Skip navigation

Starting Snags

Back to the top

Starting Snags

Thanks everyone for the advice.   :y:

The starter for an auto is certainly in a different place - located under the exhaust manifold, making access from above a matter of feel, and with the right hand driveshaft obstructing access from below.

Robb - you make accessing the solenoid sound so simple!  :wink:
To get to it (located on top of the starter) I need to remove a metal heat shield that is bolted to the starter at its free end (easy to undo) and secured with a jubilee clip at the other (nigh on impossible to undo due to driveshaft obstructing screwdriver).  

Got any clues of how to get it off?   :dontknow: Anyone……….

Ian (Wishing he had a manual gearbox  :banghead: )

'89 Clipper Auto and '92 GTI Cabby

Back to the top

IanT said

Thanks everyone for the advice.   :y:
Got any clues of how to get it off?   :dontknow: Anyone……….

Ian (Wishing he had a manual gearbox  :banghead: )

You might have to remove the driveshaft; or the exhaust downpipe (is it the downpipe or the manifold which is getting in the way?)

Back to the top
tried to get the barrel off today. bumped into a few problems. I cant slide the cast metal barrel assembly off due to a certain splined bit the steering wheel slides onto. I`ve hit it used a puller and it wont budge. I have given up for now, need some more advice.

Back to the top

satelliteone said

tried to get the barrel off today. bumped into a few problems. I cant slide the cast metal barrel assembly off due to a certain splined bit the steering wheel slides onto. I`ve hit it used a puller and it wont budge. I have given up for now, need some more advice.

Do you mean the black plastic sleeve between the splined steering wheel receiver and the copper bearing at the top of the steering lock/ignition assembly? It's a pain to get it off for the first time (since it was assembled in VW), but it's easier after that.

Note the two slots in it, at the copper bearing end - use screwdrivers (or similar) in these to shift it…

Back to the top
Type17,Yeah its the splined bit the steering wheel fits onto. In between this there is some spacer thingy and the a copper bearing. I cant slide anything off till i remove the splined bit. Is it pressed on or somthin? A bugger to get off aint it. Will have another go when i get over me flu. This time BIGGER hammer..lol

Back to the top
Started first time today after not being used since Mon, but with a delay.  Started immediately this evening after being sat out in the cold at work all day, so hopefully WD40ing the solenoid has done some good - will have to see tomorrow!

paul_c said

You might have to remove the driveshaft; or the exhaust downpipe (is it the downpipe or the manifold which is getting in the way?)

Getting to it from beneath is probably going to be easiest, so as I suspected it'll involve disconnecting the driveshaft - joy  :roll:

Ian

Back to the top

satelliteone said

I cant slide anything off till i remove the splined bit.

If this is the grey-coloured splined metal part that also has the threads for the 24mm nut that holds the steering wheel on, then you don't need to get it off - it's the end of the steering column! (Don't hit it either, you'll damage the copper bearing, making the steering feel either stiff or else loose and clonky)
The black spacer and the steering lock/ignition switch are all that need removing, and they slide off over it. The pain is breaking the spacer free, as it usually hasn't been removed since the factory, and can seem like it's welded to the column when you try it for the first time (in reality, it's not glued or fastened in any way, it's just stuck with age).

Back to the top
you make accessing the solenoid sound so simple!  

Sorry for that, I can imagine what a mare it is being right under the car with no room to swing a nat :? (Not a typo :lol: )

Hopefully the WD40 will give you enough time for the weather to warm up :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top

Robb said

no room to swing a nat :? (Not a typo :lol: )

Yes it is, it should be gnat! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
:oops:

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top

IanT said

Started first time today after not being used since Mon, but with a delay.  Started immediately this evening after being sat out in the cold at work all day, so hopefully WD40ing the solenoid has done some good - will have to see tomorrow!

Started straight away on Fri morn and eve as well, however problem came back again today big style, even when only stopped for an hour.  Gave the solenoid another WD40ing and it started immediately and twice again after that - so it looks like my problem is a dodgy solenoid or damp getting into the solenoid terminals.

At least I now have a 'fix'!  :D

Ian

Back to the top
satelliteone - Doe's your car have the later type steering wheel? If so then you'll have a splined adapter fitted that you'll need to remove first. The adaptor fits over the original splines of the steering column.

It'll be difficult to remove. I know someone on here did it with a small puller and someone else took their car to VW to get it done. VW used a slide hammer to remove it, I don't know if its a special tool.

I bought a later type wheel from ebay and it came with a rather mangled adapter. So it looks like you can get it off with a hammer and chisel but as Type17 said, you could damage bearings etc.

Good luck n let us know how it goes. My switch gets hot with full beam on so I'll probably have to replace it soon.

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
I have the 3 spoke steering wheel. Got a bit of metal showing in the bottom spoke. I remember seeing a sportsline with the same steering wheel but with a red metel insert. It came with the car and i would say it rather a large splined bit. It does look like i got to take off the splined bit off. This looks like its quite a hard task.
Is there a way to get the switch off whilst in place? Thought about getting a dentists mirror so that i can see the back of the switch.

Back to the top
I dont think there is a way. The screw is only accessible when its been slid off the column. The Bently manual has a pic.

It could be your wheel may have come from a polo. I've seen a few on ebay recently.
I'm not sure if my sportline has the correct wheel or not. its like the later type wheel but leather bound. The same as the ones on the rivage. Maybe some sportlines were fitted with these but I'm not sure.

Back to the top
I duuno why my car has this wheel been changed before i bought it. Had a look at a diagram where the screw is meant to me so im gona have a go at it in place. have an idea to get it off, if it has one. might be the push in click type. Im gona get me self a little mirror. Not got a slide hammer or a small set of pullers but its on my bithday wish list..lol

Let you know how i get on.

Back to the top
Well, after 5 hours graft yesterday, a variety of expletives and the thick end of ?100 my car has now got new starter motor and solenoid, and my problem seems to be sorted  :pray:

If anyone else needs to change the starter on an automatic I'd definately recommend following the Haynes suggestion to disconnect the r/h driveshaft - it would be nearly impossible to do the job without!

Cheers for the help  :y:

Ian

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.