Skip navigation

EARLY GTI RESTO PROJECT

Back to the top

Latest project......

Yomp said

tomsdubs said

Doesn't look too bad from a distance…

I'd done the majority of welding before it went for dipping. No real surprises on its return . Just a few pinholes under where the sealer had hidden it. 
Now snagging the welding and removing dents followed by body filing before electrophoretic coating. 

Is there a coating on it from the dipping process that stops surface corrosion? Usually I see a coating of something but that looks totally bare.

Back to the top

tomsdubs said

Is there a coating on it from the dipping process that stops surface corrosion? Usually I see a coating of something but that looks totally bare.

I think its been sprayed with an inhibiter as it was wet in places when it came back and by the taste it certainly wasnt water! but I'm guessing it wont protect for long

Back to the top

1977 GTI UHX125S

Absolutely love this series 1 Yomp and looks a very solid example for its vintage years! I have a a 78 series 1 1.6D also in silver thats on the to do list but Campaign I mentioned in previous post earlier to you  takes priority! Love this though and will follow the project with enthusiasm to see it turn back to hid former glory, cant beat a series 1! Where abouts are you based mate? Hef (thumbs up)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Yomp said

IMG_0366.JPG

back from dipping…..

Incredible work and what a find! Can I ask where you got the car dipped and how much it sent you back please?

Black 1984 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.

Back to the top

Campaigning for Dave said

Yomp said

IMG_0366.JPG

back from dipping…..
Incredible work and what a find! Can I ask where you got the car dipped and how much it sent you back please?

SPL in dudley. its about £1300 for this part. It goes back foranother dip and e-coat which is the more expensive part. I would add that imo dipping a shell is a last resort. This shell had a fair bit of patchy surface rust. Not bad enough to replace whole panels but it needed "digging out" to see if the surface rust was just that - surface rust or whether it went through. It has highliged a coule of areas that needed more than originally thought after intitially attacking with a wire wheel. The process basically removes everything thats not steel, It doesnt attack the brazing either.

Back to the top

Yomp said

Yomp said

IMG_0366.JPG

back from dipping…..

SPL in dudley. its about £1300 for this part. It goes back foranother dip and e-coat which is the more expensive part. I would add that imo dipping a shell is a last resort. This shell had a fair bit of patchy surface rust. Not bad enough to replace whole panels but it needed "digging out" to see if the surface rust was just that - surface rust or whether it went through. It has highliged a coule of areas that needed more than originally thought after intitially attacking with a wire wheel. The process basically removes everything thats not steel, It doesnt attack the brazing either.

That's great info, thanks. Would blasting have been a bit too harsh then for this project? Reason I ask is that I have a very crusty project that I'll undertake in the future and am trying to work out the best plan of attack. 

Back to the top

Yomp said

Yomp said

IMG_0366.JPG

back from dipping…..

That's great info, thanks. Would blasting have been a bit too harsh then for this project? Reason I ask is that I have a very crusty project that I'll undertake in the future and am trying to work out the best plan of attack.
Depends how bad it all is. The last one I restored never saw a blaster or dipping. I repaired the steel that needed repairing and re coated.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fex-press-fleet-series-1&start=40
People are very quick to assume that taking the shell back to bare is the only way. It isn't. Usually 90-99% of the original rubberised underseal is as good as when it left the factory and is better than anything you will replace it with.. Any parts that arent usuallly have a good tell tail as its become unsecured from the body.
Blasting still requires all the rubberised underseal to be removed prior as it just bounces off. Blasting can also distort panels. Envirostrip do a different process by heating but I've seen panels warp from this too.

Back to the top
IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

Back from e-coating

Back to the top

Yomp said

IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

Back from e-coating
 Looking frickin incredible!

Back to the top
Looks like you have just got a brand new shell :) looking forward to seeing it come alive again :thumbs:

Back to the top

Back to the top
IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

Back to the top

1977 GTI UHX125S

Wow Yomp this is different level restoration! Huge respect to you sir! Can I be so bold as to ask if you are painting it too or having someone paint it? Which paint are you using? I’ve just painted mine in VW cherry red, used Glasurit 68 line 2k solid. VW approved also and highly recommended! Again, cant wait to see this painted, it is Mars red yes Yomp?

Back to the top
Great to see this update! Looking forward to many more :thumbs:

Back to the top

Hef355 said

Wow Yomp this is different level restoration! Huge respect to you sir! Can I be so bold as to ask if you are painting it too or having someone paint it? Which paint are you using? I’ve just painted mine in VW cherry red, used Glasurit 68 line 2k solid. VW approved also and highly recommended! Again, cant wait to see this painted, it is Mars red yes Yomp?

Thanks!
I've put this one out for paint although they've let me help them so a bit more of a joint effort on this one.
PPG Solid 2K - The painter tried to talk me into clear over base but I was having none of it!! Ist shade Mars Red L31B
Yes Glasurit is a good paint - up there with the best of them.

Back to the top

1977 GTI UHX125S RESTO PROJECT

Cant wait to see this done Graham! Picking s really solid Golf driver next weekend to add to the stock lol, also in Mars red and tin top so looking forward to restoring that too at some point!

PPG is brilliant, especially their clear coat and i’ve heard their 2k high solid is top notch too. Good choice to go 2k solid and keep traditional

Back to the top
wow! Impressive! Subscribed  :thumbs:

Back to the top
50A8EE6A-7736-4C65-83F2-6D530EC53F01.jpeg

25D4EBBD-9429-4783-8CB6-6F8CDCA41ADA.jpeg

398A4AF8-C408-418F-9578-239E20EA8854.jpeg

151EC6A5-667A-4659-9A37-DDCCDA0FDE5E.jpeg

Back to the top
Great gun finish that mate!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

1977 GTI UHX125S RESTO PROJECT

Ah Graham! Been waiting for these! Loving the PPG and gun finish! Did the painter bake it, or leave to air dry warm. Fab job buddy well done

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.