Skip navigation

Carpet underlay

Back to the top
Evening!

So I picked up my first mk1 golf cabriolet last week and am in the process of setting about making her perfect again! (The more things I do the more jobs I seem to be uncovering though!)
I will get round to starting a restore/ build post but just after some advice first of all.

So I've taken out the old carpets and seats - the plan was to replace the seats and door cards with some new ones id got off eBay to tidy her up a bit. Then I was going to simply clean the carpet once out and boom - job done.

Anyway… Long story short I've now identified that when the roof leaked before - the carpet hadn't been pulled out and underlay was absolutely soaked through all the way. It explains the musty smell which got a whole lot worst when everything was taken out. 
The positive note though is that the car is solid and can't see a single patch of rust underneath it all. The previous sound deadening is absolutely stuck on to the contours of the car - and it looks good enough that I'm tempted to leave it there as I don't think I'll get much benefit from it.
So I need to replace all the underlay and rubber lining that was under the carpet. I'm not sure if mine was a standard underlay or if someone's replaced it at some point - however there was a rubber lining over all the underlay to sit under the carpet. It's all got that wet that even the rubber easily tears in half now so I'd like to replace it all.
Now I know I could get some standard carpet underlay and cut it to fit but it looks like it would be a faff of a job so was wondering if there were some pre cut bits.
Looking on Newton commercial they have a sound proofing kit to fit under the carpet but it doesn't look like the underlay that I need to replace. Any advice?

Was the underlay on my car done by someone else as extra sound proofing before and is it just the standard panels that would be required? Or do I need to get a roll and get cutting…

(If pics are of benefit I'll get some posted up to explain what I mean)

Cheers in advance! 

Back to the top
It sounds like you've found the original sound proofing. The Newton kit is good but not quite as thick as original I think, so you may find the carpet pulls away at the sills. Double thickness could be needed?

You could try Mark funk-star in case he's got any originals kicking about. Failing that I'd go for the Newton kit and beef it up with some regular, cheap soundproofing if necessary.

Membership will get you discount with Newtons too ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply,

Not sure if it's the same stuff that I mean though, I've attached a pic of it (bare in mind it's broken and ripped in the pic) 

It goes all the way up behind the dash etc too though and (judging from the pic on the newton website) there bits are just square sections. I may be wrong though and would gladly be pointed in the right direction.

I don't fancy doing a DIY job on it as I want to know that every single piece I get for the car is making it pretty much as good as can be. Either up to standard as new or better if poss!

Cheers again :-) 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Yep that's the original stuff ;) It seems nasty when it's old and smelly but it's dense and heavy so I guess does the job - must slow you down though! lol

Dynamat is a good call but a bit pricey if doing the whole floor and it's thin, so again you'd need to beef up the thickness under the carpet

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I know the Dynamat is expensive but you will not regret doing it. I did mine with Dynamat with the deadening material from Newton's on top of that.
One thing to add is that Dynamat does add a fair bit of weight. I think I have added 25-30kg's to my wife's car. There are some pic's on

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Fit-started-with-a-leak

Lee

Back to the top
Cheers guys, appreciate the replies.
How many sheets of the dynamat would you say you need for the car? Love your thread by the way - definitely going to be taking a few pointers off you! Why do i get the feeling that you love your wife's car more than she does though haha??

think if im going to do the dynamat i need to chose my new audio system and re-wire all that in whilst I'm there. Was only supposed to be a quick job of changing the seats to replace a ripped one and now ive given myself a whole load of other jobs to do!

Raymond

Back to the top
the black bit is a bitumen layer, i didnt bother replacing that when i redid all my underlay from scratch. i found some stuff with a black layer on it for additional deadening plus some green stuff which looed to be a good replacment for the non bitumen coated parts. come out really well actualy, but i cant say it has made much of a difference to the noise levels inside the car :lol:

the bitumen stuff weighs an absolute ton so was glad to be rid of it tbh

I spent £76 in total and have a load left over, i also bought a roll of stuff which looked perfect to do the boot carpet with but not got round top doing that one yet

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
If I remember correctly I bought a bulk pack which I think was about 40 sq feet and then a couple of additional packs that had about 3 sheets in each which I think are about 1 m2 or 10 sq/ft . The diamond pattern stuff is called Skinz.

Skinz also do like a foam panel insert material for the doors which I put in behind the speakers to cut down on resonance and road noise.

All the speakers are JL audio with a JL audio amp and a Hertz slim-line sub in the boot.

