Skip navigation

Historic road tax classification

Back to the top
Adolf they will just return your form, you need to wait until April next year to get the registered as Historic.

I tried to register my 1978 Mk1 Scirocco (Aug registration) In September 2018  When it reached 40 years but had to wait till April 2019..

Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax: Eligibility - GOV.UK

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that I actually complained to the DVLA about this and yesterday received this reply:

''Thank you for your contacting us.  I have been asked to investigate and reply.

Firstly please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or stress caused.

I am sorry for the difficulties that you have experienced, and I appreciate your frustration with the current process we have in place for customers who are entitled to the reduced rate of vehicle tax.

In one of the Chancellor’s previous budgets he announced that there would be a 40-year rolling exemption for historic vehicles. This was introduced on 1st April 2016. This means that vehicles which are 40 years old will become eligible for the historic tax class from 1st April each year. E.g., A vehicle which was manufactured before 1st January 1985 will be eligible for the historic tax class from April 2025.

So its more to do with the budget change in April not when the vehicle reaches 40 years old. As the chancellor could make the decision to put an end to the rolling exemption.''

If I am reading this correctly what they are saying is that because it was introduced in April, they only process it in April regardless of when your car turns 40; and they have no intention of applying it to the date that your car actually turns 40 and give no real reason as to why. I don’t believe this is what Chancellor George Osbourne (I think) had in mind. What does classic taxation class have to do with budget change? The chancellor could put an end to it regardless of when it is applied if he feels like it. It is totally irrational.

Your comments appreciated. In fact, if you could also complain to the DVLA, that would be great.

Back to the top

The rear reason is that they can get up to 11 free months of additional taxes on you, because Your Pol's are like our Pol's, they are Gravy Sucking Hogs.  They don't like any reduction in Taxes or Revenue.

I moved cross country once about a month after buying a car from my Brother-in-law I didn't have it titled in my state.   When I went to title it, I had to pay Taxes back to the last time it was titled date, 5 years prior to me even owning the car. even tho the car was registered, titled and taxed for the previous 5 years in a different state.  That was 1500 USD to me.  2 years later when I moved back to Georgia, it was only 40 bucks for the new title and tags.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
A vehicle becomes Historic (Classic) as the DVLA put it on the 40th anniversary of it's build date when the MOT exemption is in question so why not the same criteria for tax exemption.
n one of the Chancellor's previous budgets he announced that there would be a 40-year rolling exemption for historic vehicles. This was introduced on 1st April 2016. This means that vehicles which are 40 years old will become eligible for the historic tax class from 1st April each year. E.g., A vehicle which was manufactured before 1st January 1985 will be eligible for the historic tax class from April 2025.
To me this means that a car that is 40yrs old on 1st April is eligible for tax exemption, the above actually states this, how they interpret this as meaning a car built the previous year I don't see.

Back to the top
Reading the legislation again - looks like I'll have to wait till 1 April 2024 for tax free running

MOT free anyway but I'd get an MOT anyway for safety reasons.

I'll see what dvla say when they return my form

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
Hi All, I hope you’re all still monitoring this thread. Some of you have advised that I should try and find out when my car was built, and I have been told that it is possible to ascertain the actual build date from the VIN Plate (attached).

My car is a 1983 Mk1 1500 GX (carb’d)
If any of you VW boffins can do this, I would be very grateful.

Last edit: by zod

Back to the top
A few people on this thread not listening to the people in the know. 😂

Back to the top
You can work out the date of manufacture to the approx. day/week/month+year, however the info. required is on the paper boot sticker and not the VIN plate.

Have a read of this from 2013 - https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=detailing%2Fboot-build-sticker#post_1335476

The reason I now say approximate is because I've since got the VW Certificate for my own car and it's a few days astray of the date as worked out using the method from that post.

Have to assume VW are correct, but even so getting it to within a few days isn't bad and should partly suit your purposes (if only to get a date for your own info., not sure DVLA would take it as bona fide proof when the time comes however).

Back to the top
Likely get shown the door for posting up a link to another forum, but it does elaborates further on that 2013 post.

Read it to the end, there's ways of dating the main components on your vehicle (assuming they haven't been changed of course) that could prove useful in supporting a case if all else fails.

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/manufacture-date.292946/

Back to the top
If you email type.approval@vwg.co.uk asking for manufacturing date with your full postal address and VIN number they will send the info back to you in the post. FOR FREE! Takes a couple of weeks. VW Germany will want to charge you nearly 100 Euros for the privelige.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll see how far I get and apologies for not responding sooner, I didn't get an email alert. 

Back to the top
Well I got my V5c back in one envelope unaltered a second envelope with a letter explaining 1 April 2024 is the next available anniversary for historic tax status 

So yes - all info received on this post is correct.

1 April after date of registration it seems is first date you can get get change in tax status 

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top

adolf said

Well I got my V5c back in one envelope unaltered a second envelope with a letter explaining 1 April 2024 is the next available anniversary for historic tax status 

So yes - all info received on this post is correct.

1 April after date of registration it seems is first date you can get get change in tax status 

Its not even the April after 1st date of reg if your car was reg Jan-March, its the April the YEAR after it was registered

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

paceman said

If you email type.approval@vwg.co.uk asking for manufacturing date with your full postal address and VIN number they will send the info back to you in the post. FOR FREE! Takes a couple of weeks. VW Germany will want to charge you nearly 100 Euros for the privelige.
Thanks paceman, got my letter of manufacture back today. Sadly, it says that my car was built on 20 May 83. Not what I need but it only took 6 Days, so I recommend everyone in the same boat do it. Your car may be older and therefore may qualify as Historic a lot sooner and may save you a few quid in Tax and many quids in ULEZ

Back to the top
Do you have the info. I mentioned as being on the paper sticker?

Out of curiosity I'd like to calculate the manufacturing date using the method described in that 2013 post to see if it matches the one given by vwg.co.uk (or not as the case maybe).

Back to the top
Unfortunately, I don't have the sticker in my boot, but that would've been an interesting exercise.

Back to the top
No worries… I emailed VWG.co.uk a day or two ago about both my MK1 and MK2.

They sent me back a certificate within 36 hours for each, plus there's hard copies also on their way by post… very professional service.

Proof'll be in the pudding of course, but I'd say they'll be formal enough a document for the purposes of proving date of manufacturing to the DVLA.

Back to the top
They are awkward at dvla.
Once it is tax free it should be straight forward.
How ever if you want to use the post office(you don't pay but still have to tax it yearly) think again.
This service is being removed from the post office v. Soon unless we all complain. Sign petitions now pls.

Back to the top
My car was registered in December 82, went to post office in May 2023 with the correct forms, lady in post office scanned log book Tore it in half kept half n said all done
 Took like 2 minutes, registered mot n tax exempt straight away,  was super simple, every 12 month have to go online to "tax" it but there will be no charge.
Took a couple of weeks to go green on online tax n mot checker,
New log book Took nearly 2 months to arrive.
I was amazed how simple it actually was.
Also no-one checks your cars original,  most mods are fine, until you start adding more cylinders, or change the pedal box
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.