Skip navigation

engine swaps?

Back to the top

engine swaps?

ramm said

basically, what's the difference between GTI and G60 engine??

G60 is supercharged. Also the bottom end is stronger/better lubricated, to cope with the increased power.

ramm said

could you give me more details (and horse power pls) between these engines:
1.8 GTI 8v
1.8 GTI 16v and
1.8 G60 /1.8T

112-140bhp
139-170bhp
170bhp-230?? (G60)
150bhp-280?? (1.8T)

16v would need fuel lines re-doing, to the other side of the engine bay; a new bracket for the fuel metering unit; relocated washer bottle; wiring changes.

Dunno about G60.

1.8T would need extensive wiring changes/integration of the donor car's wiring, since it uses an ECU with an immobiliser linked to the ignition key.

Back to the top
thanks paul_c

i got another question about this engine swaps
i got mk1 with 1600cc engine in it..
what would be the best engine to put into with the most less changes required??

maybe i'll swap the engine with the biggest cc possible without reconstruct the engine bay.. then after than i'll only need to change the engine components such as cranks, cams, n pistons.. so which engine will suit the best??

there is another question that i'd like to add..
basically what the difference between 8v and 16 (put it the same cc).. is it the power, torque??
the basic info that i know between those are, 8 valves and 16 valves.. the 16 valves has more high rpm power..
does 8 valves have more low end power??

thanks

Back to the top
16vs have more power and torque,8vs feel more torquey due to ther delivery though. Best swap for yours with little difference would probably be a 1.8 8v with a 2.0 bottom end

Back to the top
Yeah I was going to suggest 2.0l short block too. There are a few different types of 2.0 litre VW engine around, I think its the 3A (unsure???) which has the same stroke as the 1.8 so it doesn't need a new manifold, etc and is generally less of a headache to put in.

It depends on what facilities and money you have, really. For some people, the fun comes from swapping and changing lots of stuff, to get it just so. What seems like a major burden for one person, is another's hobby!

Back to the top
I've got a 2.0l 8v using the tall block in mine, I bought it like that though. They do fit with minimal trimming. Although it's not my choice of engine. I've got a G60 in my mk1 caddy, not running yet though.

Mk2 VR6, G60 CABBY

Back to the top

This is what i am hoping to put into my mk1 driver! A 1989 RE1900  16v and to be honest i cant wait. it was such a rapid thing in the mk2. overtaking was effortless and once you got to about 3500rpm pow it was just a surge of power put a smile on my face every time. :D

i need to start collecting alot of parts.

I understand alot of stuff will be needed from a mk1 gti like fuel pump, steering rack, wishbones, fuel tank and lines?

Does the mk2 Master cylinder fit the mk1 aslo what about the rear disks? i would prefer disks all round.

Back to the top
Don't G60 engines have sodium filled valve stems? the same as ferraris?  I'm sure I heard that somewhere :dontknow:

Back to the top
If I was doing it again I'd still go the route I've gone now :D  - 2.0 16v from the mk3 (ABF unit), the engine is only 10bhp down on a G60 as standard, but when fitted into a mk1 with the appropriate exhaust/ manifold, air filter and ECU remap (mine was done at Stealth) the engine becomes a little ripper in the light weight mk1 - mine was rolling roaded in Feb at 193bhp at the flywheel 8O  - using the motronic you can get very good power out of the ABF for very reasonable money, to get that sort of power out of a KR would be serious ???'s and a G60 would be on a smaller pulley and remap by this point but a fair bit more fragile!

It's all horses or coures I guess, but I do enjoy the way mine drives… I'd like to try the bike throttle bodies route that Matt is trying too though!

I (personally) think that there is a point where you need to appreciate a mk1s limits before you've chased power too far, more power needs more traction, so wider tyres which mean you loose the nimble feeling a standard mk1 has, you also need better brakes to stop a more powerful car, bigger brakes need bigger wheels which again spoil the feeling of a good mk1. It's all personal I guess though :dontknow:

Back to the top
welll guys im actually doing a vr6 swap into my rabbit right now. and yes it is a pain in the ass. but the 16v and vr6 weight the same only depends on were you position the battery. it was about more if you place your battery up front. but if you place in the rear it weights exactly the same as the 16v with the battery under the hood. . just thought i'd let you guys know

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

20vTs-takes summit away from the soul of the car imo, i always imagined my ultimate mk1 as being a tuned na engine with instant grunt and no crazy traits of running a 4000 brake turbo which jumps lanes when its finally wound up the turbo(i know a standard 20vTs nothing like this im running one albeit in the mk4)and i know its easy enough to bang a 180 20vT and then tune it but just cant see myself in a mk1 with one fitted

8 years doesnt half make a bit of difference to this answer lol
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.