Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Very nice!

140ish bhp then! and 120mph!!!!!

Nice.

Loud was it?  :lol:Ian

Sounded great! 142bhp with that setup.
I've made some steps forward since then, luckily the motor is still surviving.

At the moment I have new Weber 45 (152G "5 hole") installed. I should have the jetting finalized this week. There's definitely more power under the curve, maybe not peak but who knows. The timing has been tweaked a little more as well. If the weather holds I should get a test drive in tomorrow and see where I'm at. I may try to get back to the same dyno in the next couple of weeks. I'm still really happy about this little motor, so much that I may build the new one as a 1.4 instead of the planned 1.6…

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
So the Weber 45s have been on for a bit and they're all setup. I'm going to try to get it on the dyno again next weekend. In the meantime I've (slowly) started the new motor assembly. The plan is to stay a 1390cc and spin it harder. I got a set of valve springs and retainers from Cat Cams installed tonight. I should have some ARP rod bolts late next week… More to follow. DSC_2497.JPG DSC_2495.JPG DSC_2493.JPG

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
Also got some seats over the holidays…
DSC_2464.JPG

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top

Nice seats! How did you go mounting them into a Mk1?

Did you use the existing bases or did you have to modify the standard bases?

Keep at it… we're watching closely  :thumbs:

Back to the top

ConvictGTI-No.1983EW said

Nice seats! How did you go mounting them into a Mk1?

Did you use the existing bases or did you have to modify the standard bases?

Keep at it… we're watching closely  :thumbs:

The seats are on aftermarket bases. It's a combination of König and Recaro bits.

Here's the latest video link, short outing today, getting ready for the next dyno runs next week.

VW Golf mk1 1.4 16V AFH conversion - YouTube

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
Nice!  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well, I was back at the dyno about half way into the first run when the #3 piston rings decided they weren't going to stay together… So the car is all apart at the moment. I just completed the C notch on the right side so I won't be dragging the driveshaft on the body anymore. I also need a new right front wing, the bottom mount is rusted away. That had started to spread to the body. I'll get that taken care of shortly. Then move to the back for the standard rusted spots. I have all new coilovers, bushings, steering rack, complete brakes front and rear (upgrading to 16V Scirocco up front) and complete cooling system to install as well. Just about to order all the glass, seals and felts, headliner, new trim and a few odds and ends. Hopefully paint before the end of the year. I have another used AFH motor on the way so I can get the dyno run and final tuning done before the new motor is built. I also need to sell some stuff the fund a decent set of pistons, which are most definitely the weakest link in the AFH motor. I'll try to put up some pics later.

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
That's not too good then!

Oh well an excuse to build another engine  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So… through the winter I've been able to put the (3rd) motor in and get it running. This time I'm trying out an old mk2 distributor. After a bit of fiddling I've been able to get the vacuum advance to work with the Weber carbs. This setup is just to map the timing before I install a TPS and update the ignition map to give me a load based timing map. Most of the car has been replaced or upgraded at this point. A new radiator from a VW Santana with a Misimoto 11 inch fan, new steering rack, with poly bushes, new tie rods, boots and ends, New from bearings installed in Scirooco 16V hubs with 256mm brakes, new braided brake lines up front, soft lines to the rear beam, new rear drums, bearings and cylinders, new rear beam bushes (OEM rubber), poly bushes for the front control arms. You don't really want poly rear beam bushes becauses it stops the rear beam from changing the toe as you corner and can cause the front end to push in corners…

I need to weld a patch in the left side rocker panel and get the front end aligned before I can get back on the road. Hopefully this will be done in the next month and then it's back to the dyno to try it again…

The only other issue is the brake master cylinder is a bit to small for the new Girling 54 front calipers, I'm running a new 20 mm and it's just not enough. I've found a 22 mm from an older Audi that should got in with the 9 inch booster off a Scirocco without changing the hard brake line routing. I just have to wire up a brake light switch on the pedal since the Audi master cylinder doesn't have extra ports for the pressure sensors. 

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
Here's a few pics of one of the repairs. The wing got replaced due to the bottom being rusted out.

DSC_2789.JPG

DSC_2793.JPG

IMG-20190717-WA0008.jpeg

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
Like a lot of others, I've had quite a bit of extra time at home… So the Red B@stard has been taken apart and dropped off to finally handle the paint and body work. Beyond the rust I know about there wasn't any major discoveries during disassembly. Some small pockets at the bottom of the rear side window channels smaller than a finger tip, easily delt with. I hope to see it back near the end of June, first week of July. Same color as original but all the chrome window trim will be deleted along with the plastic spats on the rear arches. Those will be replaced with a decal. I have all new glass and seals, headliner, black trim, GTI front spoiler and Ronal rear spoiler to install. Can't wait!
001.jpeg 002.jpeg 003.jpeg @

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
:thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Progress…
I'm really happy how the metal work turned out, almost rust free, just some minor holes in the rear window frames to take care of. WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 17.20.03.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 17.20.04 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 17.20.04.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 17.20.05 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 17.20.05.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 19.56.23.jpeg

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
I decided to change the color as well...

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-16 at 16.55.05.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-16 at 16.55.06.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-17 at 13.11.39.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-17 at 13.11.40 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-17 at 13.11.40.jpeg

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
Progress…
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-18 at 17.00.47 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-18 at 17.00.47.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 16.14.51.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 16.14.52 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 16.14.52.jpeg

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
The color is actually a lot more green in person, more green than it looks gray in photos. WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 19.33.39 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 19.33.39.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 19.33.40 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 19.33.40.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 19.33.41.jpeg

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
WhatsApp Video 2020-06-30 at 19.33.38.mp4

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
Very nice!

It looks silver on my screen but with a slight blue to it as well?

Awesome  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.