Skip navigation

1.1 Electronic ignition

Back to the top

1.1 Electronic ignition

does anyone know the cheapest way of getting a 1.1 onto electronic igition? are there any later models where it was present that it might be possible to swap parts over from? or should you just as well get a lumenition kit?

Back to the top
I have lumenition..

There's another cheaper kit available.

Or you could try a Dizzy and module from a later engine ( with hydraulic folowers ) which may fit and has electronic ignition.

TT

Back to the top
i know the late later 1.3 had hall sendor ignition, not sure if they did a 1.1 or if it would fit onto the older 1.1 engine.
     if you can follow a wiring diagram and solder you could hava go at the DIY 'mega jolt' kit that uses for EDIS 4 ignition.iv heard you can build it all for about 150quid.

Back to the top
If you are swapping an engine into a pre 1981 car then it is a good idea to install the newer breakerless or hall sender style of ignition. This is a solid state ignition that doesn't need periodic points adjusting and you car will run better with a few extra hp gain. All that is necessary is to take the little black box in the rain tray and the wiring harness between this black box and the distributor.

This is copied from some info that I saved some time ago.

Back to the top
Yeah - all very well and good - except - THE DIZZY WILL NOT FIT!!!

The hall sender dizzy can not be bolted straight onto the points dizzy mount on the head.

What's the point in posting second hand advice?

Matt knows what he's talking about and was right to say that there wasn't a solid state dizzy that fits the 1100 head.

Lumenation style kits are one way to go.  Megaspark style kits are the other.

Can I just ask a sensible question at this juncture…

WHY?!? - Why do you want to convert of breakerless ignition?

Back to the top
Ok folks lets remember that the forums are a place to exchange and offer suggestions and advice / ideas (right or wrong).

Nobody is 100% correct all of the time, and if people only posted when they were 100% sure of their suggestions / advice then the forums would be a pretty quiet and lonely place :wink: which is the last thing we want…..

By all means correct people's suggestions or advice when you think they are wrong, but please do it in a constructive manner. The last thing we want is people being reluctant to contribute for fear of being shouted down for the smallest mistakes…

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
By all means correct people's suggestions or advice when you think they are wrong, but please do it in a constructive manner.
Erm, that's what is WAS doing!

Every time I post on this forum people jump down my neck/have a go at me simply because I've done all kinds to the small block VW engine.

It was me that gave Matt all the advice he needed to sort his 1.3 on bike carbs.  It was me that personally sorted out his huge air leak proplem on said carbs.  It was me that pioneered the 3F twin DCOE carb conversion in the UK back in '98-'99.

I've got mates running 107bhp from a 1.3 on a Pierburg and 142bhp from a 1.3 on twin carbs.

How many times do I have to defend myself to the "They might have been wrong but at least they tried to contribute" mentality of this website?!?

Look - it's as simple as this.  If someone gives out wrong/bad advice and someone else acts on it - it's the CLUBS problem!!  Bearing in mind this is an organised and recognised club, the club has a duty of care to it's members to ensure that advice given out won't cost them time, money or even cause personal injury.

If you don't know something - say you don't know!  Don't just guess because you might suggest something that writes off someones Mk1.

Look at the other post that I made the same day as this one - look at the praise and applause it attracted from other users - even though it flew in the face of all the previous advice given - this is because it was CORRECT.

I've had Mk1 Golfs for the last 10 years, my dad has had them since they were released, so had my gran and my uncle.  Between me and my girlfriend, we've owned nine of the things, plus a Mk1 Polo, 4 Mk2 Golfs and a Mk3.  In my immidiate family not including mine, there are a further seven Mk1 Golfs.  Then there are countless numbers of my mates that run them.  At the local OCV meet last month, which I organised and ran, over half of all the VW's that turned up were Mk1 Golfs.

I drive a Mk1 Golf EVERY DAY!

I am completely imersed in them and know the small block engine like the back of my hand.  Indeed I have one in pieces on my kitchen table as we speak.

I've previously worked teaching 16-19 year old HOW TO BE MECHANICS.

Last Sunday I fitted a 2.9 Corrado VR6 engine in a Mk2 Golf GTI.  Last night I was outside repairing the wiring loom on my mates Mk3 Polo Genesis.

Look - it's as simple as this, you muck about with your ignition without knowing what you are doing or why you are doing it, if you are lucky you get away with it and the car works, if you muck it up at best you'll get a mis-fire and spend ??'s at the garage getting it all put right, at worst you'll get an electric shock/sparks in your engine bay (where there are fuel lines lets remember) or burn out your wiring loom which could end up in a burned out Mk1 Golf at the side of the road.

If you don't like my "Do it properly, do it right, do it once, forget about it" attitude then I suggest you talk to whoever it is that does your club liability insurance and just check that it'll still cover you when your mentality seems to be encourage advice, no matter how bad it is, and shout down the people who acutally know what they are talking about because they are direct and sharp.

I still would like an answer to my question, WHY DO YOU WANT BREAKERLESS IGNITION?

What is the car doing/not doing at the moment?

What are the symptoms of the problem?

Is it affected by weather conditions?

There is a chance that there is a simple fix to the standard ignition that will mean there is no need to convert to breakless ignition at all.

PS.  Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go - seriously, I am not.  I am simply stating why I am so passionate that good advice is given and followed and that as many Mk1 Golfs as possible are kept in tip top running order.

Back to the top
Steve

I can't see who on this thread you are having a go at in your expression "What's the point in posting second hand advice?". If it was TT he was only saying a certain dizzy MAY fit that would do the job and help fix the guys problem. Obviously it is up to the guy whether he follows this up or not or seek further help. If it was cedar then he was saying if the engine was to be changed the guy should consider a mk2 with electronic ignition. Nothing wrong with that.

