Skip navigation

Suspension advice needed

Back to the top
Hi! I have a mk 1 cab with lowered shocks fitted by a previous owner. The damping is so hard the car rattles and shakes over every bump. Although it handles well I need a softer ride and although it looks ok lower, I realise that I will need to compromise on the height. Can anyone recommend which shocks to get and where from? Go original or I had some coil overs in mind? The car is all original apart from springs and bbs alloys. Thanks in advance 

Back to the top
I'm in the same position. General consensus was Bilstein B4 and Eibach lowering springs gives the best mix of comfort and slight drop, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Back to the top
Thanks, I will take a look, the B4's will definitely give a softer ride. Have you considered coilovers? I'm concerned I will get the drop wrong and have to change them 
Not sure if coilovers would be ok on a MK 1.. 

Back to the top
I run bc coilovers on my mk1.. I'll have to remember the spring rates I chose. But set to fully soft, they're smoother than the original suspension. 

EEB0BBFD-FC78-4A9B-B295-7613C6A34EEF.jpeg

Last edit: by Roach

Back to the top
I went 5/3kg, but mine is a tin top 1.1. so light as a feather.

For a cab I think 6/5kg would be better. 

Back to the top
Thanks Ashcam 👍 think I'll have a look at some coilovers! Loving the tin top Roach 🤙

Back to the top
What's your budget as springs and shocks are cheaper then a good set of coilovers as cheap coilovers will give you a rock hard ride with lots of bump steer.

The best ride quality is the original set up as VW spent a lot of time and money getting it right, if you go lower it will need to be stiffer to stop things hitting the floor…

The lowering Eibach spring and bilstein shocks are a good comprise for comfort and looks and for just over £300 are a good price, I'm running this set and very happy with it as my cars a daily drive and it copes with speed bumps and pot holes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233057941786?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You need to have the original strut housing to use this set up as the front shocks are just the inserts.

The cabriolet is heavier than the tin top so you need to make sure you get a kit designed for a cabriolet.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Something else I just thought of if someone fitted your car with lowered springs and did not fit shorter bump stops you could be driving around on blocks of rubber... O_o

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks LH. My budget is about £600 for the right shocks. The B4s and Eibach spring look a good bet, as I'm after a soft ride and slight drop, and from what you say that's what they provide. And for that price they sound great.  Did look at these coilovers, also from Heritage. Not sure what damping I will be able to achieve.. 

https://v-maxxshop.co.uk/products/v-maxx-x-street-height-adjustable-60-vw-01

Back to the top
Unless you up your budget for coilovers, honestly don't bother buying anything other than bc, kw, h&r. 

My bc are 30 point adjustable, I've only ever really run bc's, with the correct spring rates, they're unbeatable. But you're looking around 900 quid. 

Back to the top
I agree with Roach, you need to spend a lot on coilovers to get a good ride quality.

To get the best handling for the Golf you don't really want to go much lower than 30mm or the wish bones and track rods will be at to much of an angle and then you need to start looking at flipping the track rods and extending the bottom ball joints.

It all depends on what you want out of the car, to go low for shows etc then air ride might be another option?

Also get some new Febi top mounts when changing the suspension and you will need to get the camber and tracking adjusted once it’s settled. 

Back to the top
Bilstein/Koni shocks with Eibach springs are a good setup. My friend just had Eibach lowering springs with standard shocks and that gave a nice comfy ride and gave it a good stance.
Ive got TA Technix coilovers and they are just terrible, bone jarring ride, rattles from the helper springs and if you hit a pothole it feels like there is no suspension at all!

I was going to go down the bilstein/ Eibach route but they won’t fit behind the wheels I have so I’m going for some KW V1:thumbs:

Back to the top
I went for the Bilstein B4 shocks and the Eibach lowering springs (30mm), the ride is now so much better,, Thanks for all your help!

thumbnail_IMG_1893.jpg

Back to the top
Where did you get them from? Everywhere I look is sold out :(

Back to the top
From classic-vw.co.uk I had to get sachs shocks for the rear and b4s on the front with eibach springs all round as no B4 rear shocks available. Try ringing them, speak to Mark he should be able to help ...

Back to the top
Awesome, thank you Tealfox

Back to the top
I've got a full set of used standard shocks and springs for an 89 Cabby if it's any good for you, the ride was nice  price would be cheap

Back to the top

Tealfox said

From classic-vw.co.uk I had to get sachs shocks for the rear and b4s on the front with eibach springs all round as no B4 rear shocks available. Try ringing them, speak to Mark he should be able to help …

How are you finding this set up? I'm looking at options as my unknown suspension is really crashy over the smallest of bumps in the road.

Mine currently measure 320mm from centre of the front wheel to the underside of the arch and 300mm at the rear. I'd like to be a fraction lower at the front but more compliant.

Do you know what yours measure  now?

Back to the top

Roach said

I run bc coilovers on my mk1.. I'll have to remember the spring rates I chose. But set to fully soft, they're smoother than the original suspension. 

EEB0BBFD-FC78-4A9B-B295-7613C6A34EEF.jpeg

Is there a specific version of bc coilovers to get? There seem to be a few, plus an extra low version.

As yours have the adjustable damping, is that what you mean when you say they are on full soft?

I was also looking at the heritage oem + version (I think that's what they call it) of the Kw v1s which are cheaper but no damping adjustments. Not sure how necessary that is to get a softer ride out of coilovers.

Back to the top
ESEN,

Had a look at this and mine currently measure 320mm front and 315mm back. Hope this helps.
thumbnail_IMG_2044.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.