Skip navigation

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Back to the top

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Wicked job man, reminds me of the months of welding, on me mk1, theres a few spots i gotta look at soon, and that will be one, ive noticed a bit of underseal hanging off with rust underneath in the same spot, top of inner arch

Cheers, must have been a bummer finding that when you were looking forward to a lovely new paint job. As you say some of those rust spots can be quite well hidden by the sealant VW applied to the wheel aches.

Fitted up the outer arch last weekend and tacked into place. Going to finish welding it this weekend, then can get on with grinding and filling.

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Lookin good mate, i sort of miss welding on me mk1 now but ive got sum more spots to sort, especialy the chassis leg bit.

Keep us posted on the progress, sum good pics, and good to see a another mk1 gettin sorted proper. :wink:

Back to the top

hum

yea  looking good  keep it up :)  :)

Back to the top
nice work, im hoping to get mine in the paint shop soon to sort some rust bubbles out, mainy on the tailgate and the area aound the fuel filler, looks to me you have used two different pannels in that area, an inner and an outer one, lokking a the rust around mine its mainly at the bottom lip right on the swage line of the recessed fuel cap area,
So without cutting it to it how do you recon ill be able to tell if ill need the both? or is it just the one pannel??? also where did you get it from a website address/ telephone number would be great!!!
cheers
alex.

Back to the top
Cheers, the inner panel part is actually an extension of the inner arch which mates up against the back of the filler panel. You can check this area by taking the rear wheel off (obviously jack it up and stick it on an axle stand first :lol: ) and examing the inner arch where the filler neck exits the car.

You need to have a good prod and poke aroud here and its worth taking the black plastic arch trim off to inspect the archs all the way round to make sure all is well. Also whip the black plastic breather pipe cover off as rot can occur behind here unseen.

Hard to say without seeing it, but rot round filler neck can actually come from behind and may indicate corrosion in the upper inner arch. This pic was taken looking up ino my arch with the filler neck removed. A few stabs with a screwdriver created a nice couple of holes 8O

All the panels I used were Hadrian Panels . Can't buy them through the website, but they might be able to point you to your local stockist. I got mine through my local paint shop, think most motor factors should also be able to get them.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
I had a quick look on Hadrian for parts, and they have a stockist locater section to help you find your nearest stockist.

HTH

Anthony

Back to the top
Finished welding wheel arch area at last, fit of pattern panel ouetr arch wasn't to bad. Got a lot of grinding to do inside the boot and then need to weld the rear support back on, thenn can stick some piant on and put car back togther  :D

Rear arch welding finished and ground back

With a bit of paint and filler to cover it up. More finishing to do :roll:

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Nice to see another Mk1 being restored,excellent pics and info,keep it coming fella  :D

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
nice job man,mosly becouse this place is not so nice to welding.  :y:

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
Just when I thought there was not much welding left to do decided to grind back what looked like a couple a couple of scabs on the N/S arch and found more rust :roll: . Ended up spending Saturday cutting out the areas and patching. Rest of the N/S arch all in pretty good order. Amazing how the box sections round the rear can look ok on the surface but just crumble away at the touch of a grinder.

Welded the rear seat rest back onto the arch, will all need cleaning up and piant. Not looking forward to drilling the big hole for the seat belt to mount into.

Thats all the welding finished for the winter. Going to put the car back together in the next week or so (with new rear brakes and my Automec pipe kit) and get it in the garage for a couple of days to stick some paint and wax on. Then hopefully MOT and GTI for the first time in 4 months :twisted: .

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Nice one mark! cant wait to see it painted :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Not looking forward to drilling the big hole for the seat belt to mount into.

Dont push to hard on that drill Mark :lol:

Nice job your doing mate Cheers……..

Back to the top
good work

Back to the top
you've done some great work there and should stop that dreaded unmentionable from coming back  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Cheers, nice avator Phill, shame restoration can't be that quick :lol: . Just got my Automec brake pipe kit (junked all the rear brake pipes as they were rather rotten). Nice and shiney and arrived within 48 hours of ordering, :D

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

markwon said

nice avator Phill, shame restoration can't be that quick

wouldn't be much fun if it was though  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Nice little kit from Automec Mark. Keep us posted on quality, ease of fitting etc! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
so with that kit all you really save on is cutting the pipe and flaring it?

suppose if you have no flarer…

however i have routed my pipes in some cases in a different way to stock to tidy the bay up - but with that kit i guess they will be stock lengths….

Back to the top
Nice neat work there, top job  :clap:

Banner

Back to the top
so with that kit all you really save on is cutting the pipe and flaring it?

suppose if you have no flarer…

You're quite right, I don't have a flarer or a lot of time :D . I'll takes some photos once fitted up and report back.

1983 1100 C
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.