Skip navigation

Anyone seriously tried "Bangernomics" as transport

Back to the top

Anyone seriously tried "Bangernomics" as transport

I'm currenty running mk2 golf GL that cost ?300 and about ?35 on serviceing it and I've not spent a penny on it since. It's never let me down, always started even on the coldest mornings! MOTs due in 3 weeks time, if it passes not needing much work then great, if it fails then onto the scrapyard, and I'll look for another one!  

I've always brought cheap old cars, mainly because I can't afford anything better!! Most I payed was ?2000 for my cavalier about 4 years ago, and that's still going strong as well!  I love the fun of trying to find a decent car for say under ?500 and always being constantly surprised by what I find.

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Ahhhh Bangernomics  :P

Yes got the MK 1 for ?800 (with full MOT)18 months ago spent about ?600 on repairs/TAX in that time  :?  not bad but could be better

Then a MK2 scirocco cl for ?100  ?40 MOT ?170 tax ?4 new petrol cap and thats it in a year

Then there's the 240 estate ?150 ( with 6 months tax & full mot) ?170 ON TAX AND THATS IT :lol:

And finally 1991 J Ryder ?90 with 3 month tax/MOT

Scirocco's are probably one of the best bargains at the mo' a pristeen 1992 goes for around ?400-500  :banghead:

If Its Loud and Noisy , I'll take its picture

Back to the top
I bought Mk GTi 1983 non campaign for 200, sold the interior for 180 as it was petrol blue stripe.Put my buckets in it and splits with tyres. Cost 160 to mot and clean had tax on screen for 2 months so was laughing Sold it recently after 8 months part time use for 600 to a mate who spent that again on a koni kit...

'83 Diamond Silver Campaign GTI
'85 UR quattro 20v 5 cylinder
'94 VR6 Corrado 82A149D3-2379-4966-97B1-6874E7574575.jpeg

Back to the top
Going back to Drews point on the safety, this is the one big downside with many classic cars. Even a diehard Mk1 fan (which we all are) would have to admit that being in a 22+ year old small hatchback, even one as good as the Mk1 is not the best place to be in an accident……

One of the reasons that I like the idea of a large late 80's / early nineties Merc estate or one of the bigger Audi's from the same era is that they are very solid and not insubstantial cars with reasonable safety standards even today. The W124 Merc estates especially would fare pretty well in an accident against anything except a very large Chelsea tractor  :wink:

Most of the things I have read seem to show that the biggest factor in how seriously you are injured in an accident is the size of car you are in.

Admittedly I don't have kids to cart around, but just 'cos you buy a banger doesn't mean it has to be unsafe. I think thats the great thing about the low end of the market - size and spec of cars often mean nothing. A large late 80's Merc can cost the same to buy as a popular hatchback from the same period - the reason? Unless you are an old git like me or live in the Outer Hebrides the lower fuel consumption, higher labour rates and insurance premiums are going to put you off the large "expensive" car.

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Are you actively looking for a W124 then? If needs be, I can run you through a lot of the problems these cars encounter. And which variant to look for, etc.

Back to the top
If I can get a W124 for under a grand (which seems possible - a lot about).

I've already managed to turn up a lot of information on the common gotchas:
- Head gasket needs to be changed every 100K on the 6 cyl engines to avoid trouble
- Driver seat bolster usually goes on 100K+ cars
- cosmetic rust on front wings common
- check auto box for jerky changes
- disintegrating engine wiring loom on later 280 / 320 post '93 models
- check condition of spheres and pipes for self leveling rear suspension
- Corrosion or leaks around the rear hatch window rubber

They are easy cars to clock as they hide their miles well, so important to see history of mileage (MOT's ideally or verifiable service history docs).

Nothing beyond the competent DIY-er seemingly, although some jobs like the head gasket on the 6 cyl cars can be a pain to do and takes time.

I am ideally after one of the later multivalve petrol 6cyl cars - a 280TE/E280 would be my first choice, but might be a bit new to fall into my price range.

A cosmetically average '94 with good history and lowish (119K) miles, full leather and aircon plus airbags and full electrics  is currently on ebay at about 1200GBP. More than I want to pay, but then ebay isn't always the best place to buy in my experience - a lot of overpriced rubbish on there car wise. The real bargains require more legwork and hunting through the less well known small ads sites and keeping an eye out locally.

Would be great if you could PM me any other info on these cars. I may pay slightly over banger money, but once sorted the W124 has the potential to do me good service for quite a few years in comfort with some serious towing / load lugging ability.

It would also mean borrowing a trailer or hiring one occasionally would open up the world of non runner "classics" to me. Once that MOT and tax expires and a car has to be towed away the sellers market shrinks drastically along with the price!!!!

Chris

Back to the top
You've done your research well because that's about it for likely troubles. The rear suspension is worth checking over because its time-consuming to repair. The later multivalve petrol cars wiring looms are really costly, too. I really doubt you'll get one of the E models for under around ?4000, though. So you're best off going for an earlier model, just in terms of price.

I can understand why you want a 6 cylinder model. I think everyone should drive a 6 cylinder car at least once in their life! But, you might find the 230TE more bearable for fuel economy day-day.

Its also worth going for a 7 seater, the 3rd row of seats don't take up that much space and it makes it much easier to sell the car on.

Back to the top
I can understand why you want a 6 cylinder model. I think everyone should drive a 6 cylinder car at least once in their life! But,

Back to the top
Yeah I have to say the six pots appeal (in any car), but especially the Mercs. On the fuel consumption point, unless I go diesel (unlikely as these seem to command premium money), then ther is a not a lot in it unless I go for a 4pot 200TE. Not really a tow car and to drive it loaded would probably mean working it harder anyway so negating any fuel savings from what I have read.

The newer multivalve engines seem to have slightly better consumption. Thats why the 280 multivalve 6 pot seemed like a good compromise. Consumption is better than the earlier 300TE's with the straight sixes, and even on a par with the earlier 230TE 4 pots, but you still get the 6 cyl experience  :wink:

twin turbo - I know what you are saying about the bigger Scorpio's, but at this age of car I'd be worried about corrosion and general reliability.

The list of "issues" for the W124 Mercs above (engine loom aside) are actually not major to DIY. The loom issue is only the part of the Loom in the engine bay and is a straight unplug and plug in replacement. Sadly its a Merc only part, so I'll have to get a cost for it before deciding whether its a showstopper  :dontknow:

Looking back over my posts I have to say it doesn't look like I'm in true bangernomics territory as I AM getting attached to the idea of a particular car as a keeper (W124). I suppose there is nothing wrong with that as long as I'm honest about it.

I think for something like a W124 Merc to compete with true Bangernomics  - I'd have to be looking at the longer term - it would have to last me 5+ years with only maintenance costs and no biggies.

Hard for me to put a price on being able to drive around in something I enjoy as well though…….I'm just not emotionally detached enough about this  :oops:

Back to the top
It sounds like you've talked yourself into a W124 then. All you have to do is find one you're happy with now.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.