Skip navigation

Carpet underlay

Back to the top
yeah that sounds fine, there is only a tiny sheet of the stuff on the inside of the door so doing the whole door skins will help :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Hi
Have you had a look at Woolies website. They seem to do a lot of trim parts for classics. They had a stand at the NEC last year and had a roll of sound deadening felt about  half an inch thick but without the bitumen layer. They also do sticky bitumen pads for inside the doors-but are expensive

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yeah you will have a layer of soundproofing stuck to the floorpan, im not sure exactly what it is made of. its easy to mistake it as the floorpan of the car on first glance but if you look closely you'll see it there
Yeah, I just tried to remove rust from it with a wire brush. Turns out it's more like bitumen, and the "rust" was just dust from the underlay :lol:

rubjonny said

any track car build thread you'll see the poor bugers trying to remove it :lol:
Are you saying I don't have to remove it to put sound deadening down???

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
There is a easy way and a hard way to remove it.

Hard way scrubbing rubbing and wire-wheeling it to submission.

Heat gun and a scraper work.

Easy way, Dry ice,  place dry ice on it for a few minutes, then smack with a rubber mallet and it breaks apart, move the dry ice to new location and repeat…..

There are plenty of threads on the vwvortex where this was used successfully.
Shocky Jr. Updates

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
The trouble is that dry ice is expensive and hard to get at the moment.

What is the benefit of removing it?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
no need to really unless its rusty under there and/or you want to strip it all back to metal and re-paint. comes down to the state of your floor pans

Back to the top
I was planning on stripping and re-painting, but that when I thought it was all rusty. Not much point in sanding off the factory paint if it's fine.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top

Carpet underlay

I just put carpet underlay in.
It’s the felt stuff so it’s pretty decent thickness.
The carpet always pulls away at the door sill.
So if you put more in and text fit the carpet you’ll judge how much is needed.
As the old stuff wears the carpet sinks pulling away.
I put a layer over the centre tunnel, up the back behind the pedals and Into the foot wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
I'm in the planning stage at the moment.

Interesting what you say about the carpet pulling away. I was planning on using CCF there, but perhaps that's a bad idea as it will compress a lot underfoot. Maybe just underlay there then. I was thinking of the Newton pre-cut: Screenshot 2020-04-11 at 14.40.29.png

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
There is about a 1/2 padding under my carpet OEM, and that is fine until it does compress and the stitching tears on the sides allowing the door gap…at the foot well.  I have over the years used my handi-stitcher to sew the side covers back to the carpet and added new padding to sort of assist it with the issue as the side beading on the carpet is held in place by the weather strip holding it in place.

I will say this my 81 Diesel over the 20 years of ownership never had this issue, and I had over 330Kmiles on it when I sold it.
but then again I had the LS model which had the better carpet and padding.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
My carpet looks to be original and seems fine. Maybe because it's low milage?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
I posted links on the first page to all the stuff I used, its great stuff just have to cut it out yourself ;)

Back to the top
This thread got me thinking I need to consider underlay for my project.
I've alwyas felt that it should be non-absorbant, even though the the original stuff isn't.
Sadly the links that RJ posted orignally no longer resolve on ebay (hardly surprising, it's been a few years!). Anyway, I found this on Ebay which looks good:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-Adhesive-Vehicle-Car-Underlay-Sound-Insulation-Heat-Car-Van-Camper-Boat-11mm/263936584776
Certainly non-absorbant.

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

Back to the top
Same company I've ordered my MLV from.

The second one is twice as dense as the first, and slightly thinner. It probably compresses less which would be good reducing carpet slippage. Perhaps I'll skip the Newton stuff. Quite expensive though. Similar to covering the same area with thinner CCF and MLV.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
Be interested to know how much you ordered and where you stuck it - assuming you aren't covering the entire floor pan.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
I haven't started yet. Still tidying up the floor and bulk head.

What I've ordered doesn't represent my final plan as I'm learning a lot all the time.

So far I have:
CLD - (Bought before I knew you don't have to cover completely)
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00020CB2S/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401862304569

On the way:
CCF - (Light so I don't mind using a lot. Got 8mm and 4mm stuff for various areas)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QW2RL2Q/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TKXCN6F/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

MLV - (This might be too light as it is only 1.5mm)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263934654841

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
What are all these holes? Okay to cover them?

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 18.40.43.png

These are attractive. What are they?

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 18.40.20.png

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
cover/bung the round holes, looks liek they go into box sections under the floor pan so tape would be enough. the ugly one looks like a poor rust repair job in the past, if it looks solid underneath then no need to worry about it for now

Back to the top
Okay, I'll bung them. There was tape there before. It looked factory.

There is one ugly one in each footwell. There's no rust, just stains that look like rust. I'll check underneath. Cheers.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.