Skip navigation

Golf GLS 5dr 1977 automatic in L62A Bali Green for sale.

Back to the top

Read this long post and tell me honestly what you think.

I'd rather spend 12k on a gti that you could actually drive and not obsess over because it's too clean. 

This has too many doors, and is an auto.. I can't see anyone hiring a green golf for a wedding vehicle either, i'm struggling to see how it'd make you any money, beside the appreciation, if any, as it's pretty expensive already.

Back to the top
Beautiful car and looks like a painstaking resto. 

The one thing that bugs me is the wheel weight on the outer rim - could they not have tapped them onto the inside so it doesn't damage the paint and ruin the look of the wheel? Unless they were like that from the factory?! 

Echoing others, £12k seems like a lot for a 5dr auto, but if your wedding hire business is viable then it will be earning its keep. 

I suppose you just have to ask yourself how much would you miss your Cabriolet, and would it be a worthy replacement for you? If the answer's yes, then I say go for it - no regrets! 

Back to the top
AntF

Morning and thanks for giving me your honest thoughts on this car.

As you can probably guess I don't need to sell it to myself so good honest opinions are what I like warts and all but you made three main points that I'd like to go over.

Firstly is the wheel weights.
I don't know if you've ever done your own on the balance machine but you balance them when needed on both sides depending on where they are out.

So you could have the following combinations.

In but not out
Out but not in
In only
Out only
Both
None

It just simply depends.
A mate of mine owns his own tyre depot and he sells about 600 new sets per year. He does all mine and I'm there next week to change my winter wheels and tyres for the summer set.
He charges £40 to store the spare set and to balance and change the wheels each time.

So my wheels both alloy on the Mk6 are rebalanced every 6 months and the weights and placement do vary almost every time but he is a bit of a perfectionist.

So if you need weights on the outer then that's what you get for steel wheels. Alloys get sticky ones.

Now your comment, "Echoing others, £12k seems like a lot for a 5dr auto, but if your wedding hire business is viable then it will be earning its keep."

Is £12,000 a lot?
Well that money I can get a slightly above average GTI I'll give you that but that's all your going to get for 12 grand in the GTI market! ;)

As I think Richard Hall said who's opinion like yours on others I respect a great deal but as someone said you can't get one professionally restored for that price in the UK nor can you in Austria or Germany come to that. But Hungary is still cheaper for work at the moment.

I've known people who go to Hungary for dental work.
They have for example a 10 day all inclusive holiday with the dental care and treatment done in the package and they still save 50% on what it would cost for just the dental work in Austria. ;)

Yes I would miss my Cabrio because he is one of the best in Austria at the moment, he's been with me throughout from 2012 the great times and last year the not so great with my health but this would be a worthy replacement.

But It's a 6 year project and it's me putting my money where my mouth is. I believe like we all witnessed in the run up to the 40th annerversary a large price hike which interestingly stayed post that period in the coming years. I do have documentation for proof that it happened.

50 however is in 5 1/2 years time and I'm willing to gamble 12 grand it will happen again and be even bigger this time.

Can you imagine the media coverage this time with the big 50!
Even with 40 I'd noticed and said it here that even the prices of parts had jumped up in price.

So betting my life saving that this if I were to pay the full price but I'm stating that if I keep that car looking as good at 50 as it does today I will get £20,000 back or extremely close to it! ;)

Anyone fancy a bet?

I could leave it in the bank which earns me about 1% (£12) before tax.

If I advertise in the right places and I still have some contacts in the TV/Radio and Media even here in Austria because I used to be a professional Cameraman and vision/audi/graphics engineer.
My wife's nephew runs a very successful little film and video production company so I've got some help there. ;)

If I can do over the next few years 5 or 6 paying events per year to cover my annual costs for the car then I'm quids in.
The car is certified 'Concourse' and to 'Museum Standard'.
Well that's how I see it at the moment.

It first appeared for sale on Friday but as it's in Hungary it might put off some off. But it really is not far from me as the border is only 45 minutes from my house, the drive is 100 kilometers.
Still need to get my wife fully behind the idea although she not said no far from it but I'd like to bring my 20 year old son into it because if I own it and something God forbid happened to me I need to know he understands what to do with it. ;)

Well that's more than enough from me but please do comment because I do seriously value all your opinions! :thumbs:

Mike
Sent from my exhausted Smartphone! ;)

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Morning Mike,

Nice to retire early, shame about the reasons though. Hopefully you'll only improve over time. God willing.

