Skip navigation

Ex Press Fleet Series 1 GTI LBD295V

Back to the top

Just couldn't say no!

So I put this up on the clubs facebook page earlier in the week but this thread will be where all the work I do to this car will be recorded.

For those not on FB and may not have seen this yet, last month I got offered the chance to buy this Series 1 GTI which is an early RHD 5 speed GTI. Registered on 5th Oct 1979 it would have been given out to the motoring scribblers of the time by VW GB for them to report on for the mags and newspapers of the time.
It was a well featured car back in the day but has been in dry storage for the best part of 20 years. The previous owner, a well respected journalist who recently passed away, bought it direct off the VW press office so I will only be the third owner. I thought I wasn't going to get it as it had been offered back to VW to begin as a possible addition to their heritage fleet but VW eventually declined due to budgetary constraints.
The car isn't too bad but does need pulling apart and rebuilding to help preserve it. It had a quick paint job at some point in its life which needs to come off.
It still carries its original radio and front wings but has had its tailgate and bonnet replaced at some point.
I've put a time scale on it of 12 months but we'll have to see. I wasn't really looking for another project but you just can't turn down something like this!!
Pictures:

IMG_6787.JPG IMG_6788.JPG IMG_6789.JPG IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6794.JPG IMG_6795.JPG IMG_6796.JPG IMG_6798.JPG

Back to the top

Looks like a solid little slice of history. Get stuck in ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
Absolutely fantastic mate, you've got to be chuffed to bits and some. ☺️

That car just took a few hours to build, but it changed the way car owners think both then and now.

And you have been chosen to bring it back to life for generations to come.

Does it really get any better than this! 🤔
Don't think so my friend. 👍

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Wow, you lucky, lucky man Graham!!  :cool:

You must feel rather privileged to have this in the stable?

Does it run or have you not got that far with it yet?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
thanks for the positive comments guys.
It does feel a privilege to own I must admit. 
It doesn't run and I won't even bother trying to before pulling it apart.  The fuel system is not worth risking unless I know it's spotlessly clean. 
I'm going to try and get it done in 12 months.
I've had a good poke around it now and it's remarkably solid for an S1 although it does need some attention but it's certainly not a net curtain!

Back to the top
Thats an awesome find mate!

How come it was parked up for so long??/

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
I don't honestly know why it was laid up. Maybe that will become apparent once stripped. It's done 122k so is quite tired. The previous owner had many other cars so I guess he bought another but rather than let it go he just laid this up knowing what an important car it was. It looks like he'd tried to start to recommission it at some point as the fuel pump was hanging off.

Back to the top
Wow, what a find! Not very likely to get another opportunity like that so I don't blame you for not saying no!
Good luck with the restoration and this is one I definitely want to see.

Back to the top
The last i saw of this car was in the Golf+ magazine  April 97…..it was a mk1 based issue and i was also featured in the same issue with a Campaign i used to own(hence why i remember!). Its a full feature and tells the story of Brian Labans ownership…..apparently the magazine he worked for couldn't run to the budget of him having one as a company car so he bought it himself as he wanted one so badly!! 
Glad its going to be 'properly' saved now, stories like the one attatched to this car only adds to the Mk1 Gti 'story/legend'.
I'd scan some pictures to post if i knew how to do it!!

Back to the top

Adding pictures is easy. Just below the quick reply box there's a button 'Add images.'  Click that and then just browse your computer to find the images, select, click ok, job done!

There's no need to upload them to anywhere like Photobucket any longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yomp wow, what an amazing find.  :wub:

So what are the plans then? Smash it to the ground, masive spoiler and some side fins like this?
8e640ba683cc.JPG

:lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Apparently mike.d1979 the front wings are worth more than what I paid for the whole car so I might break it up for spares!  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

mike.d1979 said

Yomp wow, what an amazing find.  :wub:So what are the plans then? Smash it to the ground, masive spoiler and some side fins like this?

:lol: :lol:
I know I'm on a range of prescription drugs but as a purist I rather like that! 😉

Reminder to myself.
Go to the doctors for a massive reduction in my drugs! 🤔👍

Last edit: by Yomp

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
rallye20v  I have the mag. Chris Eyre has kindly sent me a copy.
I never recognised you to begin with. I reckon your skinnier now!
i'll post up some pictures :lol:Its a good read for mk1 owners / potential owners even 20 years on!

Its a great article on mine. Not being able to speak with the original owner it answers a lot of questions as to why the car is the way it is and what to expect to find when I pull it apart.

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6812.JPG IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6814.JPG

Back to the top

Yomp said

Apparently mike.d1979 the front wings are worth more than what I paid for the whole car so I might break it up for spares!  :lol:  :lol:

Brilliant. Can I have the door cards and the parcel shelf? I want to cut massive speaker holes in them  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

I know I'm on a range of prescription drugs but as a purist I rather like that! 😉

Reminder to myself.
Go to the doctors for a massive reduction in my drugs! 🤔👍

I think that it has a certain appeal because its all tatty and in primer, you'd have to paint it in purple with an orange flip in it for it to show it's true beauty.  :lol:

Back to the top

Yomp said

rallye20v  I have the mag. Chris Eyre has kindly sent me a copy.  
I never recognised you to begin with. I reckon your skinnier now!
i'll post up some pictures :lol: Its a good read for mk1 owners / potential owners even 20 years on!

Its a great article on mine. Not being able to speak with the original owner it answers a lot of questions as to why the car is the way it is and what to expect to find when I pull it apart.

IMG_6809.JPG

Gareth, youve not aged a bit!

IMG_6810.JPG IMG_6811.JPG IMG_6812.JPG IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6814.JPG

Ha,ha not aged one bit….and skinnier……..that's what 20years of messing with VW's does for you!
Glad you have a copy of the mag, they were rare even back in the day as I bought every one I could lay my hands on as I was so pleased at being featured!

Back to the top
I would like to swap dash boards… I have a beautifully preserved series 1 dash with some almost well cut round holes where the rectangle air vents once were. Perfect size for a NASCAR style rev counter and plastic (chrome) air vent from the 'elc' Halfords range. Also selling various stick on carbon fibre trim and a genuine Vw s1 gear nob with a hole drilled in the top to take a st Christopher lucky coin. 

Excuse me joining your banter but I have some real gems in my car. 

Very happy for you getting your hands on the car and I am so glad it's going to have the time and money spent on it! Good luck with your project… it's awesome!!! 

Back to the top
Ouch. That sounds......... tasteful?

Back to the top
Preserving an icon 😉
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.