Skip navigation

The Annual Gathering Improvement Thread

Back to the top

Planning for AG 2016 already!!

So as with every year it’s time to ask for your thoughts on improvements for next year please guys

Every year we try to improve on what was said the previous years thread and also try new things to get the show working better (or worse) and also try to improve as we grow larger every year. I have a list already as to what i want to do but let me know your thoughts

So whatever you need to say, whether it be a complaint or a compliment, no offence will be taken and we will answer any questions if we can

We always want to do the best possible for you our members so please post up

Thanks

Banner

Back to the top
Another great show!

My thoughts-

- The show and shine was a good sized space but felt it was too remote from the rest of the show, plus having to mix with all the dog show goers, which I know was not our fault.  The main reason I think, was to miss out on going through the sand trap, but it was only for those like me that didn't stay over on the Saturday night that got the benefit.  I suggest we buy some sort of covering to go over the sand and have the show area back where it was.

-Daily driver class for S&S was too big, suggest two classes for hatch and Cabby.

- I know other venues are being thought about, Donnigton would be great but might struggle to not clash with race meet and have a fenced off area for everything we want - no doubt the exhibition call would be too expensive?  Does have a Supermarket in Castle Donnington for supplies.

- Could we have a car wash area with hose and a vacuum cleaner for those that have used their car all weekend and want to show it?

- any experts that could do demos through the day eg - replacing seat cloth, detailing your car, taking out dashboard instruments etc

-finally make it twice a year!

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Hi Jelly.. First of all, thanks for everything you guys did. I wish I had come for the whole weekend now  :(

I did however have a couple of ideas which I shared with Hairyarse. On my way to the show, it threw it down and trashed 3 days of cleaning and preparation. Wheels off etc.. I knew I would have to get close to the racecourse and find a pressure washer. Luckily there was one within half a mile. However, when I got there, there was a young lady in her mk1 cabby also pressure washing prior to the show and shine. She must have put a fiver at least through the pressure washer at the petrol station.. So my first idea for an improvement and as a way to raise some money for the club is to have a couple of cheap pressure washers set up in a designated cleaning zone to take the pressure and stress off trying to get to the show in a gleaming car. It could be open all weekend and make some money for the club at a couple of quid a go. All it would need is a couple of pressure washers, a couple of buckets, some wash and wax car shampoo, maybe some hose pipe and extension leads. But it would pay for itself easily and be there for the following years.

I remember last year I got all my arches and wheels full of wet sand and after several days cleaning prior to the show really brassed me off and I very nearly didn't come this year because of it.. Despite the fact we managed to get around that issue, it still rained and trashed my car on route, so for the past two years I feel there has been strong argument to have a dedicated pressure washer area for people to use and I bet it would see plenty of use..

My second idea is an award for most memorable moment. Maybe voted for on the forum and the event be recorded in an agm hall of fame perhaps. For example, having a wheel fall off?.. The award could then be tailored to the circumstances.. Not as ground breaking as my first idea perhaps, but a bit of fun none the less..

Back to the top
Another great show!

My thoughts-

- The show and shine was a good sized space but felt it was too remote from the rest of the show, plus having to mix with all the dog show goers, which I know was not our fault.  The main reason I think, was to miss out on going through the sand trap, but it was only for those like me that didn't stay over on the Saturday night that got the benefit.  I suggest we buy some sort of covering to go over the sand and have the show area back where it was.