Anyhoo.

The car. As we all know I don't do standard usually with Golfs. But that's 'cos I enjoy the mods and working on them rather than driving them. However I do also own the Derby which some have seen. It was a one owner from new with 42k on the clock and as standard as it's possible to get. Right down to the original spare wheel and tyre. One of the biggest problems with a restored or original car is that it needs to be perfect. And I do mean perfect. If it's being judged it's being judged against perfect or museum quality cars. I'm no expert on early Golfs but perhaps someone can confirm if it's supposed to have a CL splitter on a GLS?
Also the side trim. To me this looks like later spec and not early spec. Especially as it doesn't match the trim on the tailgate. Again I'm unsure on this detail but to me it doesn't look correct.
I'd also be a little concerned about the engine and block finish. On my screen they look like they've been blasted. If this is the case, unless theuy have been sealed, if it gets damp at all you will begin to seen alloy corrosion forming on them which soon looks ugly. A bit hard to tell admittedly. When you go to see it ask the question though.
The correct rear bumper finishing strip has been used which are extremely difficult to get hold of as the repro's all end flat without the overlap so it's either original or NOS which is good. I also like the fact that as far as I can see the bolts that have been used are either zinc plated, NOS or original.

The colour is awesome as is the interior.

Wheel weight. Hmmmm. Wheels can be statically balanced so there are no weights on the outside but it won't be 'perfect' . I always have my wheels statically balanced (on the non dailies) with knock on weights on the inside edge only as I hate seeing weights and hate sticky weights. But that's a personal thing .

Cost of the car. You know better than anyone the values of these things so I'm not even going to comment except to say it's worth what someone os willing to pay.

Business idea.
Keep the cabby. Use that for weddings.
If you're going to go into the car hire business a fleet or at the very least an alternative option is always useful. Also find out about the legalities of providing cars for weddings (it may be considered a taxi and if so may need an MOT or equivalent every 6 months. You may also need a different licence?)
If you're going to use Green golf as a business then use it as a business. Don't sell the cabby to fund it as then it's not a business asset it's your car.
Be strict with yourself on this! Do not use it for cruising around in. Do not let people borrow it, do not do 'mates rates'. Keep them separate, keep good records of expenses and earnings and make it pay for itself. Personally I'd take a loan to buy it and run the business. even if the 'loan' is from yourself.  Golf Business must pay it's debts to Mike. If it doesn't keep up repayments sell the business and it's assets. But it won't matter as you'll still have the cabby.
The thing is you know if the car will be worth more next year or not so you know how the 'asset' to the business will perform.

Well I've probably rambled on far too long so all I'll add is good luck  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
borednow

Hi Ian and wow you've made some really great points there my friend and keeping the two had never entered my mind! ;)

I'm going to have to go away and rethink my approach to this because I do have an absolute corker of a Cabrio even if Austrians tend to run into it! ;)

I've already been paid for two weddings to use the Cabrio and with that experience of the wedding dress in the back it would be impossible to do it in a GTI I know that. Actually was fairly easy with the passenger seat base pulled fully forward. ;)

With the GLS there would be no joy riding and I need a buy a double axle trailer for it. Firstly I need to study weights of the mk1, Mk6 and a trailer to see if I'm within the limits because the Austrians are very strict on that stuff.

But I do like the idea in principle mate! :thumbs:

Sent from my exhausted Smartphone! :)

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
Glad I (possibly) helped a bit.

Towing is a bit of a nightmare. even in the UK.

I've towed lots of things with lots of things.

Took my mates Kit car up for it's SVA test to the DVLA only to be told that my Hilux puling his 900kg car on a 450kg trailer was illegal!
Turned out the plate on the trailer said 3500kg and my truck was only rated for 2500kg towing limit.
Although I wasn't over my limit, the plate on the trailer said I could be! As such illegal!

The chap from the DVLA said it won't matter though as usually the police don't know what they are looking at and as the set up 'looked' ok I wouldn't get pulled by any one who would know what  they were looking at anyway  O_o

Do lots of research! Make sure the trailer is only what you need and not 'overplated' for you r car first off!