So my point is you are being overly aggressive unnecessarily. Clearly you have a good knowledge of certain aspects of the Mk1 and the club is better for it. But what is doesn't need is stopping people posting with suggestions to solve a problem that may turn out to be wrong. Only time and experience will tell that and the forum will build up a proven technical area of help and info. So please stop asking people to stop posting with their help in case it may be wrong. There may be a time in the future you need it. No one, including you as I have seen, is right 100% of the time.

Banner

Back to the top
If it was cedar then he was saying if the engine was to be changed the guy should consider a mk2 with electronic ignition. Nothing wrong with that.
This was exactly the bad piece of advice I was talking about as the Mk2 Hall Sender dizzy is physically too big to fit the Mk1 head and therefore will not work.

I still want to know what the actual problem with the car is because converting to breakless ignition is a lot of hassle and expense that may not be needed.

So my point is you are being overly aggressive
WHERE?!? - Where am I being "overly agressive"?!? - I think you are just reading accent and emotion into my post which ISN'T THERE!!

Do I not speak English or something?  Every time I post everyone thinks I'm picking on them!! - I'm a member of loads of other sites and no one on any of them thinks I'm having ago on there so what is different here?  I don't understand.

Back to the top
If you read up, cedar mentions if one was swapping the ENGINE it would be a good idea to use one from a Mk2 with e-ignition, that's all.

You come over as being aggressive in your wording that you think (incorrectly) you are always right and by calling a post "second hand". I am sure everyone is doing their best to help out here and putting them down does not help.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

If you read up, cedar mentions if one was swapping the ENGINE it would be a good idea to use one from a Mk2 with e-ignition, that's all.

You come over as being aggressive in your wording that you think (incorrectly) you are always right and by calling a post "second hand". I am sure everyone is doing their best to help out here and putting them down does not help.
Swapping an engine is a bit severe for an ignition fault isn't it?

Anyway - it says at the bottom of Cedars post that this information was coppied from somewhere else - therefore it's second hand information.

Original quesiton "How do I fit breakerless ignition to a 1.1 engine?"

Cedars answer "Throw the whole engine away and fit one with breakless ignition."

Can you see what I am driving at?  It isn't just me is it?

Back to the top
Sorry to be pedantic, but I think "If you are swapping an engine into a pre 1981 car then it is a good idea to install the newer breakerless or hall sender style of ignition." was a comment/general advice not necessarily an answer for how to just fit e-ignition.

My interpretation of your comment "What's the point in posting second hand advice? " was that you meant second hand = poor.

As you seem to mean second hand = copied, then I am more confused. I can't see anything wrong with passing on information from somewhere else. That is one of the reasons what the forum is for.

Banner

Back to the top
Second had advice is advice that you didn't arive at yourself.

I can tell you all the parts you need to fit the ignition from a Hydraulic engine to get it running with no ECU in a Mk1 shell because I've personally done it myself.  If someone then coppied what I'd said and gave it as the answer to this post, it would be second hand advice, not because it's poor but because it pertains to something that the person posting has never done before.

The biggest problem with second hand advice is that you can't thenn ask the poster for more information about anything and you also hit problems with the relevence of the information to the original question.

Why would I mean "Poor" when I said "Second hand"?

Might I add at this point that I fully appreciate your point but this really does need to be bottomed out as to why people always have a go at me when I correct people who have posted wrong information.

I STILL want to know what the acutal problem with this 1100 Mk1 Golfs ignition system is please - i'm sure junking the whole lot is a little severe!

Back to the top
So going back to your comment "What's the point in posting second hand advice? ", you think people should not be providing information just because they have not done the job themselves?

Does that then mean I cannot provide a third party any info from, for example, a VW workshop manual just because I have not done the job myself and the author is not available is case I have a question?

Sorry but that is complete rubbish.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

So going back to your comment "What's the point in posting second hand advice? ", you think people should not be providing information just because they have not done the job themselves?

Does that then mean I cannot provide a third party any info from, for example, a VW workshop manual just because I have not done the job myself and the author is not available is case I have a question?

Sorry but that is complete rubbish.
Complete rubbish?!?

Hang on - you've completey misunderstood my point havn't you!

Back to the top
:naughty: come on ppl leave it out, by the sounds of it, its all a misunderstanding

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
Surely its better to speak from experience, rather than what someone else has said/something you think you heard.

I for one wouldn't even think about talking with any sort of authority unless i'd actually done a procedure myself, we are talking about other peoples property here !!!  :|

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top

Gold-mk1 said

Surely its better to speak from experience, rather than what someone else has said/something you think you heard.

I for one wouldn't even think about talking with any sort of authority unless i'd actually done a procedure myself, we are talking about other peoples property here !!!  :|
That's sort of what I was trying to say.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with copying information from other sources BUT as stated above, it's best to talk to someone who'se done the job themselves.

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with copying information from other sources BUT as stated above, it's best to talk to someone who'se done the job themselves.

Steve_Matthews said

What's the point in posting second hand advice?

:?

Banner

Back to the top
:?  - EXACTLY!!

Look - I'm saying nothing more about this, I'll make my thoughts known to some of the people on your team directly in person and I'm sure we'll all laugh about it over a pint at the AGM.

BUT…

Can we get to the bottom of what the acutal problem is with this car that this user wants to convert to breakerless ignition please.

Is it mis-firing, hard to start in the cold, missing at the top end, over/under advancing?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.