Skip navigation

1.1 Electronic ignition

Back to the top

1.1 Electronic ignition

:?  = Your two quotes contradict each other. The first saying nothing wrong with using second hand info, the second asking why cedar had done exactly this.

Please feel free to explain!

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

:?  = Your two quotes contradict each other. The first saying nothing wrong with using second hand info, the second asking why cedar had done exactly this.

Please feel free to explain!
No.  I've already apparently received a warning from the Moderation team of this site for being right but blunt.  I'm not going into it.  I am at a disadvantage as you appear to have Moderator status also and I feel personally threatened that you are trying to bully me into saying something that will give your Mod team the excuse they need to effect the temporary ban they have already threatened me with.

If you could GUARANTEE that nothing will come of it I'd tell you but as you can't, I won't.

Now - what is the problem with the ignition system this 1100 Mk1 Golf?  Lets see if we can do something constructive to sort it once and for all eh?

Back to the top
I don't see why you feel you can't discuss something without being "blunt".

If you adhere to the warning that you have been given then of course you are free to post an explanation, I can guarantee that.

Banner

Back to the top
If someone is about to so something which will waste alot of their time and energy (or even potentially harm them) your best way to get through is to be blunt!

Look - it's as simple as this, I was teaching 16-19 year old kids how to fix cars.  I had a workshop full of tools and equipment.  They do something wrong - people get injured.  That's where I've come from - that's why I am like I am.  It's a freedom of expression and a personaility thing - NOT a personally offensive remarks issue.

Second hand advice has it's merits if you have the experiance and knowledge to apply it - such as "Oh, I've read something about that - here is the link."  However to use it properly, you have to have enough of an idea to know what is likely to be correct and relevent to the initial query.

What it doesn't do is make up for personal experience.

So basically you are saying that you (collectively as Mods) don't like me because I am blunt?

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

If someone is about to so something which will waste alot of their time and energy (or even potentially harm them) your best way to get through is to be blunt!

But on this occasion you are not wasting my time or energy and certainly I will come to no harm by you merely giving an explanation. Indeed you have wasted more time arguing than actually answering my question.

Unfortunately your methodolgy has the side effect of alienating people and lowering their confidence whereas taking some time to explain and help somebody can often work better in the long run.

Steve_Matthews said

Second hand advice has it's merits if you have the experiance and knowledge to apply it - such as "Oh, I've read something about that - here is the link."  However to use it properly, you have to have enough of an idea to know what is likely to be correct and relevent to the initial query.

What it doesn't do is make up for personal experience.

So if there is a point in posting second hand info, why ask in your original post? If you read cedar's post, there is actually nothing wrong with it bearing in mind the context is swapping a complete engine not soley fitting e-ignition. I do appreciate that this is not actually what the originator asked, but merely a comment that cedar thought might help.

Steve_Matthews said

So basically you are saying that you (collectively as Mods) don't like me because I am blunt?
I cannot speak for anyone else's likes and dislikes and we don't moderate on personalities, but on actual posts as that is all we see.

Banner

Back to the top
Let's draw a line under this please folks.

Topic under discussion only from now on. (Where's the stern teacher with wagging finger smiley when you want it?)

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
My post was a quote taken from an American site that I saved a couple of years ago. It went on ' If you are retrofitting a breakerless distributor into a points car the 049 905 205Q distributor is the distributor you  should try to find. I remembered all this as I intended to mod' my Mk1 Polo but if the distributor will not fit then I have to agree that is a problem.
 All the best. Cedar.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.