Skip navigation

Standard front springs.

Back to the top

Standard front springs.

Well, I need to do something about my variable front ride height. The previous owner has somehow got the right side 20mm higher than the left. Doh.

Ideally I'm thinking some new standard springs(pair) new shocks and new top mounts.

Only thing is GSF only list mk1 springs, not GTI springs, and VW want ?50 each for springs!

1. so any one know where I can get cheap GTI front springs?
2 I have been told to get original VW top mounts as GSF ones wear out quick, anyone know about this?

Thanks

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
You might get cheaper VW springs from GPC.

I believe all Mk1 springs that are listed are GTI springs - I'm sure littlekev looked into this.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Just looked on GSF website and they only list 20mm lower springs, full set for ?80

cheaper than the ?100 VW want for two.

Big boys toys think they can get them. ?17.50, but none in stock!

Gonna lower my car at this rate!

Peter

Back to the top

Back to the top
I'm not sure but I think little Kev was talking about inserts and struts and not springs.
I've recently replaced my front shocks and top mounts and asked for advise here too, this is what I found out:

Springs: Genuine ones have spots of paint on according to model, I found out through ETOS and littlekev that mine were correct.

Inserts: I uprated mine to Boge gas ones from GSF and ride is much firmer and not really any harsher (my old ones were Monroe and were past it anyway). LittleKev has gone for genuine struts and inserts. I'm sure he said that inserts come with new struts and the price was only a few ? more that the Gas inserts I bought from GSF. Wish I'd known before really!
He said that the inserts are the same for all golfs now as only the heavy duty ones are now available which were originally used for the GTI.

Top Mounts: I took Dubboy's advise and went for Febi ones from GSF which he said should be fine (they had the original part number on). GSF also sell a kit for top mounts which includes new bumpstops, bumpstop cups and metal sleeves/bushes that go inside the top mount. The parts in the kit didnt look like they were going to last so long but GSF assured me they were as good quality as Febi parts, I wasn't so sure so didnt go for the kit. I bought genuine bumpstops and cups and new sleeves and some new washers too.

I was going to do a how to on replacing front shocks but havent got round to it yet. I've got some nice pics of what happens to the top mount bearings and the top of the inserts if the spacer is left out!

Back to the top
Thanks for the feedback ross

What's a strut?

Peter.

Back to the top

Re: Standard front springs.

tallpete said

The previous owner has somehow got the right side 20mm higher than the left. Doh.

Did the old owner live in Milton Keynes?? …all those roundabouts!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
What's a strut?

Its the bit that the wheel and suspension hang off and originally was part of the shock absorber.  Now mostly inserts replace the shock but still go inside the strut.

Back to the top
Oh, GPC, I need to stop skim reading.

Called them, they don't do any springs at all.

Can I use second hand springs with new shocks and top mounts? or is that a rubbish idea.

Still not sure what struts are Ross.

Peter.

Back to the top
That's right, all the struts are the same for mk 1's but the springs are different. The part no listed for the gti is
171411105G951 or 171411105G953
Might sound hard to belive but some polo's from 90-94 were fitted with the same spring????
Both are priced at ?40.94 & vat and have blue paint marks

1996 Gti Anniversary 8v Mystic Blue
1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue

Back to the top
Ok, to clarify.

Top Mount - Rubbery thing at top, Get Febi ones from GSF ?10ish
Springs - ?50 from VW or Second hand??
shocks - Ross called inserts? VW ?30 or GSF ?20

Strut- Don't know, how much? where does it go? do I need to replace? Included in VW price?

Peter.

Back to the top
I've had a quick search on the net to find an exploded diagram of front suspension and this is the best I could come up with quickly! Apologies :oops: Hopefully it will explain what a strut is in more detail.

http://www.courtesypar…32/oe_shock-front_tt.html

The part that has the description front drivers side/front passenger side is the suspension strut. The strut on the golf has a removable 'insert' which can be removed from the strut after unscrewing the large cap on the top of the strut. VW dont sell inserts separately as far as I know but GSF do and sell uprated gas ones as well as standard oil ones.

If I was going to change my front suspension again, I'd go for VW items as its much easier to replace strut and insert as a complete item. It can be difficult removing the insert from the strut as the cap holding the insert in can be a rusted on badly.

Hope this clarifies?

Back to the top
What year is your golf? i have a box of new vw front springs for mk1 golfs :) wouldnt be looking for too much for a pair, say ?35 posted

Back to the top
171412329A Top mount ?25.45 & vat
171412031J Frt strut ?31 & vat (includes shock absorber)
171411105G951 Frt gti coilspring ?40.94

Vw have never done inserts, they just supply the complete strut. I wouldn't waste my time with an insert either unless i was upgrading my shocks in which case i think you can only buy inserts.
I could sell the genuine struts for ?24 & vat but unfortunately the carraige would bump the price back up

1996 Gti Anniversary 8v Mystic Blue
1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue

Back to the top
Thanks chaps.

Just ordered 2 springs, two shocks, and two top mounts. ?200.

Gulp.

Peter.

Back to the top

suspension

My Gti Cabrio also has one side 20mm higher than the other at the front, thanks to the local garrage replacing 1 broken spring for the MOT. Looks like a speedboat now!
Am I right in believing that Cabrio springs are 20mm shorter than standard Mk1 Gti springs?
I believe the original Struts & dampers were supplied by Bilstein and the replacements are B4,s which bring the handling back to original with a 5% improvement - whatever that means. I dont know who manufactured the springs but Eisbach seem to make the correct approved ones.
Anybody found a good cheap source for these parts please let me know.

Back to the top
I recently took off the lowered GSF springs and binned them, they are rock hard and you can fell every bump in the road. So I got a full set of original VW springs off a scrapper MK1 Golf GTI, the springs had cpolour codes on them. I combined the springs with Boge gas shocks and added new bump stops. The only thing is the bonnet on the car rises on acceleration and the gap between the top of the tyre and the arch is different from the front to back. The back is sitting lower than the front!I'm sticking with them though, much more comfortable.

Back to the top
I have seen quite a few MK1's that are lower at the back - maybe same reason??

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yes, thought so. Mine has 20mm Boge lowering springs and it looks even ride height at both ends and is less prone to rise at the front under heavy acceleration than what I assume must be standard sprung GTIs.

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Hairy, I think my standard GTI suspension setup, which shows the rear slightly lower is the nor. no way I'm going back to those red springs. :banghead:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.