Skip navigation

MK1 20vt Megasquirt v.335

Back to the top

hmm

MK1 20vt Megasquirt v.335

megasquirt is good but like any standalone theres a certain amount of ironing to be done

the best bit is you are  not limited to what mods you do cos you can alter the map so if you want bigger injectors turbo ect ect a few years down the line its not a problem just remap the car

oem is good but you have to keep the maf the coilpacks these are the bits that make a 18t unreliable  :wink:

Back to the top

Back to the top

lol

your know different to me then i didnt have a clue about ems until i got the megasquirt it looked so hard but with a bit of reading ect it can be done

as for the laptop a cheap ?50 jobby of evil bay would do it as long as it has a serial port on the back :wink:

Back to the top
bump

Back to the top
ive just read this thread front start to end and is exelent!! thanks for the chat ben really put my mind at rest, i knew i would have somthing else to ask you!! can you send me the link for the megatune maual please?
ta mate!!

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Manual_Index.htm

try that it will look very um involved but most of the stuff it says to do is already in the base map so all your be doing is checking tha afr and timing ect once running :wink:

Back to the top
thanks mate!! :notworthy:  :y:

View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Ben, how did you set up your ignition map to be optimal? Are you using extra hardware and the existing engine's knock sensors? Or did you simply take a guess at the settings and advance a little bit more until you heard it knock?

Back to the top

paul_c said

Ben, how did you set up your ignition map to be optimal? Are you using extra hardware and the existing engine's knock sensors? Or did you simply take a guess at the settings and advance a little bit more until you heard it knock?

i didnt use the knock sensors as at the time megasquirt were still in the testing stage i do believe now there is a system called knock sense that can be built to intergrate with the ms i think eddie is in the process of testing this

with my spark map it was a case of listening hard for any pinging then we adjusted the spark and fuel map until this dissapeared this was done originaly with no boost so running n/a then increasing bit by bit until we were at the desired amount

mapping like this works best up steep hills and under load in a high gear at low mph

trust me when i say you know when youve got the slightest of pinging on these engines  :wink:

Back to the top

Back to the top
you should be ok once its all wired up ill give you a map file that should be ok

Back to the top
hey ben, quick question? what flywheel and clutch have you used?? 8V or 20V??

Back to the top
8v one mate

Back to the top
cool nice one. where did you wire your pug coil pack into? what pins on the ecu?

Back to the top
ive got my engine
heres some pics
donor car:

guna give it a steam clean tomoz and see how it comes up!!

Back to the top
How was the car written off? It looks like its had a front impact (dent in oil filter) and also a roll (top of windscreen). Apparently, the advice is to avoid a rolled car, since their engines were probably still running but then starved of oil during the accident sequence. Obviously a front impact can damage important components, yours looks like it survived the worst of it.....

Back to the top
mine was rolled when i got it i had teeth missing of the water pump and cam belt so was a bit worried up untili heard it run sweet

the coilpack will wire into the pins that eddie fits the vb921s to pin 36 or 37 is spark A and B will be on one of the spare pins :wink:

Back to the top
it went up and over a hedge!!! and landed on its roof, the engine runs sweet but it does smoke a bit, i removed the intercooler and it had about 1/4 litre of oil in it!! i worked out that it must have been on its roof for a while because the oil has all run into the rocker cover and through the breather pipes and into the inlet, the dent in the oil filter was the radiator fans and it had hellova bad roll!!!! there isnt a straight panel on it!!!
but it does staret on the button first time and runs really well with good boost, i drove it up the lane outside my work when i got it back and it pulls really well!!

Back to the top

bens_cab said

the coilpack will wire into the pins that eddie fits the vb921s to pin 36 or 37 is spark A and B will be on one of the spare pins :wink:

what the vb921s??????

Back to the top
its the internal ignitor that fires the coil

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.