Skip navigation

TeeTee's 1990 sapphire GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Hole in the spare wheel well is normal, it's there to let the water out if you have a leak.
When my rear window frame was shot and let water in I put a couple of old lunch boxes at each end of screen (that was where the water was coming in) and stuck on some some stick on Velcro to the bottom of the lunch boxes so they did not move around when driving, you need to remember to empty the water before you drive off as it can splash about!  
I did this for about a year before I found a solid rear window frame and fitted a new roof.

Ah, that makes sense.

I've had a better look today and the water seems to be coming in all along the bottom of the window, which has become very rusty. It is worst toward the passenger-side corner, where there are some wires coming through. It rained overnight and there's a pool on the bottom of the boot floor. I've ordered a frame from VW Heritage (ouch!) so when the weather is warmer and drier I can have a go at replacing it. Until then I guess I'll use it without the parcel shelf and boot carpet in place and some plastic tubs to catch the drips.

Back to the top
I still had the shelf in so the plastic tubs was not that far from the window frame.
Try and find a long thin tin/plastic box the length of the window?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Yeah – I need to find a baguette box!

The parcel shelf now is drying out. All the water has damaged the board and the carpet has come unstapled. It's not too bad, and isn't really noticeable when it's clipped in place, but I wouldn't want it to get any worse. It's only cardboard/fibreboard, isn't it?

I'm surprised by how poor that piece of design is on the rear window seal/roof. I'd have thought it would've been possible to get the window to sit slightly more flush with the roofskin so as not to allow water to accumulate on the seal. It's just asking for trouble!

Back to the top

Snap I have same problem
My first shelf had go in bin could not do any thing with it
So now lump ply wood with carpet on. Least when gets wet easy dry now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Not much of an update, but I drove it up to my mum's this morning. The vital stats (or so the MFA says) were as follows:

Then I gave it a bit of a clean. Back in January I had a bout of ice in the front footwells. I couldn't work out why; turns out the scuttle drains were blocked with dead leaves from when it'd been parked under a tree in autumn. Satisfying to fix it, a little annoying that I'd let something so obvious happen in the first place. Anyhow, I gave the carpets and seats a good clean.

While I was cleaning it a little boy walked past with his dad. He was like, "Wooooooow! I love your car! It's the best ever!" His dad was similarly impressed!

Back to the top
That's another MK1 fan in the making then!  :thumbs:  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Haha! Yep.

And the stats for the return journey are as follows:

So that will have blown out all the cobwebs.

It's running nicely, but the alternator is squeaky and it needs a new rocker gasket - it's leaking oil. Still, it feels amazing tearing up and down the A1 in a 27 year old car.

Back to the top

No major news, just a wash, clay bar, polish, and wax, and wax, and wax.

I fitted replacement window scrapers the other day. Discovered today that the plastic bit on the driver's side door striker has gone, so replacing that is next on the list.

Back to the top
Looks spanking  :thumbs:  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Took it up to GTI SPRINGfest at Santa Pod yesterday. Despite the scuffs, I think it held its own in the show n' shine, and it attracted some favourable comments, which is always nice. The modded stuff isn't really my scene, but there were still some great cars on show. Plus I got to have a good chat with Yomp and to admire his Campaign.

And we got to have some B road fun on the drive home. All in all, a fun day out.

Back to the top
Sounds a good day. I'm yet to see Graham's Campaign in the flesh yet!

I do like your Cabby, that's such a good colour for them  :cool:  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.