Skip navigation

What would YOU do?

Back to the top

What would YOU do?

I have a dilemma…I recently acquired my first Mk1 GTi and I really enjoy driving it.  The only thing is it needs rather alot of work to get it up to my standards and I am now wondering whether it's worth it or should I sell on and get something requiring less work?

It's a good car, rare colour for a mk1 gti (oak green from factory) and has had one owner almost from new.  Sadly he hasn't looked after the body which is suffering a bit (I have 2 new wings and a second hand scuttle - thanks crazyquiff) and I am in two minds whether to just do what's needed or go the whole hog or cut my losses and sell on.  I do have the fsh too and tons of spares.

Oh bli…typically female eh?  So undecided!  8O  :banghead:

What would you guys do?  Sell on and buy better, do the bare minimum for the winter or go the whole hog.

It's not necessarily a money thing, I just can't make me mind up!  :scratch:

1985 MK1 Black Cabrio almost immaculate
1972 1300 Beetle Bright Orange covered in flowers Stocker almost immaculate

Back to the top
couldn't give up on a mk1 to be honest  :wink:

Go the whole hog with it!.. or at least make sure it's mechanically good then you can do a bit of the bodywork when you want to, to find a good Mk1 WITH Full service history would be difficult in my opinion, you've got the history.. just need to bring it back to it's former glory!

Oak green?? sure it's not Lhasa green? either way.. nice colours

Keep it  :D

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
I don't think Oak green was around during Mk1 production!
Didn't it only come out as a Late spec Ltd Ed Mk2 colour (Oak green 16V)?

Back to the top
Chaps, from memory when jenny joined us, it IS factory colour as was German import (correct me if I'm wrong Jenny?!) Anyway, I'd keep it given its rarity and make it spankingly shiny and new! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Chaps, from memory when jenny joined us, it IS factory colour as was German import (correct me if I'm wrong Jenny?!)

Not convinced (yet!)  :?

Colour does not appear on any VW documentation (VW colour and trim codes or one if its paint suppliers codes) , I have never seen one even on the continent, strange that VW would invest in developing a new colour for a one-off, plus the interruption to the factory paint booth.

Is there a paint code on the boot sticker?

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Chaps, from memory when jenny joined us, it IS factory colour as was German import (correct me if I'm wrong Jenny?!)

Not convinced (yet!)  :?

Colour does not appear on any VW documentation (VW colour and trim codes or one if its paint suppliers codes) , I have never seen one even on the continent, strange that VW would invest in developing a new colour for a one-off, plus the interruption to the factory paint booth.

Is there a paint code on the boot sticker?

Cheers
Rajan

that told me!!! Go for it Rajan :cheer:

I thought there had already been at least two in this colour turn up here? :dontknow:  (..and verified?)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Even if it really is Oak Green, even if this was an ultra-rare UK standard/option colour from VW, it wouldn't actually add any value to the car, in a strictly monetary sense. Unless someone can show me a price guide with different colours on it, confirming this! In any case, aren't green cars unlucky?

If your car requires a little too much work to justify in your mind (and remember, there will be more undiscovered work required - how many times have you restored a car, taken something apart to look at another component and thought to yourself "Oh wow, that looks in unfeasibly good condition considering. Hmmm, I am pleasently surprised") then by all means sell it and look for another.

Golfs and similar cars like this, never make economic sense to restore, neither are they particularly rare, so if you want a usable car, there are plenty out there you could purchase and you'll be just as happy.

Its a different matter if you've had the car a while and you go through a 'phase' of a number of items needing replacement at one time. In this scenario, there is a good case for "better the devil you know".

Back to the top
Hairyarse is in fact CORRECT!  I am pretty fed up with people asking "Are you sure it's not Lhasa Green?"  :roll:

My Mk1 1982 GTi IS oak green paint code L94E and not Lhasa Green!
It was built in 1.2.82, collected form Germany on 6.3.82 and registered in the UK on 8.2.82.  It is the original colour and hasn't been resprayed.

PROOF enough?

:|

Back to the top
In fact, thanks for the comments…has made me determined to bring him up to former glory ad keep (quotes permitting)  8O  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Glad to hear you're keeping it. Looks nice in that colour and by the sound of things is a bit rare. Good luck!

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
In my opinion I would always opt fot the unmolested rusty example over a tidy restored one. Especially if you are perfectionist. At least the work will be to your own standards.

Nothing worst than looking at an average repair thinking if only it was done properly.

Go on keep it or ring me  :lol:

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top

jennybugs said

I am pretty fed up with people asking "Are you sure it's not Lhasa Green?"  :roll:

:oops: Sowwy… glad to see your going to give it a new shine of life though  :y:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
OOOH!

I am going to be told today what my new NHS Agenda for Change grading is…apparently my manager said I have done well!  That means a whole year's backdated pay!  That means money for the work to be done on the GTi!

WOOHOO!  :mrgreen:  :dance:  :cheer:

Back to the top
Oaks are brown anyway.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top

jennybugs said

OOOH!

I am going to be told today what my new NHS Agenda for Change grading is…apparently my manager said I have done well!  That means a whole year's backdated pay!  That means money for the work to be done on the GTi!

WOOHOO!  :mrgreen:  :dance:  :cheer:

Nice one!! U keeping then?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

tallpete said

Oaks are brown anyway.

The leaves aren't (except in Autumn)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice one!! U keeping then?

Even though my Agenda for Change grading leaves me worse off for the next 2 years, I am still intending to keep it as it seems more and more obvious to me that I have a real rareity  :mrgreen:

Going to be getting a couple of bodywork quotes soon!  8O  :lol:

Back to the top
Take a chair with you -some of the quotes i got were horrendous.Bit like my spelling !

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
I know!  I am not looking forward to it!  I intend to get 2 quotes…one for the bear essentials…wings and scuttle…and one for the whole lot!  8O

Back to the top
After reading your first post, I was preparing myself for pictures of a real shed!

Keep it! It looks pretty mint to me!

Shonky

'82 Mk1 GTI 1870 160bhp
'83 Mk1 GTI 1800 (Now deceased)
'80 Mk1 GTI 1600 (Now deceased)
'83 Mk1 GTI 1800 (Now deceased)
'81 Mk1 Golf 'C' 1093 (Long-Awaiting racecar transformation)
Audi A8 Sport (Gone but not forgotten)
Toyota MR2 MK1
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.