Skip navigation

What did you do to your Mk1 Golf Today ?

Back to the top
20170204_125733.jpg
Refitted the grill…

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
Looks great Jim  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
20170205_150305.jpg Refitted spare pressed number plate.. off centre obviously. And had little drive around to blow spiders out of heaters

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
20170206_140842.jpg
Took it for the  MOT  . Passed with flying colours.  ..
Funny driving  it again…..forgot  how noisy it is…Woooosshhh    !  …turns a few heads..lol

Back to the top
Looked at it…… 16427326_1273384149407440_1337038766343212119_n.jpg

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
Got mudflaps fitted to my car on the weekend (thanks to Briano1234 for the US shipment) the holes that were pre drilled on the Mudflaps are in different positions to the arch/cover screws on the Euro cars… template, spirit level, Pen & compass - job done :lol: Also ordered 2 exhaust rubber mounts as i noticed 1 had gone & another was weak - while the wheels are off… not the circular diagonal type (sounds a good shape O_o) but more rectangular, being delivered today so they'll be whopped on on the weekend… :thumbs: Ordered them from Euro Car parts  - they had a 25% discount on so got 2 for less than £10 delivered. kerching :P

Back to the top
20170207_173811.jpg Well bit of sun today so made the most of it.  Got out and started snowy again…sacked more rain outta him with vac. Then stripped his battery and yuppy's fuel pump relay and stuck on caster.. whoosh fired first time amazing what a working fuel relay can do. So next hour spent musical cars edging caster to the garage to suck rain from inside him. And to hopefully make start on his 2017 dress up.
Not sure but think got snowy / caster under cxxp car covers just in time..either than or middle earth just openned at Cottam. So now I know 2 relays required 1 as spare

On the drive

Back to the top
Started it up after 2+ months parked …. Record breaking low temps and snow here in BC

My 1988 VW Cabby - YouTube

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
Took yuppy flu for his annual check up.(MOT) the little fella past with no advisory and even without been run on super unleaded he passed emmisons. 20170214_152556.jpg

Still has a few niggles but mainly old age. The fuel pumps still buzzing so will change it sooner or later. Screen washer is tempermental  and the horns are a bit of a whisper

Also managed to get valuation increased and reduce the insurance by £20.  So now sub £200 for 4000 miles,agreed valuation of £7000, excess £50 free roadside recovery.

Last edit: by Kenneth Cartwright

On the drive

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

Took yuppy flu for his annual check up.(MOT) the little fella past with no advisory and even without been run on super unleaded he passed emmisons. 20170214_152556.jpg

Still has a few niggles but mainly old age. The fuel pumps still buzzing so will change it sooner or later. Screen washer is tempermental  and the horns are a bit of a whisper

Also managed to get valuation increased and reduce the insurance by £20.  So now sub £200 for 4000 miles,agreed valuation of £7000, excess £50 free roadside recovery.
From what I have seen it's worth £7k easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Having finished clearing my lockup, I uncovered the car, took it off my mates drive, went round to the filling station. Having topped up the tank and put air in the tyres I went round to the lockup and backed her in.
Seems spiders don't like petrol fumes. They started descending from the roof like a squad of SAS on a raid!

Back to the top
As perhaps some of you have read my posts & stuff will think i'm right fussy, perfectionist whatever.. you're right! :lol: anyway, since i've had my rims refurbed i've been on the search for Dust Shield Protectors to go inside your wheel to stop the brake dust etc. they are like rocking horse shizzel!!! even though there was an oldish guy (no offence) with a light burgundy clipper at Malvern Classic car show last year had them on his car - good idea! #jealous :lol:  so decided i'm gonna make some myself… got some bespoke aluminium 1050 sheet cut - 400mm diameter sheets only 1.2mm thick, ordered arbor bit & hole saw x 2 - going to cut 14mm holes for the wheel nuts, 70mm for the centre (i know the bore is 57.1) but the outer rim is 70mm.. forecast is dry for a few days so i'll take my time, be gentle :$ & attempt to mould these into shape & get them on the car… all being well i may get a bit of spray & lacquer on them too.

funny, as i got a piece of string to measure inside the wheel.. you know what they say :lol:bit of an update - 1.2mm is too thick to shape! i kid you not.. unreal.. had a bleeding nightmare.. marked it all out, hole-sawed too… when it came to shaping it  it didn't wanna budge - much at all!! gutted.. i will be get some more though - thinner for sure :lol:photo E540008F-2306-4568-BBBB-AF713AA75868_zpsrmhlsanm.jpg

Last edit: by Deandubya

Back to the top
Took the Convertible Convertible for a spin today.. didn't it feel good…

Back to the top

I had an hour spare today so thought I would tackle the lock on the boot. It was unlocked and the key wouldn't turn. The previous owner said it was shot and he gave me a brand new set of locks handles and keys for the whole car.
I took the lock out gave it a bit of a clean and noticed one pin was sitting a little high. Five minutes with a file and it's working as good as new.
Refit that lock and moved on to the passenger door lock as that didn't work either. A bit of wd40 in the key hole and bingo another working lock!  Really pleased and I have a complete set just in case (or to sell on at some point!)

Back to the top
 :'( still 3000 miles away at work so just thought about it :'(

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top
I changed the boot strut so now it stays open..... small fries i know.

Back to the top

bareham87 said

I changed the boot strut so now it stays open….. small fries i know.

It's the little details that make all the difference ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Fixed a small hole in the boot floor. Only a temporary fix at the moment but for a first attempt I am very happy with the result.
Also I changed the reverse light bulbs, checked the light clusters and clean up the earth in the boot - still no reverse lights though

Back to the top
Took it for the wheel alignment after Ross fitted a new steering rack…the car actually feels quite nimble and responsive now….instead of feeling like you're steering a boat.. 20170223_143432.jpg

Back to the top
After an ooooh shiney moment i went and collected these beauties  IMG_20170223_194356.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.