This was the reason for the S&S being where it was to try to avoid the sand. Unfortunaltly we cannot cover the sand as this will be damaging to the racecourse of so they say. I will continue to deal with the racecourse about this for another improvement

-Daily driver class for S&S was too big, suggest two classes for hatch and Cabby. Ok nice thought, i didnt have much time to look around the Daily class but maybe it would be worth splitting it up. We will look into this

- I know other venues are being thought about, Donnigton would be great but might struggle to not clash with race meet and have a fenced off area for everything we want - no doubt the exhibition call would be too expensive?  Does have a Supermarket in Castle Donnington for supplies. Yea we will start (after a week off) to look into current and new venues but if anyone has any thoughts please let us know so we can check them out as mentioned in the meeting on saturday

- Could we have a car wash area with hose and a vacuum cleaner for those that have used their car all weekend and want to show it? I did get a hose pipe set up next to the far grandstand but this was ruined with the dog show (but that another story)

- any experts that could do demos through the day eg - replacing seat cloth, detailing your car, taking out dashboard instruments etc Will look into it

-finally make it twice a year! Defintley not, as my legs and feet wouldnt take it

Banner

Back to the top
Hi Jelly.. First of all, thanks for everything you guys did. I wish I had come for the whole weekend now  :(I did however have a couple of ideas which I shared with Hairyarse. On my way to the show, it threw it down and trashed 3 days of cleaning and preparation. Wheels off etc.. I knew I would have to get close to the racecourse and find a pressure washer. Luckily there was one within half a mile. However, when I got there, there was a young lady in her mk1 cabby also pressure washing prior to the show and shine. She must have put a fiver at least through the pressure washer at the petrol station.. So my first idea for an improvement and as a way to raise some money for the club is to have a couple of cheap pressure washers set up in a designated cleaning zone to take the pressure and stress off trying to get to the show in a gleaming car. It could be open all weekend and make some money for the club at a couple of quid a go. All it would need is a couple of pressure washers, a couple of buckets, some wash and wax car shampoo, maybe some hose pipe and extension leads. But it would pay for itself easily and be there for the following years.

I remember last year I got all my arches and wheels full of wet sand and after several days cleaning prior to the show really brassed me off and I very nearly didn't come this year because of it.. Despite the fact we managed to get around that issue, it still rained and trashed my car on route, so for the past two years I feel there has been strong argument to have a dedicated pressure washer area for people to use and I bet it would see plenty of use..
I did get a hose set on the saturday for people washing off but this was ruined by dog show, very annoying on my part. Its definatly something i want to get sorted for the future :)

My second idea is an award for most memorable moment. Maybe voted for on the forum and the event be recorded in an agm hall of fame perhaps. For example, having a wheel fall off?.. The award could then be tailored to the circumstances.. Not as ground breaking as my first idea perhaps, but a bit of fun none the less.. Nice idea this one walt i like that, i also like the Hall of fame thing which has already go my head going with an idea :) so thanks for that

Banner

Back to the top
It did feel a little bit "spaced out" this year, and a lot of people chose to go to S&S or traders area, they did move from one to another, but the "flow" of people didn't seem that great.

It would be great to have the Merchandise tent near to the S&S - as that is where the crowds were (not sure how this will work on the Saturday though)

Matt

Banner

Back to the top
I want to suggest a map of the showground too.. A bit like you would get at Alton towers.. (Of course no rollercoasters before anyone goes there) Going back to the point about a designated cleaning area, I had no idea a hose had been left for us to clean our cars. I personally don't think that is enough anyway to be honest. But lets assume next year there are a couple of pressure washers and a henry vac for example. An aerial map of the showground would not only show exactly what was there, but how to get to it. It would also partly solve the issue mentioned about the showground being away from the stalls. If everyone knew where everything was, I am sure more people would explore all areas of the show. Maybe.. ?.. But certainly for toilets, food and cleaning area, it would get a huge thumbs up from me..

Back to the top
As for raising club funds.. Do we have anyone who could do an official video of the event?.. Easy enough to do and I reckon it would make a great keepsake if it were burnt to disc at say a tenner a pop inclusive of p&p.. It could cover drive out, camping, fancy dress doo and show.. Just a thought

Back to the top
Hi Guys

Firstly as always a huge thank you to the committee and everyone involved for another epic AGM to remember.

