Skip navigation

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

Back to the top

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

when for every tank of fuel you put in you have to spend the same amount of money on parts/ maintainance to keep it all working right  :cry:
whan you know the genuine part numbers for every service item, brake item and both belts and tentioner for nearly all engine sizes :banghead:  :banghead:
guess it kinda helps working at gsf when people ask for parts for a mk1 i dont even need to open a book :lol:  :wink:

if the sumps not dented its not low enough

standard origonal 82 mk1 jetta c     for sale

Back to the top
you work at gsf...

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

cabriaulait said

you work at gsf…

No, he just lives there…  :lol:

PS: "You know… too long when": - You know both VIN numbers of the two cars you own…

Back to the top
work at gsf i do its very handy :wink:  still have to spend lots of money though even though i get staff discount :cry:  i cant remember paying retail ever :lol:  ive worked for vw as well in the past  
was a mechanic for a couple of years but i was bored of working on cars every day and night and weekend :o so i got back into the sales side of things

if the sumps not dented its not low enough

standard origonal 82 mk1 jetta c     for sale

Back to the top
Jacob (page 1 of this thread!!) - you sure you need all of those Pirelli hubcaps? Wouldn't fancy parting with one of them? Just one??? Go on …go on go on go on!! :P

Back to the top
i can relate to almost every single one of them! thats shocking!!

Please don't call me fella- its deeply insulting to one whom is no such thing! ;)

Back to the top
when you have to tell people dont put anything on the floors there most probably soaking is the norm.
when a mate see`s you flying around a roundabout with your rear wheel of the floor and says your a nutter you almost rolled it, and you can just say what thats normal stance for a GTi
you dont notice the smell of petrol anymore, and just tell your mates to be quiet its all in there heads
when it cuts out whilst driving with lots of loud popping and banging and your words are "not again"
when in the wet on the old 13" wheels you just spin the front end constantly
when you have to shout at people to slam the BLOODY DOOR
when you can get into your car with a tool box key
when your doing 70 in 3rd gear with some chav mobile screaming its nuts off next to you, and you drop into 4th and pull away
when you see people in the corner off your eye going for something and you dont have to look but just say "dont touch that"
when you can overtake cars without breaking a sweat trying to push the car to its limits shouting at it
when you asked who your ringing you can calmly reply "just the AA"

Back to the top
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
:lmao:
Talk about a thread that can run and run…  8)

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
Now a sticky!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
top man
whats this close the door with the window open melarky, i use the inside of the door be hind the panel lol
got another
you know youve been driving a mk1 to long when your trying to throw around a familly sized saloon car shouting at it, wondering wheres the poke from the engine gone, why is it tipping over around roundabouts, and why when i ever i start slowing down like normal do i have to drive to the traffic lights becuaase ive stopped to early

Back to the top
and why when i ever i start slowing down like normal do i have to drive to the traffic lights becuaase ive stopped to early
Or nearly gone through the windscreen!

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
… when all your work shirts are oily because you just nipped into the garage to 'see how she is' when you get back home… :roll:

Back to the top
When you jump into a modern diesel car and wonder why the dash isn't rattling around when you're sitting at lights/junctions…

When you jump into a modern car and think it's boring to drive…

When you jump into a modern family car and can't fit through gaps you could fly through in the mk1…

When you find yourself sweltering in the heat and haven't thought to put the air-con on 'cos you don't normally have the option…

Back to the top
when your mk1s broken down as usual and you end up driving a normal familly car, then you get back into your golf and when you reverse park in nose level with someone you realise your only half in to the space and stuck out loads  :lol:

when you see another mk1 "GTi" and your in a familly car and you go ooh another GTi i wanna play with it. then your sticking right up behind them then your overtaking them in a 1.9 non turbo diesel and going hang on…thats not a mk1 GTi, if that was a mk1 GTi i would be feelling very stupid by now. then you have to shake your fist in anger at a wrongly badged car

Back to the top
i'm just loving this thread :lol:

Back to the top
It's great ain't it….
….when you thouht the gear change was THAT sloppy and normal then your mechanic tells you all the linkage bushes are shot….

<html>

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Fordyx/cf416f53.jpg&lt;/html&gt;

Back to the top
lol  :lol: i love this thread, i can relate to alot of these, good old dubs!! we all love em really!

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
… when you drive past and look at the same sad looking rusty mk1 gti in someones driveway everyday and think it looks desperatly unhappy and in need of rescue to a good home that'll love it dearly…

You then have to tell yourself "Its a car for crist sake! not a three legged elderly cat on animal hospital!"  :lol:

Back to the top
when you see a lush mk1 go past or mk2 scirocco corrado go past and you can see each other taking in every detail of eachothers car with one eye, glancing at driver with other, and nodding to them
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.