Skip navigation

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

Back to the top

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

mcscrew said

When you've owned the car for 9 months and it's never ever started…  :D

:lol: sounds familiar

and you spend a year grinding, welding and spraying a car that you've never driven but liked how it looks

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
(sunroof models!) You always drive your car with a hat on!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Trying to calm your passengers nerves when it take 5 minutes of spining on the starter to get the engine to work when its hot .

Telling them there nothing to panic about when you thump the dashboard to get the oil buzzer to shut up/dash lights to work .

And when you wear the back of your overalls out before the knees .

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
- defensively explaining to your better half for the nth time this month that the thing sitting in the driveway is not:

"an immobile pile of junk"…

its "an appreciating classic" that "just needs a bit of work"…

Lack of central locking seems to get 'em every time though and the force needed to shut the boot with the doors closed always makes people in the car jump ;).

What other car looks as distinctive and is such a hoot to drive for the money though…. not many!

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Lack of central locking seems to get 'em every time though

:lol:

I always say,"Central Locking? Yes, it's got two complete independant sets."

Actually, most people comment on the sliding demister controls in my Mk1.

And have you noticed the amazing amount of stuff you can cram into the glovebox and still get the lid closed? Spooky!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
- How your always thinking or  looking at others even when you already have one ( or more) :P

If Its Loud and Noisy , I'll take its picture

Back to the top
Or how everybody says 'wow, how small is your boot'

but the best one has to be going down the Embankment (Bedford) on a sat night and getting the admiring glances at the car by the Boy Racers! :wink:

Back to the top
What….. I think the boot is massive! Ok compare boot space to a new mini the mk1 kicks ass and the mini is a bigger car. Plus its like a magic hat you won't believe what I've managed to squeeze in.

I always laugh when people try to put their seat belt on…. especially at night it takes them at least 5 mins and I have to put the light back on. :lol:
Or when they try and move the passenger seat forward "where is the adjuster….?" :lol:

Another good one is when you use the rear wiper… people turn round and are like "what the hell is that?!"  :lol:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

kins said

I always laugh when people try to put their seat belt on…. especially at night it takes them at least 5 mins and I have to put the light back on. :lol:
Mines just as bad if not worst as it the old type belt with no clip on it as it loops through the metal bar attached to the seat.
Most people are like…..errrrmmm I think your selt belt is broken??

Back to the top
Oooo another new fact for me. (Geek points awarded)

No seriously I did not know they where different on the series 1's. Got any pics of that crazy method? :dontknow:

Cheers :D

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
I'll try and post a piccy some point over the weekend :D

Back to the top
I had those in my GLS it got everyone I gave up saiong anything, it was too much fun as they pulled all the belt out and said ohh its dropped off…

You know youve been in a Mk1 to long when you need 2 sets of wheels to survive the winter…

'83 Diamond Silver Campaign GTI
'85 UR quattro 20v 5 cylinder
'94 VR6 Corrado 82A149D3-2379-4966-97B1-6874E7574575.jpeg

Back to the top
Thanks mate… I'm just interested thats all.

Appreciated :D

Back to the top

The_Chef said

I had those in my GLS it got everyone I gave up saiong anything, it was too much fun as they pulled all the belt out and said ohh its dropped off…

You know youve been in a Mk1 to long when you need 2 sets of wheels to survive the winter…

Tis true you need winter wellies and summer running boots.  :lol:
I have my standard alloys on P3000s for winter….. and my Turbos with Toyo t1rs for playing out in the summer. :D

Back to the top
you can tell when you spend every day on ebay just looking for mk1 golf bits that you dont need but buy any way just because thay of a mk1 and mite be rare  :dontknow:

JOEL GTI
1979 mk1 c 1.1L 33k sold :(
1983 mk1 GX 1.5L sold
1983 mk1 gti 1.6 cab sold
1984 mk2 polo 1.0 rat sold
1982 mk1 gti 1.8 sold
1984 mk2 GTI 16V vw motorsport project 16V very rare striped dead!
1985 mk2 GTI 8V runing 140BHP (track car) striping! Dead
1986 mk2 GL 1.8Ldead
1987 mk2 GTI 16V SOLD
Lots of mk3 gti's vr6's and a tdi all sold
1992 mk2 GTI 8V  runout edition sold then bought then sold the bought back and striped!
1990 mk2 GTI 8V in tornado red new car :)

Back to the top

Ebay bits

Very very true Joelgti!  8O

Back to the top
You know you've been driving a MK1 too long when…

• All the christmas presents you give to friends and family are packaged in surplus GSF Carparts boxes.

• You're convinced that every other car you drive has worn wheel bearings/misaligned camber/shot steering/knackered balljoints/flat tyres….because the power steering has removed all sensation and feel…

• being cut up, tailgated or hooted by a MK1 when you're driving another car puts a smile on your face

• You can't remember the last time your fingernails weren't black

Mars Red 1.8 GTi Cabrio 1985
Seat Covers
Scratches
Leaky roof
1 million smiles per hour

Back to the top
You know you've been driving a MK1 too long when…
You go on ebay to buy a car cover because you know it's going to rain the next day (for cabrio's, but probably goes for sunroof tintops as well)
You don't seem to mind the fact that it's about 0 degrees outside, it's wet and you are covered in random oily bits of transmission/fuel system/brake discs/add as appropriate
The missus is convinced that you just throw money out the front door every week or so in the general direction of your 'useless old car'
Even when your pride and joy is incapable of forward (or indeed reverse motion, ask anyone at SWM7  :oops: ) you still just like the look at it
So many more, so little time!  :mrgreen:

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
When half your passengers get out the car and have to shut the door twice.

When you park over a petrol stain at the station and you put your hand round your filler neck.

When you treat your car to gifts more than your wife!

Jjl.

1982 Non Sunroof Black 1600 GTI

2003 MKIV Golf PD150 GT TDI

Back to the top

lakesk8 said

When you treat your car to gifts more than your wife!

Jjl.

I have to agree there!!! But I'd never admit that to the missus :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.