Skip navigation

Oldest RHD GTI

Back to the top

Buzetti said

IMG_1043.JPG Mines a pretty early 4 speed RHD car which was built 18th June '79 - I doubt RHD production began much before that date 

That's incredible, can I ask how you got that certificate? I love to get that for my MK1's

Back to the top
VW Musem

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

volkswarren said

VW Musem

Buzetti

As above and it says it on the top of the certificate but here's the link in English!  :thumbs:

http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/en.html

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
I should clarify my comment from "27 November 2016, 8:56 AM" which may help explain the difference between build date and first registered back then for our younger members.

Back then VW was for obvious reasons concentrating on lhd product and limiting one output line to rhd production.

Let's face it, they could sell every single lhd car they could build before they built it.

Let's say a rhd car was built say mid January it might not get to the dealer until 12 to 16 weeks later because of the export/import fun and games. Then there's the shipping and transportation logistics etc…

It seemed to take forever sometimes for both the buyer and the dealer to finally see the car!

I sold them from 83 through 88 and it did get slightly better but not by much I can tell you.
Well not where the GTI was concerned.

Thats why we would load the Mk2 GTI's that we had in stock with all the extras because buyers didn't want to wait and were happy to pay more and drive away within a few days.

I do believe that MK1CabbyWhite has one of the very earliest unless someone knows different!  :lol:  :thumbs:

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

Oldest RHD GTI

Thats a GLi cabby isnt it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Thats a GLi cabby isnt it?

Don't think so my friend if you are referring to the certificate.

Screenshot_20161208-110126.png

But you've got to love this option.
"M 937,  Installation of transparent glass." 😂

But no mention of this one.
T 400,  Wheels fitted with rap around tires! 😁👍

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

Oldest RHD GTI

Golf Cabrio said

I do believe that MK1CabbyWhite has one of the very earliest unless someone knows different!  :lol:  :thumbs:
Either ive miss read but i thought mk1cabbywhite had a gli

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Golf Cabrio said

😊 My mistake mate!

Was at the hospital yesterday while they were messing with my back using these scanners and stuff.

I think they may have got inside my head 🤕 🤔😱 😂👍

Back to the top

Oldest RHD GTI

Lol

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Lol

To honest right now I don't know if I want a Frontal Lobotomy or a bottle in front of me.  😕

Well not strictly true as it's a national holiday here in Austria 🇦🇹 today I've opted for the latter.

Cheers 🍻  😉

Back to the top
image.jpeg

volkswarren said

Golf Cabrio said

That's right I have a 1990 clipper I've finished restoring and am cutrently working on my series 1 1980 gli cab, I wonder if my cab is one of the oldest was 1980 the first year of the golf cabriolet or was it sooner?

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

volkswarren said

VW Musem

Buzetti

As above and it says it on the top of the certificate but here's the link in English!  :thumbs:

http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/en.html

ahh okay cheers guys, did you buy the whole package with the data sheet too? I wonder what extra you get with that

Back to the top

Oldest RHD GTI

I did but mine dont tie up, other wise id have posted a pic, one says 51/2j wheels the cert says 5j.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

Oldest RHD GTI

Took about 2 months not cheap but im happy, or will be once they confirm which wheel size is correct.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top

MK1CabbyWhite said

image.jpeg

volkswarren said

Golf Cabrio said

That's right I have a 1990 clipper I've finished restoring and am cutrently working on my series 1 1980 gli cab, I wonder if my cab is one of the oldest was 1980 the first year of the golf cabriolet or was it sooner?

You bandit my friend as if I'm not confused 😕 enough as it is with this post! 😱

I'll end up with quotes from this post on my head stone when the time comes! 😂

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Took about 2 months not cheap but im happy, or will be once they confirm which wheel size is correct.

Ahh right I see, it's saying about €90 euros atm, I'll have to time it well with brexit and get a good exchange rate…. Hahah

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

MK1CabbyWhite said

image.jpeg

volkswarren said

Golf Cabrio said

You bandit my friend as if I'm not confused 😕 enough as it is with this post! 😱

I'll end up with quotes from this post on my head stone when the time comes! 😂
 😂😂 I'm sorry I'm young can't help my curiosity 😳 Would you have any ideas on my series 1 cab though? I'll dig the paperwork out later there's loads of stuff in there

Last edit: by MK1CabbyWhite

Back to the top

Oldest RHD GTI

I have contacted VW re any data on the 1st RHD but not had much luck.
Dear Mr. Warren,

due to the fact that the Corporate Archives have only been founded in 1997 there are large gaps in tradition because there has been no systematical archiving until that year. Furthermore it has to be considered that not all of the documents have been registered and made accessible yet. Therefore, we can not provide you with any information regarding your question.

Kind regards,
Corporate History Department
Volkswagen Group Communications
i.A.                                               i.A.
Lars Marten Seidel               Ria Oswald

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top
Hi all - I'm new to this forum…don't even have a GTi at the moment - just wanted to say I had a converted RHD 1.6 4speed GTI. Not exactly sure of dates, but it was V reg (EWV 907V), Mars red. Wonderful car - loved it. Suspect it started life as a S or T reg, in Germany. Had the rods & levers brake conversion - terrible!
Replaced by 1.6, 5 speed white X reg. Steve S.

Back to the top
volkswarren - "i searched last week and there is a T reg June 79 in a post from 2007. Dont know if its still around"

yep it's still around…
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.