Skip navigation

My mk1 resto

Back to the top

My mk1 resto

A good point about POR 15 is that no grit blasting is required, you only need to use Metal Ready etch primer which itself leaves a zinc layer and kills any surface rust.

I spent time last weekend stripping the old paint of my block.

I am kind of undecided, if the top coat enamel I am getting made comes through I may be tempted by the Zinga, if not I am going POR 15 all the way.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
when you did the gear linkage did you get the new heat shield and boot from vw? if yes do you know the part numbers and prices please.......keep up the good work ,and keep posting it looks awesome. :mrgreen:

Back to the top
hi carbs4ever

i must take my hat off to you…your project is really at a very high level!

i'm living in the uk, but will be returning to South Africa shortly (where the mk1 is still produced), and I have my own project planned…will post pics once it's underway….

it's good to be part of the international Mk1 community!!!

all the best for your project…i'm looking forward to seeing all the progress!!

SA RIDES
96 mk1 citi blues (limited edition)
96 mk1 citi chico (runabout)
91 mk2 Gti 8v
89 mk2 Gti 16v

Back to the top
Thanks guys

@kar mann I'll get you the numbers - don't know em off hand.. they were about a tenner each

vw4life - thank you - look forward to seeing your project - good to save the mk1's! 8)

Back to the top
"New heat shield and boot from VW"

Purchased these last week  

Boot    V171711195C ?10.73
Shield  V171711229A ?9.14

Cheers…..

Back to the top
just love seeing pics like these really nice, wot plans do you have for the interior ??

G60

Back to the top
andy77 Ive got Polo GT front seats (nice and slim seat with driver up and down adjustability) and the normal mk1 golf rear bench - will get them covered in a nice material which suits the paint scheme - nothing mad just subtle tones.

The a c pillars window sills etc are body colour

Got brand new 78 door cards front and rear - small handles front - no arm rest impression on the rear (never been used!!!)

Trying to find a nice steering wheel too - seen a mountey one on an old beetle but the guy won't sell - working on it though..

took my 45's out of the box on Sunday evening and my new manifold and put them on the manilfold and put on the trumpets - just sittin on the kitchen table - awwww can't wait to get them on the head and workin - look awesome!! more pics soon.

Back to the top
Looking forward to the next instalment "carbs"
Im getting so much motivation for my 81 resto 8)
I will post some pics when i can work out how to upload them :?
Keep up the good work!
PS how about selling me your jig frame?

Back to the top
How about makin your own ye lazy…. :lol:

Only kiddin - I'm in Northern Ireland so postage would be difficult! :(

Easy to make  :wink:  :lol:  8) -

what not to say: :cry:

I don't know where to get steel
I don't know how to weld
I don't know a welder
I don't know where to get castors
I don't know the dimensions

What to say :wink:

Oh look in yellow pages in my area I see a steel supplier
Oh look there's a welder bloke too
Oh look there's some old castors off somthing lying around the scrapyard
Oh look I've just stripped the running gear off the mk1 and when I look underneath I see exactly where to connect the jig! :wink:

The best part of a retso apart from workin on the car is making things to make workin on the car easier!  :D

Make your own - you'll like doing it and you'll have it for your next mk1! Cause one is never enough!

Back to the top
Very true,
on all counts! :lol:

Back to the top
Big respect carbs4ever, I'm thinking about tackling my Mk1 after the Summer but I don't know if I'm going to have the guts, time or space to do it (I graduate this Summer).

Was considering getting Wagen Wheels involved in Southampton. My biggest concerns are sourcing parts and getting mechanical things very wrong, in addition to being able to afford tools and the like!

I'd like to do as much work as I can myself, but that might be limited to stripping and final fitting up  :( any advice?

'98 Championship White Honda Integra Type R

Back to the top
Well stripping before sending to a spray shop can save you quite a bit of money. Do what you can.

Strip the car and weed out any gremlins and sort them out! Make it as easy for the spray shop as possible and keep on their case!

Back to the top
Yeah I'll have a chat to them about it and see what we can come up with  :mrgreen:

'98 Championship White Honda Integra Type R

Back to the top

my resto

Hi Carbs

(Excellent Restoration)…….

Just thinking!! Failing all the encouragement and tips you have metted out to everyone on this forum…….how about coming over and doing mine!! While you'd be here, just imagine how many other Resto's you cud be doing!!!

TC

Back to the top
Is the pay good? :lol:  :D

I'd love to change jobs! Office >>>>>to big shed dust  fumes sparks! greeeeeeeaaaaaaaat! I hate the office!

Back to the top
My FK Konigsports came today from Gwent VW Audi

They packaged them really well in their original box and then in a bigger box - great service too - only ordered on Saturday morning and here this morning!

Worth all the scrimping and saving for! Now I can get on with the rebuild!

Back to the top
Man - I'm inspired! Looking pretty damn sweet I have to say…

I've gotta build me one of them jigs for my car too. Having seen the underside of yours, I can see now what I've gotta weld into mine to get it back to what it's supposed to be like…  :)

Any idea when you're going to be finished?

Back to the top
Hopefully be on the road this time next year.

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

My FK Konigsports came today from Gwent VW Audi

They packaged them really well in their original box and then in a bigger box - great service too - only ordered on Saturday morning and here this morning!

Worth all the scrimping and saving for! Now I can get on with the rebuild!

Ohhh nice….  I want them too :).

I?m impressed of that serious rebuild, really nice work.

/Mike

-84 GTI Mars red (campaign)

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

-98 VW Passat Variant TDI

Back to the top
Yea i keep taken them outta the box and looking at them - like a big child :lol: anyone else do this with new stuff? :oops:

Won't get at the car till next week so i'll have to bide my time…

thanks again for the comments :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.