Few things I thought about this year

(1) Showers - The shower block is ok, but the 6 or is it 8 showers is often not enough and once a few are being used there is no enough pressure in the pumps to get the water out of all showers being used at same time jellybelly give me a shout mate as I reckon its worth a call, at Bristol Volksfest each year they have a 40ft artic trailer turn up which is manned by a male and female owner . Think they just need water supply and electric. It contains around 20 showers, and once someone has finished using it, they quickly squidgy off the floor, wipe it over and then call the next person in. There is proper steps to get into it, and it really good. Loads of hooks to put your stuff, not puddles of water on floor etc, make it a nice comfortable shower, especially with a hang over from the Sat night. At Volksfest weekend camping tickets guys get to use if for free so could be worth seeing if it could be included within AGM ticket price.

(2) Portalo's - In camping field could do with a few more, and would there be a possibility of the company coming in to empty and clean them Sat night or Sunday morning ?

(3) Catering - I didn't use much as bought BBQ etc , but I heard someone mention the racecourse said we had to use their catering, I think the ice cream van and general food vans were missed by a few this year. I know someone with a pie and mash van, so if van catering is an option again next year I could give them a shout

Work is painful today! next year I am having the Monday off after AGM. Was great to see faces new and old

Rich :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Ive been down to the last 3 agms and love the venue. Although I know that the club are getting more and more hassle from the race course.
Personally for us it is a 355 mile each way trip so if the venue is to move could a central location be kept in mind.
I spent the week building up to the agm washing and polishing the car and as above, it got dirty on the way down, so yes a washing area would be good.
Finally, porta loos, next year can we have porta loos with soft closing doors please?

Only joking 😉
Well done to all involved in the planning and running of the event.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top

walt said

I want to suggest a map of the showground too.. A bit like you would get at Alton towers.. (Of course no rollercoasters before anyone goes there) Going back to the point about a designated cleaning area, I had no idea a hose had been left for us to clean our cars. I personally don't think that is enough anyway to be honest. But lets assume next year there are a couple of pressure washers and a henry vac for example. An aerial map of the showground would not only show exactly what was there, but how to get to it. It would also partly solve the issue mentioned about the showground being away from the stalls. If everyone knew where everything was, I am sure more people would explore all areas of the show. Maybe.. ?.. But certainly for toilets, food and cleaning area, it would get a huge thumbs up from me..

Hi Walt, I did publish the layout map here:
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/AG2015/index.php?page=venuemap

Are you thinking of a sign or handouts over the weekend ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
walt more good points

there was a map of the event on the A5 leaflet you should have gotten at the gate, but this was at the day gate not the S&S gate, this was our mistake. The pressure washers and a vac is a very valid point and is high on the list of improvements :)

Also i video has been filmed  this year for our promotion purposes so that will be out soon :)

richyhill

(1) i understand that there was ques for the showers in the mornings, normally we have a block of 4 but we got a block of 6 with a 2000 litre waste tank, which we filled in 1 day (and it was full on sunday too) which was a massive surprise to me and also the shower people! the issue we had last year with cold showers were sorted with this new tailor i know the pressure did drop when all were in use but this is a issue with the feed from the course.
Maybe next year we can look into having a few more and some cleaning gear in there for people to use, the thing with having staff to man the shower is simply the cost, but good point made, i was told to get a squidgy but slipped my mind

(2) the amount of campers this year has surprised us, we had 6 toilets last year in one block, we had 8 this year in 2 block of 4. i think we need more next year and we will have, i walk round them and restocked with toilet paper on Saturday and thought there were not to bad but understand on sunday they were getting rough. we also had access to all the toilet area in the buildings as well. All noted so will look into the options we have :)

(3) Catering this year was a nightmare!! i can only apoligise for this i spent most of the weekend sorting this as best i could
We were not allowed our normal lady there, we have to use the racecourses things, there van on friday night had a huge gas leak so had to be shut so they catered in there fix stalls on the grandstand. If im honest the catering situation was extremely unacceptable (as politely put as i can) and am already working on it :)

Banner

Back to the top

walt said

As for raising club funds.. Do we have anyone who could do an official video of the event?.. Easy enough to do and I reckon it would make a great keepsake if it were burnt to disc at say a tenner a pop inclusive of p&p.. It could cover drive out, camping, fancy dress doo and show.. Just a thought

Hi Walt,
MDB took loads of video footage this year, from both Saturday and Sundays events. I think between MDB and 36thcrazyfist they are going to put a video together - sounds like a good idea to create a video memento though - Si ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

walt said

Hi Walt, I did publish the layout map here:
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/AG2015/index.php?page=venuemap

Are you thinking of a sign or handouts over the weekend ?
I thought a map hand out on entrance to the venue would have been useful.

