Skip navigation

84 gti K Jet

Back to the top

Not running properly

its the size of the threads that differ so you would need to compare one when you take it off the fuel line

Back to the top
Thanks again .will check that  when i can get to the garage  down the garden .too cold at moment minus 5  right now

Back to the top
Do you have a rubber hose going to the back of the head between cylinders 3 and 4?
If so you have air shroud injectors, the injectors with out the top hats are non air shroud injectors, you can fit non air shroud injectors but you need to block of the air hose between cylinders 3 and 4.

I'm surprised if you do have the later air shroud injectors, has the engine been changed at some point? I could be wrong and 84 cars did have the later injectors….

View topic: Are these suitable O Rings for my injectors? - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I had an 83 a reg cabby that had the pipe on the cylinder head but cant remember it having the hats on the injectors though. Although not sure what was original to the car

Back to the top
Thanks for the feedback .I will check all that and let you know ,the car is on q plates and i think it is an 84 i do not know what injectors used to be on it before the 30 years i have the vehicle but  these top hat ones have been on since

Back to the top
mark1gls I checked between 3 and 4 and i do have the hose do i block off both ends  

Back to the top
With the injectors… i can't say 100% they are correct, most probably are perhaps rubjonny or Briano1234 can confirm this? thanks..

also, is your engine a 1.6 or 1.8?

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/049133551a.html

Last edit: by Deandubya

Back to the top
Im having the Same issue with my 86 GTI Cab, anyone know anyone around cheshire to give it a tune?

Back to the top
Thanks deandubya .its a 1.8 and that is the part number i ordered but they sent me 0437502023 i got in touch with parts-in-motion and they said these ones are compatable for  mk.1 Have you ever tried taking the air shroud off and putting on non shroud injectors

Last edit: by handiman42

Back to the top
The non shroud injectors will fit but you may have a problem with the thread on the end as they are usally the course thread and air shroud are fine thread so you have to change your fuel lines to use the course thread injectors.

Best if you can pull out and injector and undo it from the fuel line and check the thread of old injector to new injector.

If they are the same thread block off the rubber hose between 3 and 4 as you will have an air leak in the head and fit the new injectors.

If the threads are different then either replace all 4 fuel lines for early fuel line or change injectors for air shroud type.

Pictures of different threads,
Non shroud with 4 threads
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-CABRIOLET-SCIROCCO-STORM-FUEL-INJECTOR-VALVE-BOSCH-049133551A-A888/191630779767

Air shroud with 5 threads.
http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_11_790_791&products_id=642

Some more info from older threads..
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=big-block-injection_2%2Fadvice-on-injectors

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=big-block-injection_2%2Finjector-hose

Google for more info.  :thumbs:

New air shroud injectors on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Mk1-1-8-Petrol-Fuel-Injector-82-to-83-DX-Nozzle-Valve-Bosch-049133551A/232409894876?epid=1141735501&hash=item361cb58fdc:g:JhwAAOSwpHFZaVXL

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks mark1gls I have tried injectors and the threads are the same .Do I  block off the head and the pipe i take off

Back to the top
I would leave the rubber hose on the head and plug the other end. I guess you will need to also plug the outlet on the other end as there may be an air leak, maybe run the engine and have a feel?

I've not done this but read it on here.

Back to the top
Thanks i will try this and let you know ( cant get to the garage at the moment .snowed in

Back to the top
Hi mark thanks for your past comments,I have fitted
 new injectors /new fuel filter /new lift pump / new fuel pump relay / motor still doing exactly the same .ie. having to tickle the throttle for a few minutes.to get it to tic over at around 900 revs, then the motor runs ok. for about 10 minutes then starts missing and back firing into the air chamber I have removed the pipe between 3 and 4 ( because they are non air shroud injectors) and blocked up both ends , but the motor does not run any differently either way Shoud it….Regards Dave

Back to the top
Hello Mark sorry im at it again. Do you think the coil could be the cause of my problems. Its been on the car for over 30 years  don,t really know how you would test the coil without proper test equipment Regards Dave  Also I have looked at the Haynes manual regards testing the coil ,but it does not give you much info for the layman Thanks again Dave 

Last edit: by handiman42

Back to the top
hello again Mark I am still having the same problems and after changing/checking digging around ,aimlessly  am still nowhere near to getting the problem solved I think I really need a mechanic that knows all about K Jectronic systems any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks  Dave W.

Back to the top
Sorry to hear you are still having problems, you may need someone to look at it as the fuel system may need pressure testing or the warm up regulator (WUR) needs cleaning out, hall sender or coil needs checking but I don't know how to do these things as I've never needed to fix or adjust these things on my car.

The mixture may also be out???

Sorry I can't be any help with recommending anyone one…   :(

Back to the top
I have the same problem, almost 3 years i am trying to figure out whats wrong with this k-jet system. and "i am still nowhere near to getting the problem solved" :)after i read this post i am also finded plastic pipe between 4 and 5 injectors. Its better when i am blinding it, it makes effect for idling.  thumbnail.jpg

Back to the top
Thanks for replying Mark. I will just have to keep checking and changing bits and hope i will be able to find the problem. I do not think it will be a major problem, because it starts ,no problem,runs fine for 15 mins then starts playing up. Anyway thanks again for replying. Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
Whats going on after 15 min?  Probably you are staying with cold side parameters when engine reaches operating temp. When you starting cold engine it runs with cold side parameters (rich fuel mixture). When engine reaching operating temp it changes to warm side parameters (to correct air-fuel mixture).
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.