Skip navigation

New wiring looms

Back to the top

New wiring looms

I have found an auto electrician who is willing to help me make replacement wiring looms for the MK1. Probably just the GTI at the moment, but if that goes OK then we will look at more models. We're looking into costs and other bits and pieces but should be able to produce a good quality loom that will look close to original.

Just really seeing if there would be any interest in this and what sort of price people may be willing to pay. I'm not looking to make a killing but need to cover my costs :?

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
I'd be interested in an engine wiring loom for a MK1 golf GTi, later fuse box.

www.vwcaddy.com

Back to the top
Thats another thing to consider! Will it be full looms that are needed or just engine loom since that's the part that gets most wear and tear. Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
i think most people have problems with the loom plugs going into the fuse box, u can still get these plugs from vw but will have to join them on....

Back to the top
Loom is made in three sections Shortstuff. Main loom and then left and right sides for lighting circuit from memory if that helps with anyhting  :wink:

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
Cheers :y: Ripping the loom out of my car as we speak! Never knew that about the sidelights!

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
Sounds good plan. I went around the whole of the Classic Car Show looking for someone who did looms but didn't find anyone. When I eventually get around to stripping/restoring mine I'd like to do the loom too.

Keep us all posted on your progress. :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Will do! Tried taking my loom out yesterday but it's too hacked about to try replicating it! Need a new loom myself ASAP!

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
I'd be interested as mine has been chopped around a bit over the years, although is now probably closer to original than it has ever been.

I know some people will be after originality, but wiring materials and connectors have moved on a lot in 25 years - have you considered making the loom a bit more modular to allow the option of upgrading sections of the loom for higher currents? I was thinking in particular of the headlight loom upgrade offered my BRM to allow the running of more powerful headlights up front?

Given the susseptability of Mk1's to electrical faults I think a replacement loom would be a popular item. WOuld potentially make restoration of the car a lot more straightforward too as long as you were able to label up the connections in some way. Would mean people could strip out all of the old loom and start with a known good one.

I'd certainly be interested.

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
ive got a good dash loom and engine loom  

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
I can supply the wire, conduit, crimps etc.

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
Sounds good Doug. Heat shrink too or no? I'll give you a call at some point to check costs (or see you at next meet). Things are getting a bit hectic here and I don't seem to have as much time as i'd like :(

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
Everything! :mrgreen:

There is just not enough days in the weekend!

Back to the top

Re: New wiring looms

Shortstuff said

I have found an auto electrician who is willing to help me make replacement wiring looms for the MK1. Probably just the GTI at the moment, but if that goes OK then we will look at more models. We're looking into costs and other bits and pieces but should be able to produce a good quality loom that will look close to original.

Just really seeing if there would be any interest in this and what sort of price people may be willing to pay. I'm not looking to make a killing but need to cover my costs :?

Hello Shortstuff - I joined only last night to see what this is all about.  I would also be interested in obtaining a complete set of looms for an '83 Campaign c/w a Turbo Technics mod'. As to cost, I have no idea, but you must know by now what you would need to cover your own costs I imagine?   :lol:

Back to the top
Hi skycrowuk.
 unfortunately alex aka shortstuff, has gone missing from the site for a month or so.
 ive met the chap a couple of times at our southwest meet and he is sound. unfortunately no one can get hold of him and he isnt replying to pms or emails.
 i know that he has just had a baby, so i hope that everything is going well there and he is having no problems.

just though i should let you know, so that you arent waiting for a reply.
 Douge has been known to do the same mod, so may be worth dropping im a line instead if you dont get a reply.

Oh, Welcome to the club :y:
Cheers
John

1983 mk1 gti 2.0l 2e powered
newman cam
ported, polished, big valve 1.8 head
audi throttle body
SWWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTT

Back to the top
Correct i can! however mine are not as neat as SS's but still the same work well. :wink:

Back to the top
Id be interested in a new loom, complete or just engine bay.  If you could work out some way of supplying it with labels that would be extremely useful, especially for those foolish people who ripped there looms out months ago and didnt label anything! (like me!)

Back to the top
At Present i can supply Plug n Play Headlite looms but im working on a COMPLETE loom. I have no fixed price yet but it'll be around ?10-15 for the Headlite loom.

PM me with details etc.

Back to the top

Looms

I'd be looking at a dash loom & rear loom , I'm leaving the engine loom as it seems to be working at the mo ( fingers crossed).

I've got a complete loom spare not sure what year it is though :oops:

If Its Loud and Noisy , I'll take its picture

Back to the top
if anybody has got a loom good enough to copy then as long as the plugs and all the other connectors are available i can manufacture new looms no problem. as for price as a rough guide i make looms for the air cooled lot and a loom for a split screen camper works out about ?180 but bear in mind a golf has a hell of a lot more wires! if any body is interested then pm me or mail me at wirralautowiring@tiscali.co.uk of course custom looms and fitting is also available
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.