Skip navigation

Cable harness 16v PL engine conversion

Back to the top

Re:

rubjonny said

middle 4 pin looks to be the connection between the ecu loom and the wiring back to the fusebox. If so:
red/white - lambda heater power to E/14 spade
red/yellow - fuel relay trigger to D/13
black - ignition live to D/2, D/7, G spade 2 or 5
red/black - probably connection to terminal 15a on starter, if so goes to pin 24 on the ECU

if the 3 pin has blue/grey, blue/yellow and blue/red wires it is unused. may be for diagnostics?
Of course! So stupid, forgot about the other half of the loom (1st pic of the recieving connector). Everything is wired up in that end!

I need more help to id connectors in the ECU loom.

In picture 2,from the left:
1. Distributor (black)
2. Idle valve (white)
3. Unknown (white)
4. Unknown (black)

In picture 3,from the left:
1. Unknown (yellow)
2. Unknown (white)
3. Unknown (red)

Thanks again for the help! :) :)

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

Back to the top

I am not entierly sure that I have the correct sensor since the colour don't match the connector..

Back to the top

I am not sure if its the correct sensor if it should be any of the connectors in the previous pictures?

Oops, double post..

Back to the top
3 - ecu temp sensor -> white switch on side of head
4 - looks like the knock sensor to me, is it s 3 pin shielded cable?

spade plugs look like 3 unused connectors in the PL harness. green would be connected with the coil negative wire, green and grey/blue connected to the idle control valve wire and blue/brown to spark control unit ecu pin 4

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

Re:

rubjonny said

3 - ecu temp sensor -> white switch on side of head
4 - looks like the knock sensor to me, is it s 3 pin shielded cable?

spade plugs look like 3 unused connectors in the PL harness. green would be connected with the coil negative wire, green and grey/blue connected to the idle control valve wire and blue/brown to spark control unit ecu pin 4
4- is shielded, it looks like it is suppouse tog connect under the throtle body (picture 1). I cant find the knock sensor, where is it supposed to be located?

The 3 unused spade connections (White, yellow, Red) is connected to the ECU harness already. I dont seem to find any destination in the engine bay (sensor it otherwise). Maybe they are related to the MFA?

According to the multimeter the yellow spade plugg goes to this pin the small ECU plugg (see picture 2, lower row 4th from the right)

White spade plugg goes to the big ECU plugg (3rd pin in picture 3, lower row, from the right)

Red spade plugg goes to the plugg in picture 4 (1st pin from the bottom)

And finally, where is this bracket suppoused to be bolted down? Chassis of engine? Inlett manifold maybe? (Picture 5) it looks to be a hub for ground wires..

Skickat från min MI 9 via Tapatalk

Back to the top

I havet also forgot witch spade connector goes to witch pin om the starter motor…

Back to the top
if its the knock sensor the 3 pin plug would be connected to spark controller (pic 2) pins 13 and 14 wire colours brown, black and yellow.

throttle switch is wired to the main CIS-E control unit (pic 3) blue to pin 5, white/blue to pin 13, with an ignition live on the black wire

3 spade plugs can be ignored, they are unused.

bracket bolts to the top of the rear engine bracket in the mk2, It holds the lambda plug in place. find somewhere handy to bolt it down and slot lambda plug into it :)

thick red/black to pin 50, smaller wire to pin 15a. or the other method is try it both ways, car will only crank on starter with these the right way round ;)

Back to the top

That 3 pin plug goes to the big ECU plug (pic 3 in previous post). Is it possible that I dont have a knock sensor control? Is it still driveble without it?

In picture 1 I have (what it looks to me) a big ground spade. What I can remember it it connected to the back of the fuse box in picture 2. I havet traced it back through the yellow plug harness and ends near the battery - terminal. Maybe main ground for the fuse box?
Witch pin is it suppoused to be connected to?

I havet also found a white plug under the dash (pic 3+4), it looks similar to the instrument main plug but i cant se any more connection points there. Can you reconize it?

Thanks alot for your help! Not much left before I can make a first atempt to start it! :) Fingers crossed.. ;)

Back to the top

Sorry, made a mistake, the wire do end up in the smaler plug in the pictures bellow. Specificly in pin 2 and 3 top row from the left.. 2 wires ends in the same pin according to my multimeter. It it for the knock sensor after all?

Back to the top

I have only one plug left i the engine loom that might be connected to the throttle body but the wire colours does not match but traced the wires 2 of the wires back to the main ECU plug.

Pin 1 and 5 in the top row from the right and finally pin 3 in the lower row from the left.

Back to the top
large red wire is main LIVE for fusebox, red = live, brown = earth 99.99999% in VW harness ;) It plugs into the larger P spade next to the other fat red wire you can see in the back of your fusebox picture.

white plug is for handbrake warning light

so yes, that 3 pin shielded plug is for the knock sensor. those 2 pins your multimeter are poked into are 13 & 14. 1 is bottom right of the plug in the 1st pic, 15 is top left

that 3 pin plug is also unused in the PL ecu

in the ECU plug picture there pin 1 is bottom left, pin 25 top right. using that, chase pins 5 and 13 to a 3 pin plug, this is your throttle switch connector. also this may help:
http://www.charlie-ward.co.uk/-car-mk2-golf/FU03/ch4.6.html

Back to the top

Thanks alot! So helpful! :). I will follow the pins according to your discription and se what plug Ill end up to in the goal of finding my lost throttle body plug.. ;)

In what position should the knock sensor be bolted down? As I understand it should be a threaded boss in the area around the crank case breather in the front of the engine?

Back to the top

Back to the top

Sorry, it was in the link you sent before.. thanks again :)

Back to the top
its a different page but yep, same manual. its the mk2 golf bentley, very handy for troubleshooting as long as your engine is US spec :)

Back to the top

Pin number 5 is empty? I tried number 6 but that leads to a 2 pin plug (lambda sensor?) In Pic. 2.

I think I found the correct plug!!! Pin 13 (pic. 3) traced back to the middle pin i the black 3 pin plug in pic 4. The other wires in the 3pin plug goes to pin 1 and 9 in the ECU plug.

Back to the top

This double male spade plug traced back to pin 8 & 20 in the ECU plug. Are they needed?

Back to the top
the empty pin in the bottom row is pin 9, and you have the test wire in pin 8 in the 1st pic, pic 1 in the 3rd. look at the ecu plug picture again ;)

pin 8 is lambda heater yep. pin 1 in your 3rd pic is ignition live, which is tapped to the black wire on the throttle plug yeah and is the 3 pin you found so you did actually get there anyway :lol:

the wires on that 2 pin spade would actually be to ecu pin 20 and pin 6, pin 6 is also tapped to pin 16. Both of these pins are for the AC system so unless you have that ignore :)

Back to the top

Haha, Im sorry. I guess the fact that Im new to this shines through quite alot :D. But I was lucky to find the correct plug anyway!

Thanks for your patience and support!  :)

Back to the top
not a problem :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.