Skip navigation

Borednows Garage Build

Back to the top

Complete new build! Could get interesting!

Cheers chaps,

Hopefully done before this winter.

Then fix Mynx, then Clive then possibly a certain rusty cabby might end possibly end up here for a bit (eh Blah blah )

Then sort the Derby then who knows?………..

I sort of have a bit of a plan for some sort of 40s or 50s car with a different engine erm, maybe

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Chippie came round and was impressed  :thumbs:

So threw on a few roof beams…..

IMG_20190720_190211.jpg

Slowly slowly catchy monkey…..

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Christ this is going to be the man-catacombs let alone man-cave!  :lol:

Back to the top
Bit more…..

IMG_20190820_101757.jpg IMG_20190820_101804.jpg

Outside boarded, just rest of flat roof and pitch roof end to beam out then cover  O_o

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Bit more

4E41DBE.jpg AFD36A7.jpg C8F1507C.jpg

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
is it just the camera or does it look like the wall are leaning in, in the last picture  O_o  O_o  O_o

Back to the top

Borednows Garage Build

Great work Ian, some progress you must be chuffed? It won’t be long now and your finished then you’ll be living the dream. Well done fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Hows it going Ian, must be done by now  ;)

Back to the top
Rich.  Erm no. Not finished yet, unfortunately.  :'(

'Cos it's so big everything takes ages!

However progress has been made.

IMG_20191215_103138.jpg

First off had the roofers in to complete the slating of the roof of the pitchy bit. Don't know how to do this sort of thing and I didn't want to fall into the garage and kill myself so the experts did this bit, they also rendered the front wall and added all the weatherboards and gutting etc for the front section.  :thumbs:  

Whilst they were here they also got on the main roof of the house (a very long way up!) and replaced all the hip tiles with lead as I'd had a leak in the main roof for a couple of years. Lucily it also appears that this leak also accounted for the water running through the ceiling in the downstairs extension!!! Glad that finally got done :P  
Annoyingly I'd had about 3 roofing companies come round to give me a quote on doing these works to the hip in the past few years but no-one ever came back with a quote. Before the garage was built access was a bit more difficult  :lol:

After 13 years of being in the house I also, finally, painted the outside of the house too. Tidied everything up a bit and hopefully gives it a bit more protection for a few years.

I must be a proper grown up too now as I had to buy a very large ladder (complete with stabilser bar, don't ya know) to get up to some of the higher bits. Also sorted out the gutters and re-painted most of the weather boards along the side before the roofs went on. I've decided I don't like heights  :ninja:  :o  :lol:

Anyhoo.

After that came the rubber roof for the flat roof bit. Lets just say it came in a very big roll that was very, very heavy! 9x3 timbers were used to create a ramp from the grass upto the roof and the roll was pulled up these to get to the roof. It tpk 3 of pulling up a 35 degree slope!!. The of course came the unrolling (the wrong way to start with  :lol:  ) then turnign it around, then pulling it out followed by getting it into the right place. Due to the shape of the flat roof the most critical length was from diagonal corners, which meant trying to move the entire sheet about. Nightmare!! Of course the 3 roof lights didn't help.

IMG_20191215_104751.jpg IMG_20191215_104758.jpg IMG_20191215_104807.jpg IMG_20191215_104846.jpg IMG_20191215_104850.jpg IMG_20191215_104910.jpg

Then it leaked at a junction of one of the rooflights, but I managed to fix that. Yay.

It seems to be quite a good system. It's more expensive than fibre glass for the materials but we managed to lay it, glue it, fix the 3 roof lights (including cutting the holes in the roof) and fit all the trims in one day. So cost of install was a lot cheaper than cost of install of fibre glass. Guaranteed for 25 yrs with an expectant life of 50.

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
After that came in the install of the garage doors (one each end). Roller shutter at the front and up and over at the rear, followed by the windows.

Of course we're now fighting lack of light and it's been raining here pretty constantly since the end of September.

IMG_20191215_102831.jpg

Decided to add a window to the rear wall of the pitchy bit to add a bit more light. I actually had to buy this one! £20 for a 15oomm by 500mm window. Not a usual size

IMG_20191215_102927.jpg

The it was the person door and the rest of the windows

IMG_20191215_102850.jpg

Currently I'm trying to get the cladding done bit by bit, painting the block walls inside and lining and painting the timber structure. Of course all the bits of materials for the other jobs are all in the way of the job I'll be trying to do. I think I need a bigger garage!  :lol:

IMG_20191215_102940.jpg IMG_20191215_102946.jpg IMG_20191215_103001.jpg

As some of the original paint was peeling it had been pulled back over the years and a 'ghost' shape was 'found'. It had to stay

IMG_20191215_103024.jpg

During all this we've also had life to deal with of course, Mother in Law was diagnosed with cancer, luckily it was caught in time and a bit of chopping later she's been given the all clear, Daisy Dog passed away and my Wifes also been ill. Probably stress related.

So all that's left on the garage is to finish the cladding, complete the lining and painting inside, install some flooring (any thoughts on paint, resin etc greatly appreciated!) and then do all the electrics.

Not much really  O_o   :lol:

Let's hope 2020 is a better year.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year you lot  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
That's looking amazing Ian, not far to go now :)

Love the ghost  :lol:

Have a wonderful Christmas too. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice build !, if it’s floor paint you’re looking for then I’d recommend a 2 pack epoxy, bare concrete will need sealing first, let it  dry then hit it with 2 coats of the epoxy in your choice of colour, top tip though is you get about 45mins to get it down with a roller before it starts to cure and turn to toffee, I’ve done 2 floors with this stuff, super hard wearing.
👍

Back to the top
hubbadubba  Got a link mate ? I've heard the stuff you're on about is the best way to go but I seem to be finding loads of stuff out there with massive variances in prices. I'd hate to buy something cheap and then find out a but more cost was needed due to it being rubbish!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So, depsite the rain and the cold I've been busy beavering away.

