Skip navigation

Reached this in my golf

Back to the top

Reached this in my golf

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
you aint going to heaven :wink: what gearbox you using? and what gear was you in?

Back to the top
normal 1.8gti i think.
in 1st, lol na obviously in 5th.
dont know if it went higher, its quite hard filming on ur phone with one hand and actually driving with the other, just wanted to see wot i could reach on the way home.
not legal i know.

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
you are a bad, bad man :wink:  aerodynamics kick in at high speeds, bet your steering wheel was shaking like a good un' 8O, depending on what box/engine you got some are faster in lower gears but you have clout of engine regardless of box, hope you done your brakes too :lol:

Back to the top
I thought the top speed of the standard 1.8GTI was 112mph, or is it 122mph? With a little inaccuracy on the speedo, this is totally believable (if its 122). Or, is your motor modified??

Back to the top
i dont reckon his is standard, they go faster than 112mph depending on what engine/box you got but i reckon aerodynamics play a part and feel  unstable over 100 wheels shaking about like a good un' unless pulls there

Back to the top
hi guys,
i had a '99 citi in SA, i got 172km/h out of it, on the gauge, obvously there is error and it needs to be recalculated to true speed,
but it was on a slight decline, (really, only slight) and it was only a 1.3 carb engine with 5 speed box. :lol:

'04 golf 4 1.9 tdi

'05 citi golf 1.4i

Back to the top

paul_c said

I thought the top speed of the standard 1.8GTI was 112mph, or is it 122mph? With a little inaccuracy on the speedo, this is totally believable (if its 122). Or, is your motor modified??

Official Figures are 112bhp giving top speed of 117mph, but it can indicate higher due to smaller circumference wheels, tired speedo unit, incorrect drive on gearbox end of speedo cable, etc.

Back to the top
Mine goes above that, so far that the needles right the way round to past the last digit of the odometer. Not got the balls to take pics though.

Mine'ss been modded a bit though.

Back to the top
my old black x reg 1 went off the clock like that but it had a early 1.8 audi
sport engine with a 1.6 5 speed box if that makes a diff

1984 white s2 golf gti , 2006 golf gti

Back to the top
Remember, its not speed that kills.....its the sudden deceleration when you hit something.....

Back to the top
oi oi, must be sumthin in the devon air i reckon... mines a 1.1 and seems to go nearly 110 lol!

Back to the top
careful wot u do with that pic....... there was a guy with a ferrari or something filmed himself doing 180 mph...... police got hold of it and prosecuted him.....ooops

Back to the top
yes dont worry its not standard.lol
i know what the standard 1.8gti does cus my mate i was racing was doing it.
its actually had a transplant from a 2litre that ive modded.
brakes done and brake lines etc, was actually fine going that speed, suspension done too. coilovers in a few days :D cant wait.
im hoping im not leaving any evidence around that i did it, only the speed.
anyway yeh it was fine and safe.

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top

mandy said

careful wot u do with that pic… filmed himself doing 180 mph… police got hold of it and prosecuted him…

de3660 said

…my mate i was racing was doing it…

Be careful people, the 'net is a public place, and what is written there is in the public domain, and has been stated in writing. Also, people are not as anonymous as they may think…  :|

Back to the top
erm good point lol.
well its not actually true i did it on photoshop lol. yeh rite.
no but really this could be on a track, or dyno or anything.

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
Realistically, I don't think anyone could make a conviction stick. I have heard the story about the case where someone was done, and it started with a posting on the internet, but I never saw the original posts so maybe its "urban myth". I think the police have other things to worry about than browsing motoring forums for trivial offences, like catching murderers and terrorists…..

Back to the top
yeah seen one about a megane or something dont know if it was on here or not.
i think they would have a hard time proving if a person actually did anything or not.
but either way i aint gunna talk about it too much more.

Simon R - YouTube

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top

tomo320 said

you are a bad, bad man :wink:  aerodynamics kick in at high speeds, bet your steering wheel was shaking like a good un' 8O, depending on what box/engine you got some are faster in lower gears but you have clout of engine regardless of box, hope you done your brakes too :lol:

Why should the steering wheel be shaking like a good un ! A correct front end set up etc will make it as steady as it would if he were doing 50mph,

Mines fine at that speed too, where permitted of course  :P

MK1 Golf   GTI 1900
MK2 Jetta  GTI 16V

Back to the top
its been all of em, what else can you set up apart from suspension, tracking, balanced wheels, correct tyre pressures? on private roads of course 8O  certainly dont feel like 50 anyhow
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.