Skip navigation

Top 10 predicted future classics??

Back to the top
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7521771/Ten-bargain-cars-tipped-future-classics.html

What you reckon to this list guys, I tend to disagree with most of it but after attending #ohsoretro this weekend and seeing late 80s Datsun Cherry's being loved as a classic I guess anything is possible.

306 GTI definitely but Beetle V5?

V5 is a terrible engine

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
The New Beetle will probably become a classic but if you were to choose an unusual/special one, it would need to be the limited run (250 cars produced) RSi, which has the 3.2litre VR6 and 4wd.

Back to the top
I don't agree with any of them tbh.

Some good cars there, but no, just no. 

Back to the top
so basically anything 'sporty' is going to be a classic

Forget them all and get a Y-reg BMW Mini whilst they're @£500-£1000

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
The 306 I'd agree with purely on the basis of what's happened with 205s.

No mention of Mk1 Audi TT oddly

There is a big difference between a classic and a classic people actually want to buy / own / tune / show

Current rides:

1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
OK, the Alfa 159 I can see as it is very handsome.
And the Fiat coupe I also get.
Possibly the Puma; I remember the advertising campaign and thought it was very cool.  It might be 5417 to drive of course, I have no idea.

The rest hold no appeal for me whatsoever.  Never held the Beetle in high regard, either old or new.

I find it very difficult to tell which of the current crop of "new" cars would qualify as classics as my own proclivities tend towards vehicles with corners (i.e. 70s and 80s VAG cars and Fords of similar vintage).

Back to the top
None there for which I'd swap Golfus

Back to the top
Jesus that's a pretty exhaustive list of cars Nobody wants to own

Classic is different to legendary

If you can find a Peugeot 306 Gti that's in any sort of worth having condition even now good luck with that

Fiats? Really, they are so badly built with so many issues even new they will be prohibitive to own and repair even if some are reasonably desirable

Personally I'd buy something that appreciates without the passage of decades

Like the late 90s 911 etc, Mk2 golf gti's  Ford RS models

Things people actually want to own 😂

Back to the top

Nissan GTR and Audi tt jaguar xk8

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
The saxo vts phase 1 is pretty much the car that brought back the hot hatch from the brink of death, read any of the articles back in the day and it's easy to see why that will be a future classic. I bought one new over an Ibiza GTI (wanted a kiwi green one) in 98 after reading AutoCar's write up. Then sold it for a new mk1 Elise over a used 993 after reading it was the best handling car of the millennium

MK1 Campaign Helios Blue, MK2 Rallye Blue Pearl, MK1 Clipper Cabriolet Black & Corrado VR6 Storm Mystic Blue

Back to the top

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

Mr_Rossy said

Ibiza GTI (wanted a kiwi green one)

Oooh I had a green Cordoba GTI for a bit, loved it

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Fitted standard exhaust today and drove it properly….. loved it!! 

MK1 Campaign Helios Blue, MK2 Rallye Blue Pearl, MK1 Clipper Cabriolet Black & Corrado VR6 Storm Mystic Blue

Back to the top
Subaru Impreza early versions… they have history (rally…. Colin McRae etc) and are fun to drive.  Granted they are boy racer cars but those same kids etc growing up now from those years will want one in the future.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Subaru Impreza early versions… they have history (rally…. Colin McRae etc) and are fun to drive.  Granted they are boy racer cars but those same kids etc growing up now from those years will want one in the future.

Now that’s a blast from the Past.
How you doing mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
All good bud you?

Got 2 kids now and an empty wallet (nobody told me they are linked!!).  Should be able pop on here now and again hopefully.  Website looks good and works well on my phone.  Got the silver MK1 sorted and I take it out a few times a year.

Future classics is a good question… might be worth grabbing a low mileage motor now if someone has storage.  My car has quadrupled in price!!

I saw a Sierra sapphire cosworth with low mileage go for £100k+ on the news… crazy prices!!!

Back to the top
Got it got it…..

The Vauxhall Calibra

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Audi A2… what they on about, have they seen one.. you can't even open the bonnet easily  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

WATERNAIR said

Got it got it…..

The Vauxhall Calibra

Calibra is a decent shout as I wanted one when younger but dont think it has the special ingredients to make it really sought after…

I think this first run of Tesla's would be collectable in the future due to being the first all electric car company to produce cars in this volume.  Plus 0 - 60 times sub 3 seconds in cars that look like Saloons…. dont know how you would safely store something with safely with those batteries though.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

WATERNAIR said

Got it got it…..

The Vauxhall Calibra

Calibra is a decent shout as I wanted one when younger but dont think it has the special ingredients to make it really sought after…

The 4x4 turbo or the 2.5 v6 irschmer?

I remember a mates older brother having an irschmer back when I was a teen and it felt like a rocket

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.