Skip navigation

MK1 Golf 16v ABF NOW RUNNING!

Back to the top

MK1 Golf 16v ABF NOW RUNNING!

Hi , I now have an unimmobilized ECU.. I'm now just on the hunt for a complete ABF loom… The orginal plan was to spline theABF ECU etc into the mk1 loom… but it looks alot easier to use the mk3 loom and fusebox to work the whole lot… so if anyone knows of an ABF loom going i'll have it!

Back to the top
Hi guys

I am thinking of doing this conversion, will i be better off buying a full donar car and taking what i need.
Also how would you use the chipped key in a mk1 golf steering coloumn.

Thanks

Back to the top

ABF LOOM

You have pm.

Back to the top
back on the scene now , Its been a long time and I'm off work so I can put 100% effort into getting it sorted

After hunting around on the internet is seems not many people like to share information about the ABF into mk1 conversion.

Anyway..this evening Ive been battling away with a complete ABF loom. removing any shite I dont need…. I managed to loose a least half of it and keep all of the  wires needed to operate the engine.

I'm hoping to get it wired into the car tommorow and maybe fire it up so fingers crossed!!  wish me luck!

Back to the top
good luck with it mate.  know what you mean, I found bugger all ABF information when i had a look to add it to teh faq.

Think I do have some wiring details somewhere though…i'll have a look.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
its a shame they are not very popular. its so easy to extract decent power from an ABF engine with minimal effort

Back to the top
Right , got up bright and early to try and tackle the ABF loom  and ECU.

Made some last adjustment to the loom , tied it up and arranged it so it was easy to offer into thr car. I havnt wrapped it completly as of yet.

It seemed to fit in all ok , I've used every all of the engine sensors no thing had been deleted. Luckiy when I got the engine the guy I bought it from chucked in  a load of parts that i needed. Probing around with my multimeter i found which wires i could use for the loom.

Switched on the ignition , fuel pump primed , and could hear a load of relays click into action… I then  attempted  turing it over. by the key..

It was turning over but very very slowly…. I thought it maybe the battery , so I got a heavy duty bus battery  and connected it all up… still no joy. I then processed to use my wife' mk4 tdi  +jump leads) to try and get get the thing to turn over faster.. still no joy!!

Only thing I could put it down to is a fault starter.. The car hadnt been  used for about 5 years and I'm sure ti was a little dodgy before hand.
So off to ther breakers I went and found and very old left hand drive small lighted diesel mk1 in bright yellow! So i stole the starter off that.. In comparason the diesel starter vs gti huge!

GTI Top / Diesel Bottom

Fitted this to car as soon as I got back and turned they key on.  The lamba sensor heated up nicely, relays kicked in , fuel primed… air temp sensor connected… Cranked her over…  popped and banged a few times then to my surprise started up!!

It has no exhaust manifold connected so you can imagine I couldnt leave it on idle too long.. but long enough to know its working fine. with No immobilser.
Gave it a couple of blips of the throttle and seems to rev out ok….. sounds litle a tractor but sweet as a nut!

I'm just more happy that ive worked it out myself!!!

Just need to fit the manifold  weld up the the exhaust system and tidy all the wires up

Very Happy Chappie!!

Back to the top
Today I managed to sort the exhaust out.. yesterday it had no exhaust from the head .

Being on a tight buget I needed to somehow connect the supersprint manifold to my existing exhaust ..

So a trip to powerflow and they knocked me up a nice adapter to suit with clips and also a lamda boss for ?25

I arrived back home and welded in the lamda probe

2 hours later i fitted the whole system from exhaust manifold back… on idle it sounds just how is should.. idle is spot on too.. fan kicks in as it should etc.

Just a quick tally of how much its cost me so far ..

Car = Free (donated by dad)
Sold old 2.0 engine from car +?200

ABF engine complete with ecu  and loom =-?100

Supersprint manifold -? 120
Supersprint link pipe- ?50
Oil - ?12
Cambelt-?16
Exhaust manifold gaskits - ? ?6
Exhaust rubbers -?2.50
Powerflow exhaust adjustment ?25

?'spent                   ?331.50
Sale of old engine  - ?200

Total Money spent ?131.50

So , ?131.50 to a fully running ABF mk1  not bad!

No much left to do now.. just need to tidy the wiring up , and   the gauges working in the dashboard.

:D

Back to the top
Nice little feature.  Thank you.  I'm in the process of fitting an ABF into my mk1.  I agree, there doesn't seem to be much advice around.

I have a couple of questions, What colour are the wires to the lambda? and what does the plug look like (loom end)

did you create space for the alternator bracket with a hammer?

Did you change any of the engine mounts to firmer ones?

