Skip navigation

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Back to the top

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Have to agree with Mark, if you only plan on doing the job once or twice, the ready done kit is probably a better bet.

You'll need a reasonable quality flaring tool to do a decent job, and its probably only worth investing if you see yourself doing this on several cars.

Let us know how you get on Mark - I have this job to do (have the replacement lines already) but I never seem to get round to doing it!!!!

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
I just borrowed a vice held flarer from my local mechanic - picked it up at quitting time and leave it back first thing next day! its a great little device!

i would say the flaring was the simplest part of it! just took time getting nice bends in the pipe and two people is good for holding it all in place before final tightening up!

Back to the top
Some more photos from the last couple of weeks of finishing off. Weather has been getting very cold so I have quickly primed and painted areas to protect them till next summer when I can do some decent paint/bodywork, mind you doesn't look that bad considering all done with aerosols. Plastered the inner arch with seam sealer, so should be well protected :pray: .

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Nice one Mark - job well done! :clap:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
good work - get it well rust proofed..

Back to the top
Top job 8)  :D

Back to the top
looks spot on  :y: and fair play for sticking with it in this weather

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Cheers guys. There will be so much rustproofing on there I'll need a 16v transplant to haul it all around :lol: .

Been wearing 3 pairs of socks and 4 jumpers to keep warm, trousers help as well :lol: . As long as its not raining/snowing next week I'll be rolling around on the cold ground fitting my new brake pipes and refitting the fuel tank.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
I'm liking this. Top work Mark :clap:

Long live Mk1's! :mrgreen:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Been busy last couple of weeks fiddling with fixtures, fittings, getting hold of nuts and bolts etc for last couple of weeks. Not far away from putting back together. Here some more pics….

Inner arch looking forward - all primed, painted, stonechipped and painted again :lol:

Inner arch

Inner arch looking back

Sorry mess of rusty brackets - pump basket was just rust 8O

Cleaned up all the brackets with an angle grinder and wire brush then painted with Hammerite. Fitted new mounts and stainless steel nuts/washers.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Thats looking really good - she'll be good for another 20 years!

Back to the top
I bet your well pleased its over now! :lol:   I'm dreading the day I start that same job! :cry:   Good Stuff :wink:

Back to the top
Inspirational stuff Mark - well done for sticking with it at this time of year. That white paint looks pretty good for aerosol - must have taken a good few tins to get it like that  :D.

That pump bracketry is looking superb as well - its amazing how well some of the original parts come up after a good clean and repaint and plenty of elbow grease.

Its almost enough to motivate me to get out into my garage even in this freezing cold!!!!

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Cheers, it is cold (car is at my parents who live on the Suffolk coast), but once I get stuck in can't stop myself. Only been painting on dry days and been warming up panels with heaters from the inside the boot.

The arches were zinc primed, sprayed with alpine white, sprayed with stonechip and in the latest photos have just been painted with alpine white again. As the stone chip leaves such a rough finish I brushed the final alpine white coat on. Got half tin left over from spraying with a compressor which I thinned by about 30%, good finish even with a brush.

I did get an aerosol of alpine white for the outer arch, filler neck area and the qulaity is amazing. I had it mixed up at a paint factors and they did cost about ?9 for 500ml, but the finish is another level compared to the off the shelf rubbish sold at places like Halfrauds.

Really chuffed with the brackets. Think its important to try and save as many of the original bits as possible when restoring.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

markwon said

Cheers, it is cold (car is at my parents who live on the Suffolk coast), but once I get stuck in can't stop myself. Only been painting on dry days and been warming up panels with heaters from the inside the boot.

The arches were zinc primed, sprayed with alpine white, sprayed with stonechip and in the latest photos have just been painted with alpine white again. As the stone chip leaves such a rough finish I brushed the final alpine white coat on. Got half tin left over from spraying with a compressor which I thinned by about 30%, good finish even with a brush.

I did get an aerosol of alpine white for the outer arch, filler neck area and the qulaity is amazing. I had it mixed up at a paint factors and they did cost about ?9 for 500ml, but the finish is another level compared to the off the shelf rubbish sold at places like Halfrauds.

Really chuffed with the brackets. Think its important to try and save as many of the original bits as possible when restoring.

I'm having temperature problems too - I washed a panel for spraying, and normally the small drops of water would have eventually dried off. Today, they wouldn't dry out, even with a fan heater directed at them. I guess that applying stonechip or topcoat will be no use in the current weather.

I think I know the paint you mean - Holts Dupli-Colour?

Back to the top
I'm having temperature problems too - I washed a panel for spraying, and normally the small drops of water would have eventually dried off. Today, they wouldn't dry out, even with a fan heater directed at them. I guess that applying stonechip or topcoat will be no use in the current weather.

I think I know the paint you mean - Holts Dupli-Colour?

No, the place I've been getting my paint from sells Max Meyer paint systems. They'll do it 500ml cans ready to go or 500ml/1litre tin from spraying with a compressor.

I generally avoid wiping panels with water as you do know where the wet might hide, and can take a while to dry out properly. I wipe down prior to spraying with white spitirt as it evaporates very quickly in all conditrions and is also good at removing grease etc. As you say, spraying over any damp or wet is going to mess up the job.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
I used thinners to wipe down the surface before painting, really don't like the idea of wiping it over with water, that's what causes the rust  :(

great work on those parts there markwon, think my fuel pump brackets too far gone really to clean up.. its lower down the list of things to replace, hoping someone will reproduce them as they're quiet expensive at the moment

well done for sticking with it in this weather too.. I'm sure it wasn't this cold last year when I was doing mine

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
hi your best to buy panel wipe to clean the panels, wipe it on with kitchen towel and then wipe over again with a dry sheet. this is avaliable at all paint suppliers, thinners can cause a reation when you respary.
rgds volkswarren

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
hi your best to buy panel wipe to clean the panels, wipe it on with kitchen towel and then wipe over again with a dry sheet. this is avaliable at all paint suppliers, thinners can cause a reaction when you respary.
rgds volkswarren

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
You really need to go over it with a tack cloth as well to pick up any particles of dust and stuff.

1988 convertible  sapphireblau
ChipsAway -- Car Scratch Repair - Smart Repairs
chipsawaybelper@aol.com
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.