Skip navigation

Trip to Ireland and a run around the ring of Kerry

Back to the top

Who would be interested ?

Hi All

we just looking at ferries and was wondering do we need to book seats or cabin as these are charged extra or would there be plenty of free seating when we get on there ??

Back to the top
We have not booked cabin or anything other than the crossing - plan just to get some food and there will be plenty of seats or out on deck :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Well I am gutted to say that after serious consideration hubby and I will not br able to make the Ireland trip in Sept. We will defo be up for it next year though if it is happening again. We wish all those that are going a brilliant and safe journey there and back and will look forward to seeing the pics on here.

Back to the top

m11geg said

Well I am gutted to say that after serious consideration hubby and I will not br able to make the Ireland trip in Sept. We will defo be up for it next year though if it is happening again. We wish all those that are going a brilliant and safe journey there and back and will look forward to seeing the pics on here.

m11geg Sorry guys to hear you can't make the trip. It should be good and of course we will post the pics!  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Time is running out for getting booked in for this trip! I was down in Cork / Kerry holidaying last week and the weather and scenery were spectacular. I stopped off en route to see a couple of rest stops namely Glenbeigh beach which looked brill. Can't wait for this…

So let us know what your doing? travelling or not? booked in or not?

9double9
Gaz8374
ivortheengine
dentdoc
slippy
Miotog
andyphill
Desperado
WarwickMcC
IrishGTI
irishpete
jimo

Just a couple of usernames I remember…  ;)

Of course all Mk1 welcome! I sent out a reminder (to all Irish Region members) last week to generate/gauge interest.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
I fly home on the 2nd September, so i am gauging the reaction of my wife at the moment, i may just have to bring the tent and camp as it will be a last minute decision.
Andy

Back to the top

andyphill said

I fly home on the 2nd September, so i am gauging the reaction of my wife at the moment, i may just have to bring the tent and camp as it will be a last minute decision.
Andy

Hi Andy it could be a cracking weekend - just hope the weather holds up too.

Welcome to spin down to Kilkenny/Waterford direction (at leisure) and link with us on the Friday night. I'm meeting the guys off the boat about 19:30 in Waterford after the toll bridge. Head for Sneem then.

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
OK Folks… its time to have a look at our route for our Ring of Kerry tour in two weeks time - Saturday 6th September!

This is it…  :thumbs:

Couple of bits to note:

Our Start and Finish points are at car park of the Sneem Bay Hotel in Sneem, Co Kerry. Its a little over 200KM so have filled up with fuel!

Going to say meet and greet from 10-10:30 am with info meet and maps available here. Lunch and fuel stop is in Goldens of Kells eta here is approx 13:30.

After lunch planning on taking the ferry onto Valentia Island for €6 single and coming back over the Skellig Ring into Ballinskelligs. This is supposed to be pretty steep and narrow and not for the faint-hearted but the views are spectacular out onto the Islands. On Map above you can follow the red route to miss the steep bit and link later.  :)

We want the cars to convoy as much as possible together but if you want to do your own thing and meet at the meeting points that's Ok too.

Plan to be back in Hotel for 18:00 time for Jacuzzi / Guinness / Sleep?

Mk1 Dinner in the Hotel @ 20:00 if not staying in the hotel make your reservation with myself or Paul and we will book you in.

Should be a great weekend.  :cool:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
I forgot to say any Questions - post them up!

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
That's magic Hugh !!!
Getting excited now :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Well the general consensus from the family is that i should go, seems it will be used as my birthday treat. I just need to get Heather to see if a room is still available as calls from the middle east are not the best, if not it will be a tent for me.
Andy

Back to the top

andyphill said

Well the general consensus from the family is that i should go, seems it will be used as my birthday treat. I just need to get Heather to see if a room is still available as calls from the middle east are not the best, if not it will be a tent for me.
Andy

That's great news Andy.  :thumbs:

There should be still vacancies under our booking name see page 2 on this thread. Still welcome to link with us on Friday eve or head down earlier yourself. Paul will be in the hotel on the Friday night to link with early arrivals.  :cool:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Well hotel is booked and Heather is coming along as well, so we are just going to take a slow drive down on Friday. It will be a nice break for us as the last time we were in Sneem was over 20 years ago.
Andy

Back to the top
Excellent news Andy & Heather.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Just having a proper look at this for the first time…says a lot about me.
AA says 198 miles to Sneem from rosslare , 4 1/2 hour drive. Ferry due in 1845 so it's getting on midnight by the time we get there.
230 miles in eng/wales
Hope the bar is still open

Back to the top
I know the feeling, Co down Northern Ireland to Sneem 314 miles and 6 hours 16 minutes according to the AA. I know the new motor way South to Dublin is very good but i have not been further south for far to long so not sure what the roads are like now. It will all be worth the drive when we get there though as it is a lovely part of the country.
Andy

Back to the top
Jeees thats a long way, Friday will be a really long day, 4 and a half hours to Pembroke thats 225 miles then 200 miles across Ireland.. Phew!
Hope its not a choppy crossing  :(

Back to the top
Yea, but that is half the fun of it !!

We will leave about 6am on the Friday for a gentle run through Wales.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
You guys will be fine - just bring plenty of money for fuel.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
OK… Little update from the Hotel today. We have just 7 rooms booked and held in mk1 owners club name.

If you do not book by Saturday evening the remaining rooms will be opened to the general public and sold accordingly - so you have a few days remaining to get your self booked in! Again first come first served basis.

Come on lads and lassies… the weather is going to pick up too…  :)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.