Thats for any help, i'll post some pictures as i go.

Back to the top
hi guys i am also doing this to my caddy.
just a couple of questions for now, firstly what rads have you used?
secondly what have you done for wiring as i was just wanting to fit the loom with the mk1 connectors and plug into mk1 dash.
finally are you all running the lamda sensors as i am lacking one, due to not owning the cat.
cheers joe

Back to the top
lovin this thread matey, keep up the good work :clap:

Chris :)

Need your console repaired or mods done? drop me a pm:)

Back to the top

smokeybradshaw said

Nice little feature.  Thank you.  I'm in the process of fitting an ABF into my mk1.  I agree, there doesn't seem to be much advice around.

I have a couple of questions, What colour are the wires to the lambda? and what does the plug look like (loom end)

did you create space for the alternator bracket with a hammer?

Did you change any of the engine mounts to firmer ones?

Thats for any help, i'll post some pictures as i go.

Hi Smokey , The engine mounts on the MK1 have adjustable nuts on the chassis, I just untighted the gearbox mount and engine side mount and jacked it up slightly and pushed the engine towards the passenger side… it left about 7mm clearance  between the chassis leg. So thats all sorted now.

The engine mounts I've used are the orginal GTI ones

The plug for the lamda is like long semi circle shape.. Imagine a stretched semicircle about 1.5 inches long.

As for the colours I'll check in the morning

Back to the top

joe_bo said

hi guys i am also doing this to my caddy.
just a couple of questions for now, firstly what rads have you used?
secondly what have you done for wiring as i was just wanting to fit the loom with the mk1 connectors and plug into mk1 dash.
finally are you all running the lamda sensors as i am lacking one, due to not owning the cat.
cheers joe

Hi Jo , I'm using the standard GTI Rad with works perfectly , and cools the car down sufficiently.

I would advise to use the lamba sensor,.. I tested my car without the sensor in the exhaust and chuffed out black smoke… as soon as I attached it to the exhaust the car ran like a dream.

If you want , you can send me you loom , I can strip it down  and mark up what you need to connect to your car to get it running straight away for a small fee?

Back to the top

wiring loom

hi ive done the kr conversion but used a stand alone ignition system as i was running weber carbs, but currently helping a friend to fit an abf engine on twin 40 webers but wants to use the ecu for the ignition timing how easy would you say it is to convert the 8v gti loom to the abf loom and have u got a ecu wiring loom diagram that could help us please,

Back to the top
is the supersprint exhaust manifold you used  the 1.8 version?  They dont seem to list a 2.0 litre version.

Back to the top
Yep the 1.8 conversion manifold will also fit the 2.0

I picked myself up a 2.0 16v 9a engine, box, ecu, loom, driveshafts done 109k with logbook and history etc etc for ?350 notes yesterday :D I will be using the full Supersprint system (manifold, connector, middle, backbox)

Will let you know how it goes, I don't think I'll have time to do a write up but I will take pics as I go and write down the important stuff.

Back to the top
lucky git adrian :lol:

where did you source that from matey??

Chris :)

Need your console repaired or mods done? drop me a pm:)

Back to the top

AdrianT said

Yep the 1.8 conversion manifold will also fit the 2.0

I picked myself up a 2.0 16v 9a engine, box, ecu, loom, driveshafts done 109k with logbook and history etc etc for ?350 notes yesterday :D I will be using the full Supersprint system (manifold, connector, middle, backbox)

Will let you know how it goes, I don't think I'll have time to do a write up but I will take pics as I go and write down the important stuff.

just thought i'd add here that the supersprint will fit all the 1.8 and 2.0 valver engines, but not all conversion manifolds do.  The Ashley one is designed for the KR/9A, but isn't height adjustable, so tends to need playing with to fit the ABF.

Is all that from the 9A car?  going for Cable Change box and KE-Jet mate?

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
All came from the 9a. H reg Passat GT.

My brother is in charge of the wiring so what ignition / fuel system I use will be up to him lol as I have no idea when it comes to wires.

Going to be using my GTi gearbox with uprated clutch and the 2.0 stronger pressure plate.. The engine wont rev quite as hard so will loose a little top end but bottom up should be quicker and I'll get better mpg on longer runs… That's if my maths work out on the gear ratios

Back to the top
Fair play 8)

If you're using the mk1 GTI box none of the Passats Flywheel, pressure plate or friction plate will fit mate, they're larger diameter and different design of clutch assembly (Uses a lever to actuate clutch rather than Central Push Rod)

You'll be wanting a mk2 16V Pressure Plate, with the mk1s Flywheel and Mk1 Friction plate.

which happens to be exactly same set up as i'm running  :wink:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.