As my thread says I was looking for the source of the damp patch and got carried away! LOL

My wife loves the car..I love tinkering I think I must have had about 20 gti's over the years and kind off fell out with them when I had a MK 3 16v. Had a brief liaison with an MK5 r32
I was going to buy her a TT cabriolet but she said she wanted a Lhasa green convertible like the campaign  tin top we once had instead…Don't exist I think!!
She is a bit miffed its been off the road for a second summer but we have been so busy moving house etc. She does have an A class AMG to drive as her daily driver so that has placated her

Back to the top
non backed:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GR-VAN-CARVAN-CAMPER-INSULATION-UNDER-FELT-UNDERLAY-SOUND-DEADENING-PROOFING-T5/251457499387

backed (thicker one)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BK-VAN-CARVAN-CAMPER-INSULATION-UNDER-FELT-UNDERLAY-SOUND-DEADENING-PROOFING-T5-/261487251910

boot carpet:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-AUTOMOTIVE-CARPET-WITH-UNDER-FELT-INSULATION-CAR-VAN-HORSE-BOX-BOAT-CAMPER/261455865730

was dead easy i just drew round the old stuff with felt marker and snip snip. added a bit more than factory over the tunnel and some other areas. if i was to do it again i probably wouldnt bother with the non-backed stuff tbh, just use the backed stuff everywhere

Back to the top
Cheers guys. Massively appreciate it! The quick responses and great advice convinced me to cough up the member ship fee! Going to spend today removing the knee bar and possibly the rest of the dash, makes for easier access by the looks of your pics. Then I'll clean up all the floor properly. Amazing the amount of rubbish that can get underneath everything! Then i think ill choose the audio set up i want and set about choosing what to use. Leaning towards the dynamat as everyone i see thats used it says its ace, and i want to make sure that i don't cut any corners on this car to make it the best i can! Did you find that the dynamat was thick enough under your carpet or did the newton comms stuff on top of the dynamat beef it up a bit? Guess I'm looking at £150 all in?

Back to the top
sorry thats a mk2 golf :lol:

but yeah if you want to do up behind dash removing it and the knee bar would help, but you may find just having dash out is enough  as then you have a fair bit of clearance to see behind the bar

Back to the top
The Dynamat is only about 4mm thick tops. Not sure if got my sound deadening from Newtons or Crazy Quiffs.
I think if you did not fit the full set it would be a bit like putting your carpets down on a bare floor in your house

Back to the top
Forgive my naivety now - but isn't this stuff that's already there the same as the dynamat? Or is it a form of it and the dynamat will just add to it? 

It looks as if it's the manufacturers form of sound proofing. Unless someone has added it at a later date (I'm struggling in the car to see what's an add on and what was original!)

Cheers
Raymond C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
I don't know about anyone else but under the sound deadening on mine was just painted floor pan. I can't see any photo's not even in my own post as my clients IT police block photobucket and other media sharing sites.
There may be a pic on my thread showing it with deadening removed

Back to the top
I can't see all the photos on your thread… Unfortunately the one that I think would have the underlay stripped back is one of the ones I can't see! Just says the links broken :/

It's definitely not painted metal on the floor of mine though - looks like it's been soundproofed in the past possibly. 
Not sure if anyone else can advise based on my pic?

Back to the top
yeah you will have a layer of soundproofing stuck to the floorpan, im not sure exactly what it is made of. its easy to mistake it as the floorpan of the car on first glance but if you look closely you'll see it there

any track car build thread you'll see the poor bugers trying to remove it :lol:

Back to the top

E3 RPL said

I can't see all the photos on your thread… Unfortunately the one that I think would have the underlay stripped back is one of the ones I can't see! Just says the links broken :/

It's definitely not painted metal on the floor of mine though - looks like it's been soundproofed in the past possibly. 
Not sure if anyone else can advise based on my pic?

I think the links were broken when the site was migrated over to its current format

Back to the top
Thanks for coughing up for membership E3 RPL  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yep that's the stuff…

So the dynamat will still improve things further beyond that original sound proofing I guess? See the sound wasn't an issue in the wells for me before… The doors though ye definitely - and think it'd be good to get rid of that tinny sound as it shuts. 
But maybe if I got a roll of the backed underlay for the floor plan - that would make sure the carpet fits nice and snug (that's my main concern to be honest as the riff will be down when I use it anyway!) and then maybe dynamat the doors when I whack the new speakers in… 
Can't see any harm with that?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.