I always tend to work on 85% of my cars weight for towing.

Except when I towed my V8 Rover P6 with a Mondeo estate!  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
borednow

Cheers Ian, I'll bear all of that in mind when I'm doing the calculations.

But at the moment I'm focusing on making contact with the seller.
I've just tried to call him but it went automatically to the voice mail.

So I left a message in German and then in English.
You will find Hungarians 2nd language will be German or English, go figure! ;)

Because he didn't answer can only mean two things, it's already sold or he's having a Sunday afternoon sleepy which is normal in this part of the world at weekends! ;)

When I know more so will all of you but do please keep your comments coming because it's a massive learning curve even for me. So help, opinions and advice that you all offer has to be of great value in a situation like this one! :thumbs:

Mike
And one very exhausted Smartphone! ;)

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

Just a thought. Could you get a not do pretty gti (more desirable for events etc). And get the Hungarians to do a bottoms up restore of it for your 12k???

You can then have what you want? If you really want to have a show car you can specify the full works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
My only advice is don't just buy it because its close. Difficult to tell how good it is from photos but it looks OK. Quite a niche car for weddings etc. and maybe not every brides cup of tea.

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Just a thought. Could you get a not do pretty gti (more desirable for events etc). And get the Hungarians to do a bottoms up restore of it for your 12k???

You can then have what you want? If you really want to have a show car you can specify the full works.

Backinblack

That is a fair comment but I think we Mk1 owners are totally fixated on the GTI with good reason mind because it is in most cases the pinnacle of the Golf.

But totally in practical as any 3 door car will be for weddings except when it's owned by the bride or groom.
I've used my Cabby with the top down which is a big benefit over a short ride at a slow pace.

But I'm thinking outside the box for this car.
Use it for events maybe one or two product launches and a couple of weddings a year.

Just to pay for its maintenance, insurance and storage.
Then as the Golf ticks towards the big 50 offer it up for sale and then sit back like a fisherman and wait for the bits like the ex fisherman and car salesman I am! ;)

But as I said yesterday I left a message on the guys phone but I've heard nothing.
So I'll try again early evening and if I get the same response then the chance is someone has beaten me to it.

If I had to hazard a guess the next time it turns up will be in Germany. Because most Mk1's sold in this part of Europe end up in Germany! :(

Mike
Sent from my Smartphone

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

Yomp said

My only advice is don't just buy it because its close. Difficult to tell how good it is from photos but it looks OK. Quite a niche car for weddings etc. and maybe not every brides cup of tea.

Yomp

Hi Graham
Absolutely my friend.

I think if you read my post above it might answer some or all of your questions.

Now my wife for a change is fully behind me doing something not necessarily this way.
So if the car is sold then what I might do is spend that money on starting a business buying Mk1's. Getting them up together in simple terms and moving them on.

Maybe owning two Mk1's at a time plus my Cabrio, buying and selling some parts on the internet that I have bought from different sources.

Let's say I invest 10k in the company.
As I'm classified 'Fully Disabled' the government will match that with an interest free loan over the next 10 years for example.

So as you can see I've a lot of different possibilities so all I have to do which is something I've tried to do all my working life and that is.

Work smart, not hard! :thumbs:

Not that I expect something for nothing because it's never happened and never will. ;)

Mike
Sent from my Smartphone

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

Agreed 3 doors and a meringue dress do not work well together.

It’s the fixation with the mechanicals all looking like they have just been made that attracts us I think.

I must admit I prefer your cabby to this though simply because you can use a t every day without fear or regret.

If you miss out on it don’t be too disappointed you have a great car to enjoy and can still do events with its quality.

On a side note there is a person local to me that hires out period cars (mostly police cars) for films and he tells me that it is a rare requirement and little money in it.

Good luck and I am sure the sofa won’t come calling too soon as your knowledge is always in demand on here anyway

Back to the top
Backinblack

Yes I always say if it's not meant to be then it won't and I've never tried to kid myself because of being a professional car salesman and knowing for a fact that there is only one bigger liar than a car salesman and that's the owner of a p/x! ;)

I even lost a sale of a GTI for £5.00 no joke go figure!
The dumb a hole didn't listen or read my quote properly..
Yes I was £5.00 more expensive but for that he had a full tank of fuel.