I've had a small leak near the pedestrian door for a while and whilst trying to pin down where it was coming from I made it worse  :'(

IMG_20200122_113648.jpg

IMG_20200122_113656.jpg

This is concrete still drying out. After a good bit of searching I found the culprit, a hole in the wall under the door, where it joins the original house.

IMG_20200122_113710.jpg

I know it sounds odd but it was really hard to pin point as this area had the membrane in the way and a bit of muck kinda plugging the hole. After a bit of picking it turns out that when I 'fixed' the leak by changing the folds in the membranes and DPC's around and glueing in new sections I'd stopped the water coming through a long length and wall and had pushed it to this corner. As such it was streaming out. It was coming from the front face of the DPC laid under the blocks on the concrete floor. Then, due to this hole, it was streaming into the garage.

So concrete installed into the channel/gap between the original footpath and the new build needed to be filled in. Pain in the neck to say the least! I also needed it to run the opposite way to the path as the path runs from the garden to the pedestrian door of the garage. Anyhoo. All done. Just gotta wait for some rain to see it I've fixed it…….

IMG_20200122_113542.jpg

IMG_20200122_113546.jpg

And a bit of sculpting to make a channel to run away from the door hopefully…….

IMG_20200122_113558.jpg

Talking of doors, painted the outside of the up and over and the concrete surround etc as we finally had some sun!

IMG_20200122_113605.jpg

IMG_20200122_113611.jpg

Finished lining with OSB and all primer coats now complete! Window surrounds all done and edging beads installed for a smoother transition from wall to window

IMG_20200122_113640.jpg IMG_20200122_113738.jpg IMG_20200122_113757.jpg

Few odd bits of ling left to do, including the surrounds to the inside of the doors.

Then ceiling, flooring, lights and electrical! Not much  :'(  :lol:

Wish me luck

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
It's a thing of dreams :lol:

Plenty of room for a bar, big tv and 3 piece sofa!

How are you going to heat such a large area when working in the winter?

Back to the top

Rich. said

It's a thing of dreams :lol:

Plenty of room for a bar, big tv and 3 piece sofa!

How are you going to heat such a large area when working in the winter?

Machine mart had/ has sale on oil burners , with 10 litre tank 20 to 40k btu  that would keep space toasty..  the Chinese are doing 8kv oil burner for camper Van's for 110£ they are pretty much self contained and with a manifold you could direct heat to work area .. at that price it maybe possible to use filtered engine oil but not sure…

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

borednow said

hubbadubba  Got a link mate ? I've heard the stuff you're on about is the best way to go but I seem to be finding loads of stuff out there with massive variances in prices. I'd hate to buy something cheap and then find out a but more cost was needed due to it being rubbish!

Ian
Product Range mobile

Give these guys a ring, that's the stuff I used,  explain what you have and they will advise the product for you and the prep required, like I said you'll need to seal the fresh surface first, this isn't cheap floor paint it's what they use for factory floors, good stuff, and if you have a nice flat screed it'll be like an F1 pit bay when it's done, this is mine DD40A273-25C9-4057-BE24-4F6CAE674748.jpeg
It's a tamped concrete finish so not as smooth but that's how it was when we moved here

Back to the top
It was the 2 pack Epoxy I used, not the single pack Polyurethane they also sell 👍

Back to the top
Rich.  Yup it's a thing of dreams, although it should have been bigger! Unfortunately due to rules about proximity to boundaries and the fact that my next door neighbour is a commercial garage i had to do the block wall which lost me about 10" and I had to stay away from the boundary due to it being a Cornish Hedge which is triangular in cross section. This means that although I'm over 2 metres away from the top of the hedge I'm 'brushing' the foundations of his wall. Plus he's not a particularly nice person.
If I just drove in and parked I reckon I could get 5 or 6 golfs in it. But what's unfortunate is the width. I can't pass 2 cars anywhere except at the very back. I was hoping I would be able to pass 2 cars at 2 car depths from the back wall, but I'm about 6 inches too narrow  :dry: which is quite annoying!!

But yes it's big  :lol: Kenneth Cartwright  thanks for the info. Luckily as I'm in Cornwall it's unusual for us to get very cold down here. Frost is even very unlikely so it's not too cold. Luckily one of my Brother in Laws bought be a gas heater that kicks out 51,000 BTU's an hour!!!! Plus its only about a foot long so storage of it ain't a problem either. Summat like this MODERN LIFE 15kW/51,000BTU Gas Space Heater Heavy Duty Industrial LPG Propane Gas Electric Assisted Fan Heater for Workshop Warehouse Garage Shed Farm : Amazon.co.uk: Garden

Although that being said I still haven't got the roof fully sealed yet as at the back and along the 'wooden' side the soffits still aren't in. Even with this massive gap and air being able to get in it's still not cold in there. I'm fine in a shirt and jacket. Even the floors not that cold. When moving about and doing cutting and painting I every often end up in just a shirt!

hubbadubba

Ta for the link mate. Nice to have a happy customer reference.
I realise it's going to need sealing. I think I may do a bit of grinding to first. It's pretty good but there are a could of areas that aren't perfect.

BTW where's the build thread for the 'rocco? Love the mk1's!

Thanks for the advice, comments and the luurrrve chaps.  :thumbs:Oh well out to do a bit more then………

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Is that gas heater bad for condensation, and is it a fixed output or can it be turned down once the garage has hit a workable temperature?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.