Skip navigation

Mk1 Caddy

Back to the top

Feel my pain...

So, today I've put it all back together and everything works fine  :thumbs:.
or not…  :lol:.
More like 2 steps forward, 1 back.

Going

Going

Gone (and only a bit of surface rust)

Other side even better

Did some one say 1 step back ??? Yep, I poked the passenger side jacking point  :banghead:

Oh well, something else to add to the list.

I really need to start repairing some of this now so I'm after the various pieces if someone's got some (and a sill!)

Last edit: by Blah blah

Back to the top
I wire brush on the angle grinder, 2 coats of Hydrate 80 and several hours later…

Any recommendations for what I paint it with? Some etch primer, top coat (probably rustoleum) then stone chip? And what do I do with all the holes that were taped and painted over at the factory?

I must admit that after finding more holes I did ask myself "why am I doing this???" - you can see one at the top left of the picture.

Back to the top
No-one, oh well…

Another day, another side

Another hole

And another one…

Front's off as well

Time to think about starting the welding  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Rust treat, etch primer then shutz it, it's bitumen based and although it never completely dries it does the job fantastically
I'd cover the inside faces of wings with wax oil too and all the box sections

I spent about £100 on rust prevention stuff on my Golf Rallye
Paid off as it stayed exactly how i got it in 7 years of use

Back to the top
I took the wishbones and hubs to a friendly garage and they've split the hub however they couldn't get the bushes out of the wishbones. They were worried that the pressure they were applying was going to bend them so they stopped pushing! Presumably 30 odd years of rust has taken their toll and holding them together.

It also appears that the wishbones have suffered from rust as well and are a bit thin in places so I'm thinking about replacing the lot - something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK1-GOLF-JETTA-SCIROCCO-CADDY-PICKUP-FRONT-WISHBONE-BUSH-BALL-JOINT-C906/192848066891?epid=28013249996&hash=item2ce6a3f94b:g:YHkAAOSwRG1cf7Cm

At that price it almost isn't worth fixing the old ones…

Back to the top
Yep replace them.

It's worth it as they can snap, a mates did and caused quite a bit of grief!

Whilst you have the welder out it might be as well to seam weld them too. Then paint as well as the coating on them is not that good.

Good to see it's still moving forward

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well, 2 of these turned up today…

Febi wishbones, bushes, ball joints, clamp thing and all of the nuts and bolts for just over £32 a side delivered.

They look pretty good for the money (most things would when compared to what I took off…) and the welds are nice and smooth. The paint finish isn't the best and bits have chipped but I was going to strip, rust treat and paint them anyway so it's no big deal - it's nice having clean metal to work with though !

Backing plates next and sort out some gas after my holidays !

Back to the top
Not updated this in a while, but then again, I haven't actually done anything to the Caddy in a while either…  :(

Anyway, after a heads-up about a Caddy in a local scrap yard (cheers Ian) I called in to see what it was like - it's worse than mine but this was on the seat.

There were a few other bits but as I didn't have any tools with me I'll have to go back at the week end.

Back to the top
After several months of apathy, a weekend of stripping, wire brushing, rust treating and priming and we end up with this.

And more yet holes - this is where the throttle cable goes through the firewall, and is one of many new holes I've found that will need to be fixed…

Plenty of runs in the primer to sort as well but it's only primer and there are holes to sort so I'll be going back and doing a few bits anyway. Hopefully the lock down will get relaxed enough to get the welder round…

Back to the top
Any stuff done is stuff done and stuff that doesn't have to be done.  :lol:

Deffo looks better  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
And the brake servo has turned up, part number 192 612 105 e says the sticker, which appears to be from a Mk2 8v GTi. It came with a 2 port m/c and reservoir all for the princely sum of £20.

Delivered.

A result in anyone's book.

Regardless, the m/c will be swapped for a 4 port one as they're pretty cheap new anyway.

And I've sourced a slightly better door not too far away that I just need to pick up. With the 2 Mk2 doors I've already got, I should have enough bits to make 2 good Caddy ones from the 5 I'll have.  :lol:

And the front, arches and engine bay have had a couple of coats of good old rustoleum to cover them up because I had a tin.

I've also recently managed to source some more bits for my motorbike and the daily as well so all things considered, a good week (unless you're my bank account)

Back to the top
After fun with the steering rack,  :$  ahem, I picked this up today.

A bit bashed but less rusty that what I have and the mirror's complete and undamaged…. can't complain for 99p  :lol:

Back to the top

Mk1 Caddy

That’s a good price I got £50 for one of my doors with a bit of rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.