Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf GTi Alternator Query

Back to the top

Alternator Output

Glad you seemed to have fixed it. I knew something was wrong if it was flattening the battery in a month and the B+ cable was the only thing you hadn't checked or replaced.

For ref just been out in my 1.8 Carb Cabrio, totally factory. At rest 12.8v but would think it would settle down to 12.6v. Running at 850 rpm idle or reved up just short of 14v.

20210926_121446.jpg 20210926_121552.jpg 20210926_121606.jpg

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I think you mean a higher gauge wire, not resistant… Yes you could just buy new Cables, get the one with the 2-3 aux wires that you can add additional wires off of if needed, and do away with the ring connections on the cross bolt.  a 14 or 12 gauge wire should be sufficient for your needs.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 9.51.13 AM.png

I would also suggest that you replace your battery to frame and frame to engine ground as well.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the input. Will source both wires.

Will removing the old wire, I noticed the inner steering rack boots are shredded lol…..I was getting ready for MOT next week, glad I spotted now.

Will keep you posted after installing new cables.

Thank you.

Last edit: by BRINZ

Back to the top
Sorry forgot to ask, will 14 guage wire handle 90 amp alternator? Any website I can check the specs?  Thanks

Back to the top
yes, as it is the charge from the alternator to the battery, and that is 90amps/hour  which is 90/60 or 1.5 amps per minute that gauge should be more than sufficient.

Last edit: by Briano1234

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Good work  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I am having difficulty finding 12 or 14 gauge cable with terminals fitted for 8mm studs. The length of cable between Alternator to starter is approx 110cm.

Can anyone please advise where I can source therm from?

Tried eBay, but can only get the wire and terminals separately……I don't have the proper equipment to crimp.

I prefer buying ready made.

Thanks.

Back to the top
Try a local auto spark, they should be able to make up a copy of your exact cable if you brought it to them

Back to the top
There are ebay sellers that will make them to order.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Hi, just an updated……I struggled to find a supplier in eBay. I spoke with my uncle who is an electrician by trade, he took my original cable and carried out a test using this high-tech equipment he had and straight away told me the cable is shot. He made me up a heavy duty cable. ..it resolved the issue. At idle I am getting 13.88v and under full load with engine revving to around 1500rpm I get 13.44v. very pleased. I will also carry out further tests on all the other cables. Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

IMG_20211002_183706.jpg IMG_20211002_191159.jpg IMG_20211002_191503.jpg

Back to the top
Good catch, you probably owe your Uncle a good pint or 3.   

I replace all my cables on a new to me car lessons learned from a bad negative battery cable that bit me in the posterior.  Which is why I tell folks just replace them.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.