Nothing nicer than being handed the keys to your new pride and joy and being shown as a valued customer we have graciously filled your tank full of petrol! ;)

Oh the good old days. :)

Sent from my Smartphone

Mike
Sent from my Smartphone

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
I haven't fully read through everyone's responses but do you have a garage to store it in?  Only asking as your cab was hit a few times.

From anow investment point, over the next 5 years what would you realistically expect to earn from it as a wedding hire car?
Would this amount be higher than the appreciation on a 12k hardtop gti? (I doubt that a 2 door would be any good as a wedding car)

It looks a lovely car but Its going to be a bit niche when you come to sell as opposed to a gti that every man and his dog seems to be in the market for .

Back to the top
If you can afford it and you want it, then buy it Mike - life is too short.
A fit and healthy friend at one of my locals went to bed aged thirty about a month ago, he just never woke up :-(

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

A fit and healthy friend at one of my locals went to bed aged thirty about a month ago, he just never woke up :-(

lhasadreams

Oh Ade sorry to hear about that my friend and to be honest in recent years I experienced to many of those.

Only last new years eve a good friend of mine left the pub just after midnight and went home.

When he failed to answer his phone on the first his mate went round to his house and the front door was open.
There he was laying in the hallway with the door key in his hand stone dead at 49!

Heart failure.

Update.
As for the car, well I tried to call again yesterday mid morning and still got the voice mail.
So my guess is that he's had so many phone calls that he's just whiched it over to the mailbox.

I can only buy if someone wants to sell.
But I do take on board all your comments and yes I do have a cracking Cabby I'm pleased to say.

I do have two garages now.
My Mk1 is parked in a secure underground car park 75 yards from my front door and the garage door is operated by remote which I have. That's pretty cool because I can take it out and put it back anytime I want to. Costs me £30 per month which is pretty cheap! ;)

The second garage is a mile from home at a very good friends house. It's a good size so I can work around a Mk1 for example and it's free! ;)

Whatever happens with this Mk1 I will be owning a second one before not to long.

Idle hands… and all that! :thumbs:

Sent from my Smartphone

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
Hi Mike,
Sorry for the late reply (and I've still not replied on GAP 😟) but I will give my little bit of input.
When I first saw the car and the price my initial reaction was going to be "BUY IT!"
Then, looking at all of the wonderful responses on here, I thought about it a little.
My response now would be "BUY IT!" 🤣
Over the years I have realised that it is possible to over analyse things but if you're spending big bucks then you should approach with caution. The only thing I would do with this car is go have a look, pictures lie, if the paintwork is good and it drives nice then why shouldn't you own this car?
I think that anyone having a wedding in your new Mk1 wouldn't be looking at the bumpers to see if they were correct or the interior to make sure it's the correct type. They would book your car because they love the look of a classic on their wedding photographs. What better way to look good on your big day than to be sitting in or on a nice green Mk1?
You know what to look at and you know a good car so go with your instincts mate. You'll do the right thing.
Also remember that not everyone that will be getting into your new pride and joy will treat it with the respect it deserves. They might stand on the sills or scratch the headliner with their tiarra.
As for Schrat, he is a keeper in my eyes. If not for nice rides out in the great Austrian summer then a nice little toy for your lad.
Hope I've helped (sorry if I didn't 😁)
Cheers, Britney. 👍

Goly The Golf, a 1983 5dr 1.3cl having a full resto.
Cherub, a 1985 Mk2 Polo Breadvan.
1995 Rover Mini Sprite (wife's daily)

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Go, ahead Mike BUY IT, You know you want to, what are you waiting for the price to go up?

Ihasa,  sorry about your friend…
Happened to my Grandfather, got a clean bill of health, pronounced fit as a fiddle in the afternoon by his Doctor, and Died in the middle of the night.

Me I am living on borrowed time, 41 had a stroke on my Brothers Birthday, 6months later to the day which was my oldest daughters sweet 16th Birthday 2 stents in my heart,(which I am reminded every year that I ruined her Birthday),  now going on  20 years and 7 more stents later, I have Cancer…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Christ! Save a lot of money and buy mine for a lot less! 😆
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.