame to see his hard work go up in flames, and thank you all for all the comments along the way.
Forever mk1,
Josh
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.