Skip navigation

Stuttering, stalling and stopping

Back to the top

Stuttering, stalling and stopping

Hi,
 I have exactly the same problem you are referring to on my 91 clipper. I've done everything that you have done, Fuel pump, countless fuel filters, coil, ht leads, plugs, distributer. I even fitted a weber conversion cus it was doing my head in so much. I've come to a conclusion that there must be a blockage.
1. Mostly occurs going uphill.
2. Only seems to happen when fuel gauge is reading 1/4 or below.

Heres how I solve it. (Lasts for about 150-200 miles)

1.Remove fuel cap.
2.Disconnect fuel line from inline filter bulk head side.
3.Connect nozzle of foot pump (the kind you get from camping shops)     to fuel line.
4.Pump it till you can hear air bubbling in the tank (from filler neck)
Best of luck. Paul

Back to the top
Thanks Malibu,
I haven't really paid attention to fuel levels in relation to the problem. Have to see if a full tank of petrol temporarily cures the problem. I suppose an easy solution if this was the case would be to ensure I have at least more than quarter full petrol tank.

Out of interest have you had a look in your fuel tank? If there is something causing a blockage, your solution presumably blows it back into the tank for a while? going to take my fuel lines of at filter and tank ends and blow throuh with airline - see what comes out.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Blew through fuel pipes today. All that came out was very clean looking petrol. Suppose shouldn't complain, but no obvious blockage. Couldn't get the fuel feeder unit out of top of petrol tank, would not budge. Haynes say to remove with two crossed screwdrivers - how?

Replaced fuel pipe from filter to pump as looking a bit old and not long enough. Also found jubilee clip round fuel pipe into carb was very loose, although pipe was tight fit. When refitting airbox noticed the oil breather pipe had been re-rooted as did not clear carb properly. The old hole (about the size of a 5p) had not been covered so I blocked this with a grommit.

When restarted fuel filter seem have a bit of a better flow and when switched engine off did not continue to fill with fuel. Fuel actually sucked back down the pipe? Drove car for about 12 miles this evening and held speeds of 70mph+ and managed hill at 60mph with no problem. Not convinced i've fixed it yet - will have to do more test driving. Could the small hole directly into the airbox caused carb freezing despite the warm airfeed?

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Malibu - forgot to mention all the above was with less than a quarter tank of petrol.

Cheers

1983 1100 C
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.