Skip navigation

E10 fuel. Are we ok

Back to the top

its broke again said

I'm suprised there's not more coverage on fuel stabilisers to prevent ethanol issues 
Doesn't seem to be much information freely available till you go digging deeper 

It's absurd. Back when the E10 and E5 labelling first rolled out in the EU I called the ANWB - the Dutch AA. They couldn't give me any more details to ethanol levels and countermeasures for oldtimers than I already knew. Which was none. 

To be safe on long term - I think you got to do a rebuild of your fuel system at some point.

ReinoutMK1
1983 Golf 1  GTI  1.8 16v

Restoration topic
Resto on Instagram
Personal Instagram

Back to the top
Hi, I'm coming coming late to the party on this one. Only use the GTi occasionally so not filled up since the E5-E10 change. What's the concensus? OK to use or safer to switch to using Super Unleaded? Or does using super require any changes? 🤷‍♂️

Mines a 1991 Mk1 GTi cab (Sportline)

Back to the top

E10 fuel. Are we ok

Use super unleaded that is E5 still in the U.K.  and you will be fine. E10 is a no go generally. May get away with the odd mistaken fill up as point as you run it through pretty fast but generally will eat older rubber parts abs it is hygroscopic meaning it attracts water making it no good for leaving in over the winter as it will encourage corrosion of metal bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
E-10 will eat rubber parts that are still oem and not converted for the change.  E-10 is what is basically standard over on this side of the pond for years, and Non Ethanol Gas is higher than Super and only a few places have it, mostly the folks running 2 cycle lawn equip use it.  Most newer rubber hoses and such are e-rated, and well over hear we are starting to see E-15.

I have run my 90's on 87 octane E-10 for years with no ill effects but I have changes out most all of my fuel lines with e-15 rated hoses even vacuum and all my o-rings for nitrile.  Sure my car runs better on Super, but the price difference is not cost effective in my humble opinion.  You can use octane boosters to good effect.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thank you both. I think I will switch to Super then. Sounds like the best and most simple option for now

Back to the top
Just to add, I know what you mean Briano about the cost of super unleaded. For me though, as my other vehicles run super it just keeps it simple for me to switching to use it in the GTi as well but I accept your point

Back to the top
A little off topic here, but if I were to go through the hassle of upgrading all my bits to be safe for using E-10 and potentially a higher Enthonol rated fuel in the future does anyone know where to get all the bits needed for the mk1, is there a market for mk1 specific bits or is it a case of taking from other cars and custom fitting? I have yet to install anything on my car as it is still a restored rolling shell atm awaiting an engine conversion, so for me it makes sense to just install  E-10 parts now rather than the standard bits.

Cheers

Back to the top
What's the thoughts on adding additives? Guess could be as expensive as just putting in super?

Back to the top

E10 fuel. Are we ok

Werks, vW heritage, crazy quiffs, euro car parts, GSF etc all do parts for our golfs. Some do more than others but pays to shop around.

As for additive then it is entirely possible depending on how much you trust it and ensuring you add the correct amount. All my hoses on the back end are new except 1 which I forgot to order. I am more concerned about seals in the metering head and injector seals if I used E10, so will be using super unleaded. It’s not a daily drive but a hobby. So for the 10 times I fill it up each year (if that) I shall simply keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
VW Heritage had a blog post recently about this topic.

It's here..

ReinoutMK1
1983 Golf 1  GTI  1.8 16v

Restoration topic
Resto on Instagram
Personal Instagram

Back to the top
That's definitely the most useful article I've seen on the subject. Cheers for posting

Back to the top

shippers said

Hi, I'm coming coming late to the party on this one. Only use the GTi occasionally so not filled up since the E5-E10 change. What's the concensus? OK to use or safer to switch to using Super Unleaded? Or does using super require any changes? 🤷‍♂️

Mines a 1991 Mk1 GTi cab (Sportline)

You will need to advance the timing to run super unleaded to get the best out of the car.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Think I'm going to play safe and just use super, I tend to go for Tesco momentum anyway for my daily (MK7 GTI PP) there's only 4p a litre different between that and E10 where I am at the moment, although Shell V Power Is well over 1.50 a litre so tend to avoid there unless I can't!

decent read if you have the time

Everything you need to know about using E10 fuel with your classic car | Hagerty UK

Jack

Back to the top
How will it effect us who are still running with carbs? I still use the original pierburg.  😳

Banner

Back to the top

Red-or-Dead said

How will it effect us who are still running with carbs? I still use the original pierburg.  😳

Use Power Max V Supreme Ultimate 98/99 octane. Its E5 or E0

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I wonder if lpg is worth a shout?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.