Skip navigation

What's your daily driver?

Back to the top

Daily driver!

What's your daily driver?

Well I'm going to have to trump you all with my 1993 1.6 BMW 316i, it has a raucus 105bhp powerplant, genuine halfords seat covers and a spectacular flip paint job! It goes from red to pink and stays like that until you wax it again! It can propel myself and my dogs or tools effortlessly from a to b in real style! Appart from the rust, dents, dog hair & spit, torn seat covers and stone chips this car could be described as a pile of poop!!!…..Walt!!

Back to the top
1984 'A' redg Cabby in totally standard form, day in day out!! What ever the weather I  am driving it!!

The wife drives a 1997 'R' redg Mk3 16v…no laughing at the back there i can see you 8O Personally I think that the mk3 gets bad press. I find it quiet (compared to the Mk1) and much more comfortable. It will have to do for a while now….

Moving up to a 'Mamas and Papas' 2004 Limited Edition drop hood 2 leg drive, with interchangable seat configurations and multi cup holders at the end of May!!

Hurrah!!  :D

Dan

Back to the top
Well, my Lhasa Green Campaign is shortly to be my ONLY driver as continued lack of employment has meant the Mk1 MX-5 has to go. Not happy about that at all as it took me ages to find a decent one and I love driving it in the good weather.

Still the golf is easier to maintain, will probably hold its value better, is more practical and as much fun to drive although in a different way.

When finances improve I will plan to get another Mk1 MX-5, probably a BBR turbo. I'm really hooked on classic cars these days. My current "ultimate" would probably be a 70's 911 Carrera RS (or a replica of the same). Would also really like to get hold of an early 70's Citroen DS21 Pallas for generally cruising long distances in effortless comfort and style - that and of course avoiding high speed ambushes by would be algerian assassins  :wink:

Modern cars may be reliable and economic, but they just bore the wotsits off me in the driving department, unless of course you are spending mega money….. in which case why not put it towards a really interesting classic supercar  :wink:

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top

2005 S-Type Jaguar SE with all the toys including SatNav.   :D

Not drving it or the GTI at the moment due to ill health.  :cry:

Guess I must be getting old!  8O

Back to the top
Just swapped my VX220 Turbo for a Vectra GSi with 19" rims and Astra SRi Turbo 200 bhp with 18" rims. The Astra is an excellent machine with the Sport button pressed. As well as the damping firmed up, the rack quicked, the throttle response is amazing (even better than K-Jet!). Makes you wonder why anyone would want to spend ?20k on a less perfoming GTi.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Mk4 TDI (130) is my daily driver as it's my company car. Luckily I have a choice (up to a point !), so could add the sports pack as well. At least I don't have to drive a Mondeo or something !
'Nightly' driver is a Caddy Sport. I say nightly because that's what hits the road in the evening when it's off to Wickes or B&Q (I'm doing up an old house at the moment). I often take it out for a blast at the weekend as well just for the fun of it. Actually a couple of people have asked if I've 'made' it from a Mk1 Golf as they haven't seen a Caddy before (!)
My Campaign is still in bits in my Mum's garage. House looks like it will be eating up all my spare time for quite a while yet …………….

Back to the top

daily drive

Very cheep so does the 130ml round trip ok

Used to do it but needs new CV & bearings at the mo

For the weekend

and my babyblade for when I'm p**sed off with traffic

:banghead:

If Its Loud and Noisy , I'll take its picture

Back to the top

git said

erm mk1 golf campaign (when it's not being fixed)

Mines just been in garage again! Always breaksdown when no time to fix so have to pay garage for replacing a hose and a fitting a new starter motor. Can't wait for the invoice to arrive :evil:

Still, can't wait to drive it again! :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

daily driver

My daily drivers are both golfs. My newest edition is a mk4 GT TDI (130bhp). Only down side I have found is the rear windscreen is too high so not confident at reversing yet other than that great car. :D

My other is my mk1 GLS (for sale) bought this as a daily driver but felt bad about abusing the low mileage on it 56k to date, Now it just sits out side so I can look at it.

