Skip navigation

What's your daily driver?

Back to the top

What's your daily driver?

My mk1 is now my everyday car. My other car is a 1991 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 2 Coupe in black/black. It has brake/exhaust/intake mods and produces around 105db of beautiful flat-six howl. I've timed a 0-60 in 5.2 with a g-tech accelerometer. Its a great trackday toy!

Back to the top
:y:  Greg!

Banner

Back to the top
Not fair!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Bad boys, bad boys what ya gonna do? What you gonna do when they come for you....Bad boys, bad boys.......8)

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

kins said

Bad boys, bad boys what ya gonna do? What you gonna do when they come for you….Bad boys, bad boys…….8)

How gullible am I?!! Just saw the 'Pics of my car' link in your sig and clicked on it - FOR THE SECOND TIME!!! :banghead:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

kins said

Bad boys, bad boys what ya gonna do? What you gonna do when they come for you….Bad boys, bad boys…….8)

How gullible am I?!! Just saw the 'Pics of my car' link in your sig and clicked on it - FOR THE SECOND TIME!!! :banghead:

Good job you told us as I was just about to do it too!!!

Back to the top
hi all, im new, hav put some info in the appropriate section…

my daily driver is a mk2 golf driver!

unfortunately both my mk1s are off the road but hope to have the gx as my daily shortly

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top

kins said

HAHA! Great 911/movie knowledge !!

Back to the top
:roll:  PAH! My daily driver is my good old Mk1 Golf…it breezes through 32 miles a day doing up to 65mpg in good conditions…so I'm proud of it keeping up with today's motors. There isn't a day goes by when I can't floor it past a modern car that's getting on my wick!  :wink:  
But you soon pick up annoying things like stone chips, bird poop and mud that you have to keep on top of to keep the car nice. Annoying   :x
Anyone got a garage goin spare?!  :(

Back to the top
my daily driver is a mk2 golf driver!

Ahhh…. my first company car was a Stratos Blue 1989 G-reg 1.6 Mk2 Golf Driver. Loved it, but virtually killed it in three years and 140k miles!  Ended its days crumpled by a brand new Jaguar XJ8 which was also written off. Went out in style!

Then I got the best company car I've ever had. A brand new 1992 Mk2 16v with every toy save the air con….. those were the days. It cost ?18000 in 1992!!!!

Cheers,

Drew.

Back to the top
?18000 in 1992!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's equivalent to ?24,800 in 2005 - I'd say the new Mk5 is very well priced compared to that

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
As I recall the list price was 16k, but I'd added a decent stereo (boot mounted CD changer in 1992 was extortionate), leather interior, electric windows, electric sunroof (unusual for a mk2), the front light cleaners, heated washer jets,  the BBS RA alloys, Oak green paint …. all paid for by the company.

Good job that one! I was only 22, and was the envy of all my mates, most of whom were driving around in C-reg metros and the like!

Missed that car - I've never seen it again but it is on the road somewhere.

Cheers,

Drew.

Back to the top
sounds fantastic!!

would have liked to have got a mk2 gti 16v but saw my car for sale and fell in love with it! its also more sensible cuz of my age and the horrendous insurance. have spent heaps on the bodywork & bits to make it look "unique" - maybe not to everyones taste though!  its been really reliable and is fun to drive. its not slow and beats off a few corsa chavs! its just gained 10k cuz ive changed the clocks for gti ones. been thinking about an engine convo when money allows! i hav far too many car projects on the go!

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
As I said earleir, my daily drive is an Alfa 156 but the head gasket blew today on the A14  :banghead:

So, my daily drive for the next few weeks will be a bicycle and a single carriage train… if only I'd got the golf back on the road sooner   :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
:boohoo:  Unlucky :tlc:

I had a 145 cloverleaf it was pimpin (full black momo leather and 150 brake twinspark grunt) but decided to go back to my roots and buy another Golf (my first car was a d reg mk2 1.3 c special ).

Well I flogged my Cloverleaf to my Mum and Dad. Since I sold it its had……..

new headlamps ( as the adjuster rods snapped) ?150 each 8O
a new electric motor for the fan,
temperature sender,
resistor (behind radiator),
it sheared the teeth off the cambelt resulting in 8 new exhaust valves so relevent headwork too, About a ?1000 worth of damage 8O
All the aluminium underneath the engine is corroding 8O .

My parents are on Holiday this week…. I got a phone call from my Mum saying the  electric motor for the fan has gone again 8O .

You could say I had a lucky escape and sold it at the right time! I feel guilty selling it to my parents but I never knew it was going to be that much trouble! :sick:

Oh well money in the bank for me and I have a MK1 project to blow it on :dance:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Unlucky about the alfa Andy  :?

Drew, that sounds like one sweet mk2 you had . I had a mk2 16v in oak green years ago - it was far from new though, i think i paid 4,500 for it, can't remember the year. But it was the first proper sporty car i ever had, and the car that made me a huge german car fanatic. I've had nothing but german cars since - and have loved every one of them to bits!

cheers.

Back to the top
Just junked my N**a as repairs were more than the car was worth(some little oik threw a stone at the screen while I was driving)! Now got a Peugeot 306 TD and i'm loving the handling :D

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top

Shortstuff said

Just junked my N**a as repairs were more than the car was worth(some little oik threw a stone at the screen while I was driving)! Now got a Peugeot 306 TD and i'm loving the handling :D

I used to have a 306 Gti6. That was just a bit fun to drive! :twisted:  - plenty of 3-wheel cornering! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Daily driver?

Well that'll be the mk1 then!

Altough picking up a Passat on sunday to replace it whileI mull over wether to kick the hell out of it, drive it, restore it, break it, burn it..etc etc…

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
at the min im driveing a rx7 with 590 at the wheels not bad for a 1.3  8O
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.