Back to the top
Another point I mentioned last year is that when prizes are given out, they are presented to the owner and unless everyone knows who that person is and which one is their car, nobody really knows which cars won.. Ok so last year there was a post on here showing the winning cars, but I always liked the idea of either a winners enclosure or winners driving up in their cars to collect their prize. Just so everyone can see what actually won on the day. Surely that couldn't be too difficult to arrange?

Back to the top

walt said

Another point I mentioned last year is that when prizes are given out, they are presented to the owner and unless everyone knows who that person is and which one is their car, nobody really knows which cars won.. Ok so last year there was a post on here showing the winning cars, but I always liked the idea of either a winners enclosure or winners driving up in their cars to collect their prize. Just so everyone can see what actually won on the day. Surely that couldn't be too difficult to arrange?

Agreed, I had planned to have each winner drive up to get their prize in their car, but with 'dog show issues' the layout didn't happen as we wanted, apologies, but will be a definite for next year.

Staffordshire Regional Host support

Banner

Back to the top
jellybelly

Thanks for the feedback from the comfort of that wingback chair  :thumbs:

Definitely worth giving these guys with the shower trailer a call, its really good, so might be worth seeing how the price differs to the non manned ones.

Sounds like u did have a nightmare with the catering, but hey these things happen, there are always going to be problems. Each year the AGM improves and improves and I can imagine it does not help with the race course being more of a pain.

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Amazing show as per but a couple of little improvements

My 2 main things were how spaced out the event was and that dog show.

1) - the "spaced out" feel. - I feel that the S&S was better last year near the traders and i think that it all over that one area was good but a little cramped where as this year was over too much space with too much empty. I know the weather had a little effect in the morning.

My idea would be to maybe use the field by the traders  abit more, maybe for the Regional displays, then use the same as last year for the S&S

or

Have it like this year but put the traders where the dog show parking was and use that little block and then use infront on that marquee down the far end for regional and make where regional were for some entertainment stuff/ demos like mentioned above or even a "too good for car park" for day entry people who are in mk1's but not booked tickets to show the car.

2) - Dog Show - As for location I think Uttoxeter is perfect. Nice location, close amenities, good driving roads for the drive out & central. I feel it would be a shame to move but one thing has to be said. IF they have any other event on the same time next year I would not use the venue.

For the show to be there it needs to be more "exclusive" so that you have full control for the show. If they turn round and say no then unfortunatly I would look elsewhere. I know this will be a hard take but between us I am sure we could find some possible replacements.

I feel this was because, A- there were in our way, and B it made the middle part of the show look abit rubbish with all their cars there.

Back to the top
Very good points and comments here!! 

walt there's a position on the committee for you lol very good points raised by you. 

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
Firstly I would like to see a big thank you to all for organising such a fantastic weekend and all your hard work.

We had a great time, my only issue was the music out of one of cars with the biggest sub in the world in pumping out till 3am! That kept waking my three year old daughter up. Spoke to a lot of families that had the same problem. To me an easy fix this to would be no music after 10pm and split the field up into two sections main camping and family/quiet camping. That way all the parents with kids can get them to sleep and the people with out children can be as loud as they want till when they want As long as the music's off. Then everyone is happy.

The only other thing for me that has been mentioned already is the porta loo's being full by Saturday night, this might be my fault as I do have a weak bladder once on the beers lol.

But these are only two negatives against thousands of positives.
But the first one does really need to happen to keep the families  with young kids coming back  :thumbs:

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.