My mk1 GTI campaign is stored in the garage awaiting total restoration. not that it needs it that much but seeing all the concourse ones thats the idea. Mind you I entered it at stoner park last year and it scored 115 points out of 140. judged by James Wallace.

Back to the top

Re: daily driver

kate said

My daily drivers are both golfs. My newest edition is a mk4 GT TDI (130bhp). Only down side I have found is the rear windscreen is too high so not confident at reversing yet other than that great car. :D

I found this in the mk4 as well…. but you should try a Mk5, much worse! It makes the mk1 feel like a greenhouse!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
i drive my Impreza wrx type RA most days but like to take the golf once a week just to give it a run, although the impreza is a superb car and awsomely quick ( 0 - 60 mph 4.6 sec's , 1/4 mile 13.8 secs) i realy do love driving the golf - much more fun without havin to go so fast :D

Back to the top
Either of these………

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
I use my golf daily even though it still needs a bit of work doin on it. I also have a Honda HRV Vtech which is a very easy car to drive if very boring. Was considering a Type R but i would be guarenteed to lose my licence within a wk.

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top
Whatever you drive as a daily driver… DON'T buy a Ford (sorry for the bad language!)… mine's gone in for a cam belt, Thermostat and Temp sender… phoned them up today to find out they've treaded some of the threads for the thermostat and broken a sensor (and GLUEING it back together)!!

quote ' they're doing the best they can'…. yeah right!

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Drove this as my first car (drove my ma's for five years) bought in 2000 as a standard 1.3 genesis coupe - found the arch kit put on a sharan front splitter and lowered with boge and bilstein - the best car ever - never missed a beat….

Then a month ago the brother bought a mk4 1.8t and I offered to buy his mk3 and I sold my Polo - all in the space of a week!
I love the mk3 golf… so comfy!

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

Drove this as my first car (drove my ma's for five years) bought in 2000 as a standard 1.3 genesis coupe - found the arch kit put on a sharan front splitter and lowered with boge and bilstein - the best car ever - never missed a beat….

I've always had a soft spot for the mk2 and mk3 Polo. :y:

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
I?m a poor student and can?t afford more than 1 car.  :cry:
My MK1 GTI is my daily driver 8) . I must be mad because at the moment my I am on my placement year and commute around Leeds. I don?t think the MK1 is designed for city driving but at the weekend she gets a nice razz down the A65 to Ingleton :P . Don?t think I?ll ever get a sensible car for a daily driver. Would love a VX220 turbo next.:D

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Seems owning a mk1 gti is for the rich with all the cars mentioned!!

My daily drive is a cheap Alfa 156 2.0TS … bought at a car auctions in Essex bidding against a scary looking east end London car dealer. I held my nerve though and bagged a bargain! Is a great drive and v differnet from the one before that… a smart car!!

Back to the top
86' bumper gti oak green with 2.9 vr6

fk coilovers
16v ebc brakes all round
polybushed

amd remap
carbonio intake
powerflow zorst straight throw (bloody loud)
schrick inlet
samco hoses

steel wheels
(serious sleeper :D  :evil: )
pics soon

A VW Golf leak oil dont be silly it's just marking its territory!!!

Back to the top
My daily driver (at leas in the summer months) is just that, my Mk1 Driver on forties.  Its only about 8 miles to work.

I also currently have a Lancia Y10 (my 6th Lancia) which I have been using over the winter while the weather was too horible for my beloved Golf to come out and play.

My competition car is a 1982 Austin Mini HL which has bucket seats, harnesses, fire ext., roll cage not to mention a 1275 MG engine soon to be equiped with a single DCOE/DHLA 45.

I also have a Fiat 900E Pandora camper van.  I have just finished welding new sills and arches onto this thing and took it away last bank holiday for its first trip camping in the best part of a year and a half.  You may scoff but its super cheap to run, smaller than a VW Type II (so it fits in regular parking spaces) and just the cutest thing you've ever seen.

I've had my current Mk1 Golf for five years and before that I had a 1979 1100N on a T-reg (also in Mars Red).  That sadly met its end whilst sitting at a red traffic light when it got rearended by an uninsured Vauxhall Astra…
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.